PDA

View Full Version : Clams for nutrient redux???

doch
03-28-2012, 02:41 PM
I was doing some snooping around at some point and reading somebody's tank write up (can't remember whose). This person had attributed their very low nutrients to the number of clams that they had in the tank. At that point, I came up with a plan to add a small clam tank with a bunch of cheap, clams in it to help with nutrients. Here is my plan:
Display -> sump w/skimmer -> water change tank -> Refugium w/macro -> Clam tank -> sump ->Display

I'm also running GFO, prodibio, and VSV (I'll be going to VV, or just vodka after this bottle is done).

My phosphates are at .05, my Nitrates are at ~1.5-2. I just started the VSV, so I can't comment on the results yet. Prodibio has been running for ~1 month.

Anybody have any thoughts on the clam tank, and whether or not it is a viable plan?

fishytime
03-28-2012, 02:48 PM
Your nitrates aren't that bad..... If you end up at 0 with your dosing, I would think that a large amount of clams would need to be fed....

naesco
03-28-2012, 02:59 PM
[QUOTE=fishytime;698551]Your nitrates aren't that bad..... If you end up at 0 with your dosing, I would think that a large amount of clams would need to be fed....[/QUOTE

I agree. Unless you feed your clams, they will starve to death.

If you do decide to try this, I would dose phytoplankton VERY heavily once a week. Do it with all pumps and filters turned off for at least one hour.

Aquattro
03-28-2012, 03:03 PM
The cost of adding another tank, stocking it with clams and lighting it, plus feeding, seems like an expensive alternative to water changes.

Delphinus
03-28-2012, 03:05 PM
I remember this idea of using clams for nutrient reduction going back to the 90's and even sort of had high hopes myself at one point for thinking I would have a low nitrate tank because I had a dozen or so tridacnids. The reality is however, that despite that they feed on things like nitrates, so do corals feed on nitrates and phosphates and just having a tank full of corals isn't a guarantee to zero-nitrate readings. You'd probably need a vat of 200 clams sitting in a greenhouse to be able to measure an appreciable difference in nitrates in your average household reef tank. Personally, my advice is buy a clam because they're pretty and you like looking at them, and carry no expectation beyond being a pretty thing to look at.

Werbo
03-28-2012, 03:11 PM
If you just started the VSV carbon dosing you'll be surprised how fast the last remaining phospahtes/nitrates will be removed from the system.
Keep in mind that a small amount of nitrates and phosphates is desirable for all corals & clams. Otherwise you'll starve the corals (including sps).

doch
03-28-2012, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I think that I'll skip that portion of the system. I already have 6 nice clams (with one more on the way) in my display. I think I'll just leave it at that.

As for the nitrates... this most recent test was the first time that I had any measurable nitrates. My sump cracked, leaked everywhere, and I never bothered to set up my Zeo again... switched to Prodibio out of simplicity.... then did a little reading and decided to try the vsv as well.

doch
03-28-2012, 03:33 PM
Oh... and I forgot... I also plan on adding a mangrove thatch!!!

reefwars
03-28-2012, 03:39 PM
How about an ATS??? Algae turf scrubber

Mike-fish
03-28-2012, 06:31 PM
I was doing some snooping around at some point and reading somebody's tank write up (can't remember whose). This person had attributed their very low nutrients to the number of clams that they had in the tank. At that point, I came up with a plan to add a small clam tank with a bunch of cheap, clams in it to help with nutrients. Here is my plan:
Display -> sump w/skimmer -> water change tank -> Refugium w/macro -> Clam tank -> sump ->Display

I'm also running GFO, prodibio, and VSV (I'll be going to VV, or just vodka after this bottle is done).

My phosphates are at .05, my Nitrates are at ~1.5-2. I just started the VSV, so I can't comment on the results yet. Prodibio has been running for ~1 month.

Anybody have any thoughts on the clam tank, and whether or not it is a viable plan?

mind cluing me in as to this is vsv, vv is

doch
03-28-2012, 06:49 PM
VSV - Vodka, Sugar, Vinegar
VV - Vodka, Vinegar

AKA Carbon dosing. Dosing a trial and error determined amount of these carbon sources allows for growth of denitrifying bacterias which you then skim out of the tank combined with the unwanted nutrients. Some people use NP pellets... I didn't like them. Do a little reading on it... supposed to be very effective, cheap, and easy... especially if you run it on a dosing pump.

Denny - I've never heard of an ATS... care to elaborate?

reefwars
03-28-2012, 08:38 PM
Denny - I've never heard of an ATS... care to elaborate?

an ats is a algae turf scrubber and its basically a place to grow hair algae and it will in turn feed on your nitrates, the hair algae is removed weekly and as are the nitrates it has.

i am currently using one and i have my nitrates down to just under 20 from off the chart, and its dropping weekly i have no doubt it will bring me down to zero.

theres only benefits to be had from using this as its all natural no chemicals needed. its also a great place for pods to repopulate.

you need to up your feedings as nutrients are a must to keep it growing but corals and clams benefit from small amounts of nutrients and once youve depleted your system you can simply shut off the ats and theres no harm in starting it and shutting it off as you please.........not sure if that can be said about pellets???:P

another benefit is its cheap to set up as you already have everything you need, the lines can be fed from your return and im just using a clip on desk lamp for my ats.

the screens are lit for 18hrs a day and rinsed off once a week thats the only maintanance these need, there are no reoccuring costs besides running the fuge light.

read up on it its an old method used for years but is seeing popularity again as we learn how to make them better:)

heres some links:

this ones from us here on canreef who are using them

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=82248&highlight=algae+scrubber

this is a great link on building one:

http://www.livingreefs.com/build-algae-scrubber-t32422.html

and this is the forumn ,lots of good info and ideas

http://algaescrubber.net/forums/

Proteus
03-28-2012, 09:25 PM
I'm suprised you have nitrates at all with six clams.

I have 7 clams with prodibio at 3 months using tap water. With 0 nitrates. I feed clams weekly as I worry they won't have enough nutrients to live

MarkoD
03-28-2012, 09:34 PM
Ive seen people have a tank full of Xenia for reduction

TimT
03-28-2012, 10:22 PM
Clams work great for nitrate reduction but you do need a few of them. Here is a link to a friends tank. He didn't use VSV or pellets or GFO... just clams. At one point he had 55 of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwW0H93F_u4

btw The 5" to 6" Ultra Maxima clams will be arriving in a couple of weeks. They will be available at fine reef keeping stores across Canada.

doch
03-28-2012, 11:00 PM
I'm suprised you have nitrates at all with six clams.

I have 7 clams with prodibio at 3 months using tap water. With 0 nitrates. I feed clams weekly as I worry they won't have enough nutrients to live

I actually only started prodibio a little over 1 month ago, so here's to hoping that it catches up. Before that, due to the skimmer crack/basement flood I had run for about 2 months without even a skimmer, so I'm sure that things went a little haywire due to that.

Clams work great for nitrate reduction but you do need a few of them. Here is a link to a friends tank. He didn't use VSV or pellets or GFO... just clams. At one point he had 55 of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwW0H93F_u4

btw The 5" to 6" Ultra Maxima clams will be arriving in a couple of weeks. They will be available at fine reef keeping stores across Canada.

Tim, that is the tank that I had come across that made me scheme about this little plan!! Also, I've already purchased one of these ultra maximas you speak of, and if they're as nice as they sound, I'll be grabbing another when they show up... I've been patiently waiting... WHAT'S TAKING SO LONG!?!?!?!?!? hahaha... just kidding.

Proteus
03-29-2012, 12:14 AM
"I actually only started prodibio a little over 1 month ago, so here's to hoping that it catches up. Before that, due to the skimmer crack/basement flood I had run for about 2 months without even a skimmer, so I'm sure that things went a little haywire due to that."

Keep on it with prodibio. At 8 weeks is when I noticed that I was spending less time cleaning glass. I love the product

TimT
03-29-2012, 12:41 AM
Tim, that is the tank that I had come across that made me scheme about this little plan!! Also, I've already purchased one of these ultra maximas you speak of, and if they're as nice as they sound, I'll be grabbing another when they show up... I've been patiently waiting... WHAT'S TAKING SO LONG!?!?!?!?!? hahaha... just kidding.

Marte is a friend of mine. Years ago he hosted me when I went to Toronto and did a talk on clams for the Marine Aquarists Society of Toronto.

The CITES permits always take time. Now that it's done the shipment will happen asap.

They will have more clams so you can pick a few more ;)

doch
03-30-2012, 08:40 PM
[QUOTE=reefwars;698637]an ats is a algae turf scrubber and its basically a place to grow hair algae and it will in turn feed on your nitrates, the hair algae is removed weekly and as are the nitrates it has. [\QUOTE]

Thanks Denny!! I'm on it!!! Finally had time to check out these links... this sounds perfect... and cheap!! I still want to run the fuge for pods though.... I'll put the whole thing together... with my 7 or 8 clams.... and see what does the best. Back when I was doing tank maintenance, I remember seeing a fuge in a house that was chalk full of macro algae, and there were TONS of brine(????) shrimp living in there. Pretty cool.