PDA

View Full Version : War on Bristle Worm

scubadawg
03-27-2012, 07:08 AM
Just got home, found a dead peppermint shrimp, with a huge bristle wrom eating it, this means war, what's the best way to get rid of bristle worms?

daniella3d
03-27-2012, 07:51 AM
why? because your shrimp died and the only thing that prevented it from polluting your tank was a large bristle worm?

Bristle worms are slow, and they do not attack and kill shrimps. At least any healthy shrimp would get away from it easily and shrimps are active at night as well so they will not be taken by surprise when sleeping.

Check out your level of iodine because that shrimp might have died because it was unable to molt. Adding Lugol to the tank on regular basis will help.

Just got home, found a dead peppermint shrimp, with a huge bristle wrom eating it, this means war, what's the best way to get rid of bristle worms?

scubadawg
03-27-2012, 08:15 AM
There were 3 shrimps, now 2 left :(

gregzz4
03-27-2012, 09:00 AM
Just because your shrimp was being eaten by a worm, doesn't mean it's 'war on worms day'. Most worms are valuable, such as what you are seeing now.
Your shrimp was not 'caught' by the worm. Worms are opportunistic and shrimps are very quick.
IMO, keep an eye on your tank and check your params.
Your shrimp probably passed and the worm is trying to help you through an ammonia spike.

Proteus
03-27-2012, 01:03 PM
+1

subman
03-27-2012, 01:18 PM
+2

reefwars
03-27-2012, 01:39 PM
a+

Aquattro
03-27-2012, 01:44 PM
1^2

doch
03-27-2012, 02:35 PM
I wouldn't worry about the worms. When I shine a flashlight to my tank at night, they are EVERYWHERE!!!!! I've yet to have blamed them for any deaths. They are scavengers... and as stated, will eat the dead stuff, helping your tank. I found a dead fish yesterday (damnit) in a hard to get at spot, and thought "ah, screw it... worms will get it!"

Proteus
03-27-2012, 03:25 PM
Not sure about peppermints. But I read that cleaners live in even number groups and will kill odd man out. The peppermints I had always stayed in pairs. Could possibly be the same. Maybe the shrimp killed the odd one
Or a fish. Such as a hawkfish

noirsphynx
03-27-2012, 04:17 PM
Just because your shrimp was being eaten by a worm, doesn't mean it's 'war on worms day'. Most worms are valuable, such as what you are seeing now.
Your shrimp was not 'caught' by the worm. Worms are opportunistic and shrimps are very quick.
IMO, keep an eye on your tank and check your params.
Your shrimp probably passed and the worm is trying to help you through an ammonia spike.

:thumb:

scubadawg
03-27-2012, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the advice, you're probably right, the shrimps didn't like threesomes.

fishmanty
03-27-2012, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the advice, you're probably right, the shrimps didn't like threesomes.

They lack a sense of adventure I guess