PDA

View Full Version : Who uses a Wet/Dry Shop Vac on their Reef?

globaldesigns
03-27-2012, 05:58 PM
Just wondering who out there uses a wet/dry shop vac to clean out their sump? I seen people mention this, but want to know how effective they are. Can they overflow and make a mess, or do they switch off when full of water?

Thinking of getting one to easily clean the bottom of my sump, as trying to create a syphon with a gravel cleaner doesn't work well due to lack of height.

Thanks for any input.

cale262
03-27-2012, 06:07 PM
I have been for a while now, first I remove as much water as possible via other means, then out comes the vac and crevice tool. My vac has a big float/ball valve that closes when it gets full (shopvac brand)...very effective and easy to do during a WC, IMHO

Coralgurl
03-27-2012, 06:30 PM
following along...

sphelps
03-27-2012, 07:32 PM
I'll probably use my shop vac for tank stuff when I finish using it for all the construction (kind of a pain to switch between wet and drywall bags). Mine has a hose attachment so you can actually pump the water directly to a drain as appose to just filling it up.

All shop vacs should have a shut off, they won't typically turn off but when full a float of some sort will cut off the suction.

The Grizz
03-27-2012, 08:16 PM
I do, mine has a ball that when its full it shuts off the suction.

reefme
03-27-2012, 08:22 PM
I do oone time when my floor got flooded. Hehehe

TimT
03-27-2012, 08:32 PM
The thought makes me nervous as salt water is very conductive, little bit of mist in the vac and whammo you have an afro. Freshwater is not very conductive so I would do it then. I would first make an extension cord with a GFCI and plug the vac into it.

Cal_stir
03-27-2012, 08:42 PM
I use an old salt bucket, I cut 3 holes in the lid, 1 for the shop vac hose, 1 for a 3/4" hose I use for vacuuming and a 1" hole to let some air in so the bucket doesn't collapse and it slows down the suction so I don't suck the water out too quickly which gives me more time to get the gunk. Saves getting the smelly gunk into the shop vac.

sphelps
03-27-2012, 08:51 PM
I use an old salt bucket, I cut 3 holes in the lid, 1 for the shop vac hose, 1 for a 3/4" hose I use for vacuuming and a 1" hole to let some air in so the bucket doesn't collapse and it slows down the suction so I don't suck the water out too quickly which gives me more time to get the gunk. Saves getting the smelly gunk into the shop vac.

That's actually quite genius :idea:

Although I think I'd skip the third hole, seems to me unlikely a shop vac could collapse a standard pail but perhaps a valve for some adjustment would be wise... hmmm

blacknife
03-27-2012, 09:09 PM
If using a shop vac rinse out the bucket and let it dry after use. I had a bout of small leaks and let the cruddy salt water sit for a while before I emptied it out. A few Weeks later I go to use the vac and the motor would not fire. Assuming corriosion from the salt. I was going to hack it apart to look at but after getting a replacement on sale cheap it got turfed. It was fairly new and should not have burnt out yet I have punnished shop vacs pretty hard at work.

Cal_stir
03-27-2012, 10:25 PM
That's actually quite genius :idea:

Although I think I'd skip the third hole, seems to me unlikely a shop vac could collapse a standard pail but perhaps a valve for some adjustment would be wise... hmmm

I tried it without the extra hole in H2Ocean bucket and it collapsed it real good.

sphelps
03-27-2012, 10:28 PM
I tried it without the extra hole in H2Ocean bucket and it collapsed it real good.

Crazy, your vac must be stronger than mine.

ILIKECOUGARS
03-27-2012, 10:34 PM
Shop vac work great for cleaning out the sump, just take out the filter bag and your good to go. As mention the ball will stop the suction when it's full of water.