PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with that sebae?

daniella3d
03-25-2012, 12:32 AM
Hi,

I have this sebae for about a month and it's been growing quite a bit since I got it, but it always had twisted tentacles and the tentacles are folded close to the body, not the usual 90 degree from the body, so the anemone looks flat.

I don't think this is normal but the anemone is healthy and growing and it has darkened quite a bit since I got it. It was light beige now it's rather medium dark brown. It went from about 5" to now almost 8" in a month.

I just bought another one and her tentacles are normals, and it's getting better each day but why is the first one having such tentacles?

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy143/daniella3ds/103_1767s.jpg

For comparaison, here is my normal sebae after a few days in my tank:

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy143/daniella3ds/103_1753s.jpg

troni
03-25-2012, 02:52 AM
the tentacles dont look as inflated as the second one. it also looks like its in some shade. i dont have a clue just pointing out obvious.

daniella3d
03-25-2012, 03:48 AM
They are very inflated, they are just smaller, twisted and folded tight to the body. As for the location, it moved in the shade on its own once it turned dark brown, so I am guessing that it has a lot of zooxanthellae now so it does not want that much light. There is still some light going in but it is dimmed.

I have never seen an anemone with such wierd tentacles. When I got it I tought it would return to normal eventually but it's not looking like that.

the tentacles dont look as inflated as the second one. it also looks like its in some shade. i dont have a clue just pointing out obvious.

troni
03-25-2012, 03:53 AM
hopefully someone with someone with some knowledge helps you out.

marie
03-25-2012, 06:18 AM
While I have no idea what if anything is wrong with your anemone but here is a pic of what they both should look like along with 2 clowns from hell

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/mariesnell/anemone072.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/mariesnell/april2408017.jpg

daniella3d
03-25-2012, 01:08 PM
I think it depends on the type of sebae because some have shorter tentacles. Yours have very very long tentacles so it may not be the same type that I have. I doubt mine will become with such long tentacles because I read that my sebae will have tentacles of less than 2", yours seem to be more like 3 to 4". it is sure that they are still acclimating to my tank and they will grow larger and have longer tentacles with time, especially the new one, but I doubt it will look as they one you showed, at least I surely hope not :)

But for now I am trying to find out why the older one has curled and folded tentacles. That's the mystery I am trying to elucidate.

Also since the two anemones are touching each other and there is no reaction from either, can I assume they are the same specie?

While I have no idea what if anything is wrong with your anemone but here is a pic of what they both should look like along with 2 clowns from hell

troni
03-25-2012, 03:56 PM
nobodys helping so i say return it

DCDN
03-25-2012, 04:29 PM
When I first got mine its tentacles were short and upright constantly. It has grown a fair bit since then and the tentacles often look flat like yours. Not sure if it hosting my clown has anything to do with it. Its healthy so I'm not to concerned.

LeanneP
03-25-2012, 04:35 PM
I had the same kind of anenome when I first got my tank. It was doing great the first 5 weeks and then the tentacles turned inward and it stopped feeding. Yours looks a little different than mine did but just be very careful if anything changes. You probably know this but they give off a ton of ammonia if they start to die and it willl really throw your tank off if it does. Maybe it is just deformed! It's a good sign if it is growing. Maybe ask at the place you bought it from.

Leanne

daniella3d
03-25-2012, 04:58 PM
I bought it from someone, not from a store and when I got it, it was exactly like that and I thought it was just a matter of proper acclimatation and time.

The guy had it for a month, and I have it for a month and it did not change its apparence except it has doubled in size and darken quite a bit.

The darkening is a sign that it's healthy as well as the growth. I was just wondering if this is some different kind of sebae, or if it is sort of sick or genetically afflicted.

I had the same kind of anenome when I first got my tank. It was doing great the first 5 weeks and then the tentacles turned inward and it stopped feeding. Yours looks a little different than mine did but just be very careful if anything changes. You probably know this but they give off a ton of ammonia if they start to die and it willl really throw your tank off if it does. Maybe it is just deformed! It's a good sign if it is growing. Maybe ask at the place you bought it from.

Leanne

reefwars
03-25-2012, 05:09 PM
I bought it from someone, not from a store and when I got it, it was exactly like that and I thought it was just a matter of proper acclimatation and time.

The guy had it for a month, and I have it for a month and it did not change its apparence except it has doubled in size and darken quite a bit.

The darkening is a sign that it's healthy as well as the growth. I was just wondering if this is some different kind of sebae, or if it is sort of sick or genetically afflicted.

they adust slowly to tanks thats why they are so hard to keep they dont take well to changes in water chemistry, so the nems are better suited to those who keep things stable and consistent def not a good nem for anyone starting out, and if the nem is bleached at the lfs(which they usually are) they take a fairly long time to recover.

i wouldn t worry about the tentacles unless it wasnt sticky or readily accepting food the fact they spiral a bit is prob a sign it becoming more comfrtable in your system.in time the second one will have longer tentacles as well and they both should colour up.

are you feeding them?? any clowns??

daniella3d
03-25-2012, 07:58 PM
The spiral thing is there from the begining and it was there in the other person's tank, so that's not something new.

As for being bleached, it is so dark brown now that I can hardly see the purple tips.

My parameters are very stable as I have a dosing pump and keep things at the right level, alkalinity at 8, calcium 420, mag 1400. The tank has been setup for 2 years so quite mature.

It was not bleached when I got it but it was lighter in color, more like a dark beige, now it's dark brown. It does not eat or at least if it does I don't see it eat. The new sebae eats like a little pig and in no time it gobble mysis each day. This one is so dark that I don't think it needs to eat much.

they adust slowly to tanks thats why they are so hard to keep they dont take well to changes in water chemistry, so the nems are better suited to those who keep things stable and consistent def not a good nem for anyone starting out, and if the nem is bleached at the lfs(which they usually are) they take a fairly long time to recover.

i wouldn t worry about the tentacles unless it wasnt sticky or readily accepting food the fact they spiral a bit is prob a sign it becoming more comfrtable in your system.in time the second one will have longer tentacles as well and they both should colour up.

are you feeding them?? any clowns??