PDA

View Full Version : Tiger tail cucumber

tim the toolman
03-22-2012, 11:58 PM
So I was out browsing yesterday and saw a large Tiger Tail cucumber and had to buy it. He's in a 180 and seems to be doing great. I am aware that as with all cucumbers he can poison my tank, but I just had to. My question is, does anyone have any real horror stories about these beauties. I read some bad things but also some good things. Can anyone help me sift through the garbage and find the truth lol. He's about 10" long and is working the sandbed like nobodies business.

Casey8
03-23-2012, 12:16 AM
http://www.freshmarine.com/tiger-tail-cucumber.html

jtbadco
03-23-2012, 12:30 AM
A friend of mine just lost all the fish in his tank from a Cuke Nuke.

I don't think it was a Tiger tail specifically, but it crawled up the glass into his skimmer intake and got chewed up.

All his fish were dead in the morning

BlueWorldAquatic
03-23-2012, 12:35 AM
I have had 2 in our display for years. Not an issue at all

Proteus
03-23-2012, 12:36 AM
My brothers tank sh*t the bed when a cuke decided to squirt during a waterchange. Even though water change was completed and another was being started. Tank was dead in a hour

tim the toolman
03-23-2012, 12:40 AM
Conflicting reviews again. Damn. Oh well. Again (casey8) I am not looking fir what the Internet may say as I have thuroughly reviewed them. I am looking for personal experiences. Also I have had a pink cucumber in my system for quite some time and is doing great. Thank you BWA for the encouraging experience lol. I guess once again I am foolish enough to roll the dice.

Ps. The girlfriend loved this thing and was the deciding factor lol.

tim the toolman
03-23-2012, 12:42 AM
My brothers tank sh*t the bed when a cuke decided to squirt during a waterchange. Even though water change was completed and another was being started. Tank was dead in a hour

WOW. Ok now in scared thanks Nick lol. So would the general consecensus be to get him the F out of my tank?

Casey8
03-23-2012, 12:43 AM
Conflicting reviews again. Damn. Oh well. Again (casey8) I am not looking fir what the Internet may say as I have thuroughly reviewed them. I am looking for personal experiences. Also I have had a pink cucumber in my system for quite some time and is doing great. Thank you BWA for the encouraging experience lol. I guess once again I am foolish enough to roll the dice.

Ps. The girlfriend loved this thing and was the deciding factor lol.

Just warning you LOL too dangerous to have it !

tim the toolman
03-23-2012, 12:44 AM
Just warning you LOL too dangerous to have it !

Damn. Ok. So does anyone want a tiger tail cuke? Lol

Dive_dry
03-23-2012, 12:47 AM
i have or had one in my tank havent seen him in 6 months at least so if it is dead my tank is fine :mrgreen:

tim the toolman
03-23-2012, 12:49 AM
Yah I have seen reviews saying that a large system running carbon can survive a cuke nuke. But who wants to take that chance?

Proteus
03-23-2012, 12:56 AM
WOW. Ok now in scared thanks Nick lol. So would the general consecensus be to get him the F out of my tank?

When this happened I decided to take my pink one out. When it came out of water it started squirting all over. It scared the p*ss out of me. Lol

Although they are great at what they do I don't believe I am experienced enough to chance it

tim the toolman
03-23-2012, 12:59 AM
Yah I'm feeling yah. My buddy Allan has had a pink in his tank for years and no issues and he has done a tank swap since it went in. I should add though that he is an expert reefer and has more experience than I could hope for in twenty years lol.

Reefer Rob
03-23-2012, 01:16 AM
I had them in my 180 until I removed the sand bed. The only issue I had was that one turned into several dozen. Even when moved around there was no problem... not to say they couldn't be.

toytech
03-23-2012, 02:01 AM
you have to really stress them for them to eject there guts .They just squirt water when you take them out of water its no big deal.I had one and it survived a broken heater/tank crash .

whatcaneyedo
03-23-2012, 02:04 AM
I've had a tiger tail for several years without too many issues. I think I bought it in 2006 but its been so long that I no longer remember. A few times I've had to pull it off of my overflow or a pump intake strainer but it was never seriously hurt, just stuck. Its divided a few times as well. I've sold two, one disappeared and the remaining one lives in my frag tank.

tim the toolman
03-23-2012, 05:01 AM
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/1/inverts
This is actually a great read on cukes and has made me feel quite safe about keeping one in my aquarium.

subman
03-23-2012, 05:22 AM
I have had 2 in our display for years. Not an issue at all

you had 3 now its 2 lol.
Ive had him for a couple months. my kids call him the "spiky poo"

ouch

untamed
03-24-2012, 01:20 AM
I have no idea how many cukes are in my system, but I would guess it is more than a dozen. About 4 of those would be tiger tails, the rest are all donkey dungs. I've had them for almost five years without any issues.

tim the toolman
03-24-2012, 03:00 AM
It seems all the horror stories are friends of friends and all the people with no issues speak on personal experience.

He Stays in the tank then, it's official.