PDA

View Full Version : Brown and green algae

Edmontonpup
03-25-2012, 01:03 PM
Have a 28gallon Jbj bio cube. I transferred the water from my old biocube to the one in Nov 2011. I also transferrred 28 lbs live rock from old tank. Weekly water changes, water parameter good, using Algone that has made only a small difference. Brown algae on glass, green algae tuffs in sand. HELP!

Wayne
03-28-2012, 03:23 AM
Other than water and rock what else do you have in there? How old are the lights? Are you using any GFO?

HaZRaTTy
03-28-2012, 06:54 PM
Have you just noticed it during the spring? The word on the street is that Edmontons run off gets high in Nutrients and Phosphates causing algae blooms.

Might just want to wait till the snow melts and the run off is gone before pull your hair out.

Not sure if someone can confirm or put that to rest.

Aquattro
03-28-2012, 06:57 PM
water parameter good

No, it's not. That's why you have algae. Moving rock around like that tends to disturb pockets of nutrients which when added to the new tank, will fuel algae.
also, "water parameter good" means nothing. Please post actual values and the method of testing, that way we can see what's good and what's not.

Edmontonpup
03-29-2012, 12:53 AM
The tank was brand new mid November 2011, so the light is 4months old. Just had the water tested at the store and the nitrates,nitrites, ph, ammonia, calcium, etc are all at appropriate levels. Alkalinity is high and Magnesium is low. Just started treating with Magnesium by Kent Marine. Will treat daily for the week and watch for change or a slow down at least. Water testing is done with a strip test kit.

I have 28lbs of live rock, 2 clowns, 3 damsels, 4-5 hermit crabs and 2 small coral frags. Never had fish loss since beginning the tank 2 years ago. The algae issue didn't start until the new tank was started up in November.

When I moved to the new tank, I didn't transfer the sand. So all the gunge stayed in the old tank. We drained the water, then moved the rock to the new tank then refilled new tank with old water.

I do not run a GFO yet.

Any extra help would be greatly appreciated as I am newer to this kind of tank.

subman
03-29-2012, 01:05 AM
are you using ro water?