PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Chiller for JBJ Nano 28 HQI in Calgary

ruslicus
03-24-2012, 04:33 AM
Hi

I am fairly new in hobby and just got my new JBJ Nano 28g HQI and my tempreture fluctuates from 84F with MH on down to 78 with MH off. I think the only one solution to keep it constant will be a chiller. So I am looking for a chiller in Calgary area. Anyone has extra or wants to upgrade his please let me know. Thx.

Ginu
03-24-2012, 04:39 AM
Hi

I am fairly new in hobby and just got my new JBJ Nano 28g HQI and my tempreture fluctuates from 84F with MH on down to 78 with MH off. I think the only one solution to keep it constant will be a chiller. So I am looking for a chiller in Calgary area. Anyone has extra or wants to upgrade his please let me know. Thx.

Chiller is a good way and best to keep the temp down, however until you get a chiller I strongly suggest leaving the feeding door open and possibly run a fan above water. You will get quite a bit more evaporation but the temp won't raise that high.

It did it for me until ingot my chiller. Good luck.

ruslicus
03-24-2012, 04:52 AM
Thank you for your advise. I am cycling the tank yet so have some time until I get one. But don't want to have much evaporation and modify much the hood. I don't get why JBJ will not think about tempreture issue for HQI model, it is just beyond me to spend half the price on chiller.

Ginu
03-24-2012, 05:15 AM
Ya I hear ya... I think all in one cubes running lights which produce a bit of heat will run into heat issues. I found out that there is a huge diff if you remove the heat from in between water and splash guard. I run a chiller and still get about 1 to 1.5g of water evaporating on a 34g AIO cube running 14k mhi, so i always have that clean ro/di water in the stand. Next purchase for me is a ato unit.

It's either go led, run a chiller or tons of fans which will get ya evaporation, however I think every tank should have a auto top off system.

ruslicus
03-26-2012, 01:18 AM
bump

ruslicus
03-28-2012, 03:33 PM
bump. still need the chiller. Thx.

gobytron
03-28-2012, 09:01 PM
I have an aquachill mini that I'd ship...
used it on my 50 gallon and then 12 gallon.

ruslicus
03-28-2012, 09:03 PM
I have an aquachill mini that I'd ship...
used it on my 50 gallon and then 12 gallon.

pm'd

ruslicus
03-30-2012, 09:18 PM
bump

Snaz
03-30-2012, 10:03 PM
I will probably get flamed but HQI while if done correctly it will grow nice coral it is terribly inefficient. The wattage needed to light those things and then the wattage needed to chill the water you just heated up is not very good for the environment and your wallet.

Best to buy or build an ATO and then use a fan blowing across the surface to keep things cool until you can buy or build an LED system. My opinion.

ruslicus
04-02-2012, 02:15 AM
Agree, but it is new tank and not ready to buy the LED hood yet, so was thinking to buy a used chiller and in future will replace my hood into LED version. Thx.

Snaz
04-02-2012, 02:32 AM
But you can buy a DIY LED kit for less than $150 shipped. Any good with a soldering iron?
http://www.aquastyleonline.com/

ruslicus
04-02-2012, 06:15 PM
Thank you Snaz. I tried couple of times, but hundreds of years ago :) What LED kit will give me the same performance as MH 150W for SPS? I think I can try to use the same hood as I've installed 2 strips of blue LED additional to my MH lamp, so it might be doable. Thx for your help!

Snaz
04-02-2012, 08:25 PM
Thank you Snaz. I tried couple of times, but hundreds of years ago :) What LED kit will give me the same performance as MH 150W for SPS? I think I can try to use the same hood as I've installed 2 strips of blue LED additional to my MH lamp, so it might be doable. Thx for your help!

From what I have seen is usually 1 or 1.25 emitters per gallon of water with colours balanced between cool white and blue and maybe some reds or violets thrown in for extra brilliance. I went 50/50 cw and blues each is on a dimmer so I can dial in a nice look.

You should certainly look at nano-reef.com forums as there is LOTS of excellent info on using LEDs in AIO, reef nano etc, there is even a long thread dedicated to this vendor and how everyone is enjoying the product. Good luck.