PDA

View Full Version : Deltec MEC 300 - What a Racket!

Oscar
03-25-2012, 06:55 PM
I just plugged in my brand new unit. The pin wheel on the Maxi jet 1000 makes quite a racket even before I open the air valve. Then when I open the air valve it sounds like a plane is taking off.

I have an older Maxi jet 1200 that I am going to swap out to see if it is quieter.

In the mean time any suggestions to reduce the noise?

BlueTang<3
03-25-2012, 07:11 PM
It's properly primed ? My 600 is loud if it has air in it

Oscar
03-25-2012, 07:31 PM
That could be it. What is your trick for priming? Trying to get the last 3 inches of air out of the intake pipe is proving to be a challenge.

subman
03-25-2012, 07:37 PM
http://www.theaquariumsolution.com/mce600-lazy-start

based on the 600 but could have some hints to.

lee9
03-25-2012, 07:54 PM
I used a Deltec MCE300 for awhile. I didn't seem to have any issues getting all the air out of the line. I just plugged the air intake hose completely with my finger and after 30 - 60 seconds it would pull all the air out of the system.

Maybe the pump is going and there is not enough pressure to pull the water through? You had the same results with your other pump. Good luck.

That could be it. What is your trick for priming? Trying to get the last 3 inches of air out of the intake pipe is proving to be a challenge.

Oscar
03-25-2012, 08:08 PM
I used a Deltec MCE300 for awhile. I didn't seem to have any issues getting all the air out of the line. I just plugged the air intake hose completely with my finger and after 30 - 60 seconds it would pull all the air out of the system.

Maybe the pump is going and there is not enough pressure to pull the water through? You had the same results with your other pump. Good luck.

Thanks Lee9. Now I have discovered that the pin wheel impeller has broken. For the time being I will install a regular Maxi Jet impeller. Then I can see if I can get the unit properly primed and running while I try to get a replacement impeller.

Oscar
03-25-2012, 08:31 PM
Update:

I reinstalled the pump even with the broken impeller and it surprisingly works and is generating bubbles and full flow.

There were 2 steps to get the pump primed:

1. As Lee9 suggested put my finger on the end of the intake valve for 10-15 seconds to allow the pump to build up a bit of pressure.

2. Do not open the air valve to 100%. Turn it until you hit the "SWEET SPOT" where the pump becomes almost silent. That trick was posted on the DD website although it does not appear in the manual.

Thanks all for the prompt feedback.

BlueTang<3
03-25-2012, 08:34 PM
Good To Hear :mrgreen:

bkelly
03-25-2012, 10:09 PM
Good to hear its working out , i set my air valve at about 2 oclock for good skimming and flow results , seems to get air block less there too. you can also suck the air flow line to establish flow when power fails - watch that it can often not re start up until primed. should run ultra quiet though.
hope it works well for you

Oscar
03-27-2012, 03:51 PM
In order to install the Deltec I removed my LF Reactor in which I had installed GFO. Has anyone tried inserting a media bag into the intake chamber in the Deltec 300?