PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of an 'easy' upgrade - advice on tank and stand wanted

Slick Fork
03-27-2012, 01:22 AM
Hi there.

So, I'm starting to get the itch to upgrade into something a little more substantial than the 33 gallon display I have going now. I have most of the ingredients for a moderately bigger system (lights, skimmer, sump, etc.) except for the actual display tank itself. I'd probably need a couple of powerheads or a wavebox but otherwise I think I have everything.

The stand I have is 47" X 20", welded steel courtesy of the Grizz. When thinking of a foot print for this new tank, would I be alright in looking at a 48"x24" footprint provided I put a substantial piece of Plywood under it (like 1/2" or 3/4" thick)? I'd imagine it would be OK, but would like other opinions. Currently it's holding up the 33 display with the big sump underneath. Grizz, if you read this and felt like commenting on the capacity of this stand to handle a larger tank I'd appreciate it.

Anybody have any tips on evaluating used tanks? I've had two large used tanks in the past and bought them without a lot of consideration and was lucky on both counts. Looking at adds on Kijiji though, you start to get spooked wondering things like, has it ever had copper or been dropped, or had a pane blow out and been improperly repaired, etc.

The Grizz
03-27-2012, 01:37 AM
I think that you would be just fine putting a bigger tank on that stand if you put a 1" piece of plywood on it. I could hook you up with 2 - 4' pieces of 2" x 2" x 1/4" angle if your worried about the over hang.

What size of tank would you be looking for? I have a 120 gal 4' x 2' x 2' Oceanic tank here. :biggrin:

cuz
03-27-2012, 02:45 AM
buying a used tank is of course a gamble, perhaps the best bet is to find one listed here for sale instead of kijiji/craigslist. Makes it alot easier to find out the history of the tank..

The Grizz
03-27-2012, 03:33 AM
You can tell if it's a good tank from kijiji just by looking at it in person. I recently got a RSM 250 off kijiji and it's a beauty.

First thing I do is look at the silicone. Color, feel & thickness. If its clear, not hard as a rock or peeling its good.

Second is the glass for the obvious, scratches. Is the thickness correct for size of tank ( only if it's not from a manufacture ) & last thing is it tempered. Plus if it's a manufacted tank that has the trim, what is the condition and is it still solidly attached.

Slick Fork
03-27-2012, 05:40 AM
I think that you would be just fine putting a bigger tank on that stand if you put a 1" piece of plywood on it. I could hook you up with 2 - 4' pieces of 2" x 2" x 1/4" angle if your worried about the over hang.

What size of tank would you be looking for? I have a 120 gal 4' x 2' x 2' Oceanic tank here. :biggrin:

Lol, I think the 120 would be a little much for me at the moment... but do feel free to send me the details and price... just in case :lol:

I'm kind of thinking of an intermediate tank as I save pennies and stress levels for something custom made and larger. Something with say a 48"X20"(ish)x20ish size to it. Big enough to be a real upgrade in terms of fish I can keep and visual impact, but not so big as to require a large investment in new equipment and liverock.