PDA

View Full Version : Do hermit crabs consume Blenny's food?

LeanneP
03-26-2012, 11:16 PM
I have recently got a blenny and I am just wondering if it is better not to have hermit crabs in the tank if they eat algea too. Do they eat the same algea or a different kind than the blenny does? Just want to make sure he has enough food.
Leanne

reefwars
03-26-2012, 11:23 PM
I have recently got a blenny and I am just wondering if it is better not to have hermit crabs in the tank if they eat algea too. Do they eat the same algea or a different kind than the blenny does? Just want to make sure he has enough food.
Leanne

would depend on the hermits some dont do algaewell. have you tried to get your blenny on nori??

LeanneP
03-27-2012, 02:43 AM
Yes, I have tried giving the blenny nori and also some reef veggie food. Doesn't seem too interested so not sure if he just isn't very hungry. I think that I have quite a bit of algea for him to eat, but just not sure how much he eats.

Leanne

mike31154
03-27-2012, 03:02 PM
What kind of Blenny? A Lawnmower? If so, I've had 3 of them in the past & each one had somewhat different feeding habits. One ate everything, including flakes etc. that was meant for my other livestock. But mostly they all mowed on everything in the tank that didn't move or sting, including the glass. Keep an eye on his belly area, if he's getting enough food, it will get quite plump.

Oh yeah, almost forgot! I doubt that hermit crabs are much in the way of competition for any Blenny, unless your system is crawling with them. The hermies I have are quite tiny & like most any crab, they're opportunistic omnivores & will eat almost anything, including scraps of meaty foods & of course each other sometimes.

Reef Pilot
03-27-2012, 03:08 PM
What kind of Blenny? A Lawnmower? If so, I've had 3 of them in the past & each one had somewhat different feeding habits. One ate everything, including flakes etc. that was meant for my other livestock. But mostly they all mowed on everything in the tank that didn't move or sting, including the glass. Keep an eye on his belly area, if he's getting enough food, it will get quite plump.
That's exactly my experience. I have two Lawnmower Blennys in two different tanks. One eats everything, incl floating dry food, up at the surface along with the other fish. The other will get skinny, if I don't regularly supply nori, but he loves that.

toytech
03-27-2012, 06:16 PM
most blennies eat film algea like the kind that grows on your glass and other smooth surfaces. hermits cant get to it so no they wouldent compeat .