PDA

View Full Version : Moving live rock with fish/inverts/corals in the tank

canadianbudz604
03-28-2012, 03:40 AM
Is it ok to move one of my big live rock chunks around in my tank or is this going to screw up my biological filter? I have a clownfish and and cleane shrimp and some hermits and snails plus corals but none attached to the rock.. Anyone?

Proteus
03-28-2012, 03:49 AM
You move the sand you can release h2s phosphates and such. Be careful.

canadianbudz604
03-28-2012, 04:20 AM
Hopefully this piece just Sits on the top of the sand. I have a bad feeling that a turbo snail and a crab have gotten trapped in this rock and have died so I've got to move it. Haven't seen them in a few days which is weird for the turbo snail. Should I shut the powerhead and hob off when I move it?

eli@fijireefrock.com
03-28-2012, 04:28 AM
if your system is fine and been setup for quite some time you shouldn't have a problem and its best to have all pumps off for the time of move.
If your system is large enough and could handle the bioload I wouldn't worry about a single dead snail or a crab. if you worry about and individual invertebrate, then you will be spending more times moving things around then enjoying your tank.
Just like Titus99 said don't stir up the sand as that is where the h2s will be released from.

canadianbudz604
03-28-2012, 04:57 AM
I gOt a 10g nano reef and it is 2 months old (started with fully cured lr and used water from a huge reef system) that's why I need to find the dead animals.... Small system not much room for mistakes, that's why I'm asking. Man I gotta talk the wife into Letting me get a 55g

canadianbudz604
03-28-2012, 04:58 AM
I gOt a 10g nano reef and it is 2 months old (started with fully cured lr and used water from a huge reef system) that's why I need to find the dead animals.... Small system not much room for mistakes, that's why I'm asking. Man I gotta talk the wife into Letting me get a 55g

eli@fijireefrock.com
03-28-2012, 05:02 AM

That is true for a nano system you would want to find the critters.
1st try to detail looking at the rock or sand,I mean try finding the critters before moving things,...and at the end do not disturb the sand,good luck.

canadianbudz604
03-28-2012, 05:15 AM
really there isn't anywhere else they could be because the other rock work is more or less flat. I'm almost temPted just to take this chunk of rock out of the tank but then I will only have like 6lbs of rock in the tank.

canadianbudz604
03-29-2012, 05:31 AM
cant find the turbo snail anywhere, its not like its a small snail, but i cant find it. I have zoas, a frogspawn, clownfish, a couple hermits, 1 more turbo snail, and a cleaner shrimp in the tank. If its dead and in the tank is it going to affect my tank and crash it. I really dont want anything to die.. what to do?

Borderjumper
03-29-2012, 05:45 AM
cant find the turbo snail anywhere, its not like its a small snail, but i cant find it. I have zoas, a frogspawn, clownfish, a couple hermits, 1 more turbo snail, and a cleaner shrimp in the tank. If its dead and in the tank is it going to affect my tank and crash it. I really dont want anything to die.. what to do?

I wouldn't worry, the hermits and cleaner shrimp will dispose of the body.

toytech
03-29-2012, 05:45 AM
test for ammonia that will tell you right away whats going on .I always keep a bottle of ammonia lock just in case , you can dump some in and not have to panic about doing a water change right that second.

tang daddy
03-29-2012, 10:38 PM
If it was a large turbo the shell should be seen somewhere and if there is nothing left then no worries, if it's dead in the shell then remove it fast as that can mess your tank up royally.

tang daddy
03-29-2012, 10:40 PM
Also if you're thinking of upgrading do a 75g which is the same length as a 55 but abit wider and taller. For a mid size tank a 75g is the best all round size, 90g is abit tall and unless you like getting wet to the armpits the 75 is a winner for mid size.

canadianbudz604
03-30-2012, 03:17 AM
I found him in the fuge in the middle of the chaeto.. Put him back in the tank.