PDA

View Full Version : Clowns Spawning

phreezee
03-24-2012, 12:44 AM
Pretty exciting to discover some eggs while cleaning the glass just now!
The last time I had frys in the tank was 10 years ago when a pair of mollies were helping to cycle my first tank. I've got a week at research to see if I can get any to survive and not become more than just a treat for the tankmates. I've read other threads about how hard it can be, but it will be fun to experience it for myself.

BlueWorldAquatic
03-24-2012, 12:50 AM
http://www.breedclownfish.com/

is a good resource.

or Joyce Wilkinsons book on clownfish.

More than likely, they will be a treat for the other fish. Put a clay pot or slate near where they spawned, and they may put the eggs there next time (within 14 days of last spawn)

Rotifers are the key, without them, your chances are very low.

any questions feel free to ask.

phreezee
03-24-2012, 01:04 AM
No luck with a clay pot, my clowns have always stayed in the upper corner of tank despite the numerous anemones.

They're still doing their dance and the protective behaviour has started. Very cool to watch.

phreezee
03-25-2012, 03:25 AM
Tangs hang been trying to get to the eggs all day. I was able to move a powerhead closer to physically prevent them from being able to reach them. Still a good cluster left, but I know there have been some casualties already.

troni
03-25-2012, 03:59 AM
hopefully the rest last. itll be cool to have a few grow up.

BlueWorldAquatic
03-25-2012, 04:21 PM
hopefully the rest last too. 7-8 days is a long fought battle

what type of nems you use, I find bta's work great.

if anything put a small piece of slate in the corner for next time, and hang itfrom above

or you can stay up on hatch day ans siphon them out around 2 hours after the lights go out.

phreezee
03-26-2012, 02:59 PM
I bought some rotifers and a floating breeder on Sunday. Are they instinctual enough to seek shelter right away? Or at least stay in there if I siphon them into there?

phreezee
03-28-2012, 03:01 PM
They have eyes already! I think I'm going to block off that section of the tank to give them a fighting chance. Hopefully they don't wander too far.

mike31154
03-28-2012, 03:46 PM
My Maroon pair have been spawning for some time now. I've often contemplated trying to raise a batch of fry, but haven't got around to getting all the necessary gear & food together. As mentioned in an earlier post, Joyce Wilkerson's book Clownfishes, although a bit dated, is a great resource. From the info in her book, plus my readings on the net, I'm pretty sure you're going to need a separate breeding tank to have any chance of successfully raising the fry. Haven't heard of anyone being successful trying to breed them in the main tank using a floating breeder. You pretty well have to catch the larvae right after they hatch & move them into a separate breeding tank. A lot of phyto & rotifers are needed in the first week & that stuff will be too diluted in your main system as well as contaminating it with nutrients you don't really want in there.

In any case, best of luck. Generally once a pair starts breeding you'll see a new batch of eggs a few days to a week after the previous cluster hatches. They also get better at the process & more eggs make it through the 7 day cycle to hatch. Keep trying to have them lay the eggs on a removable tile or something. This makes it much easier to capture the larvae when they hatch than trying to siphon them out. They generally hatch after lights out on the 7th day. If you keep tabs on when they lay down the clutch, you can remove the tile with eggs on the night of the 7th day, or the day before & move it into a grow out tank. That way you get all the larvae without much hassle.

Sick Lid in Kamloops has quite a successful breeding operation going. He'd be a great resource for advice.

BlueWorldAquatic
03-28-2012, 03:56 PM
Only problem with Joyce's book, is you have to read between the lines

http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r564/blueworldaquatic/a26cfec9.jpg

pics of my latest spawn, alast night

phreezee
03-28-2012, 04:57 PM
Wow! My patch of eggs is tiny compared to that!

Having read a bit through the great link provided (thanks, http://www.breedclownfish.com/), it is quite a bit of work and equipment. First thing that would need to happen is to get them to lay eggs on something removable before I invest in all the extra gear.

This first attempt will be with rotifers and baby brine shrimp in the main tank. Friday should be day 7, and I'm eager to see the hatching. :)

phreezee
03-28-2012, 05:03 PM
Here's a picture, it really is in the worst possible spot, top corner of the tank.

mike31154
03-28-2012, 05:39 PM
Here's a picture, it really is in the worst possible spot, top corner of the tank.

Actually top corner might be a good spot, easier to capture when they hatch if you're around to see it happen.

sharuq1
03-30-2012, 02:46 AM
Ooh please say you are going to raise them! Neat!

phreezee
03-31-2012, 05:51 AM
They hatched! I missed the actual hatching but went downstairs in time to see them swimming all over the tank. I managed to scoop up all the ones I could see with a flashlight and transfer them to the "nursery." My final design has them contained in a mesh breeder in the overflow where I can try spot feeding them. I did see two swim into my floating breeder near the eggs but they definitely didn't stay in there.

Here's a bad picture, you can't actually see them in it, but they are there lol.

Enigma
04-07-2012, 04:04 PM
Update?

phreezee
04-17-2012, 05:04 PM
Well, update isn't very good.

I'm already on batch #2. Batch #1 didn't make it because of the flow in the overflow, and I think they spent all their energy swimming and didn't get enough food.

This time around I used a acrylic floating hatchery in the main tank. There's virtually no flow to minimize their energy expenditure. I've fed rotifers and bbs and as of today, I have 1 survivor! Horrible survival rate I know, but I am actually happy to have 1 guy make it this far. If he makes it past day 7 I will be extremely happy.

I am hoping to have a plankton/rotifer setup in the coming weeks, already have the 2L's and air pump.

Otardifus
04-18-2012, 12:20 AM
it is great that you want to go the extra level and raise the fry! I hope you get a 90%+ sucsess rate soon. good luck!

mikeclarke
04-18-2012, 01:32 AM
Good luck with keeping the little guy going!