PDA

View Full Version : Sick Purple Square Anthias

Nemain
03-09-2004, 04:26 PM
I went away this past weekend, leaving my fish in the care of a friend. My anthias was hiding when I came home, and I didnt think much of the issue, as he had been eating nothing but cyclopeze for the weekend ( I figured he was just showing his disaproval at the menu - wouldnt be the first time :P)

Yesterday, he stayed in hiding until dinner time, then just sort of swam at mid-level catching something here and there, but certainly not with vigor. He then went straight back into hiding.

I can see no visible signs of illness, butt here is definately soemthing wrong. This fish is such a card usually, very social and a joy to have in my tank. I am very concerned, but have no idea what to do.

Water perameters are fine, all the other inhabitants are super. Just this one fish, with absolutely no outside sign of illness.

Any help is, as usual, much appreciated.

Thank you,

Beth

UnderWorldAquatics
03-09-2004, 06:34 PM
how long have you had him?
What do you feed him?
You should feed him lots of frozen mysis shrimp, they love it!
Tried selcon? Vita Chem?

Aquattro
03-09-2004, 06:37 PM
Also, what kind of anthias (in latin) is it? Some do better than others.

Nemain
03-09-2004, 06:56 PM
I ahve had him for 8 months, he was one of the first fish I put in the tank. He eats my special mix of stuff, some from the grocery store ( shrimp, fish bits etc.), PE mysis, cyclopeze ( just a smithering), all saoked in slecon, then frozen into cubes.

he has never had a problem before this, hence why I am so worried. He isnt thin, he eats heartily, and has actually grown a fair amount in this time. His colouring is fantastic, even now. No paleness or dicolouration at all.

Latin name: Pseudanthias pleurotaenia

Thanx,

Beth

UnderWorldAquatics
03-09-2004, 07:03 PM
did you change any equipment lately?
Add any additives?
add any livestock?
test your water?

Nemain
03-09-2004, 08:07 PM
I did add livestock, but after he was already not doing well. I have watched closely to anyone bothering him, and I can see no harasment. I have not added any new additives/filters etc. And my last water change prior to last night was on Wednesday.

I am truely baffled.

As I said I at first thought it may be a stress reaction, he seems to get his nose out of joint pretty easily, but never for this long.

I sit at work fretting that i am going to come home to a dead fish =(

Thank you,

Beth

AJ_77
03-09-2004, 09:31 PM
There's a reefer out east (Flame*Angel) who had troubles with her big Squarespot, though it stopped eating because it got a snoot-full of bristles...
In the end it was fine - but I think it didn't eat for about 2 weeks.

So take heart, yours may well bounce back fully.

Nemain
03-10-2004, 02:44 PM
Last night I decided to make him a special dinner ( squid, mysis, snapper, prawns, selcon, and a little garlic- just in case). He ate like a champion for about 5 minutes, then chased away the new GSM's and went back to hiding. I was able to check him over thouroughly and confirm that there is no outward sign of any damage/illness.

I am hoping this is a sign of his feeling better. Or maybe he just couldnt resist my cooking :P

Is it possible that having someone elses hands in my tank for a weekend could have stressed him out?

BTW - where was that darn link to the internet spelling doo hickey thing a majig?

Thanks,

Beth

AJ_77
03-10-2004, 03:06 PM
Glad he's doing better.

IE spell checker thread:
http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5980

StirCrazy
03-11-2004, 01:53 AM
out of curiosity how big is your tank? one of these anthias should be kept singularly in a minimum of 55 preferably 70 gal or larger tank with several hiding spots for them to dive to when they feel threatened. if you have more than one then the minimum tank size is increased to 180 gal. if they are spooked it is not uncommon for them to hide for up to a week.

another tidbit about them is they are a medium light fish and there colors will tend to fade in high lighting.

Steve

Nemain
03-11-2004, 02:43 AM
I have a 92 Gallon, and plenty of places for him to hide =) he has definately changed colour since incorporating the MH, but I wouldnt say he is less colourful at all.

I know that they can get stressed very easily, I guess the problem is that with being away, I have no idea what may have happened. The person watch ing the fish for the weekend said no majoy problems.

He is still hiding, coming out only to eat. No change for good or bad.

beth