PDA

View Full Version : What are the good shops in Calgary?

04V10
03-22-2012, 08:47 PM
Hey guys,

I'm down in Calgary for the weekend and I wanna do some shopping for the ol'e reef. I'm just wondering what stores you would recommend for me. I'd really like to get some more Aussie corals, if that helps. Also looking for a goby and some clowns. Even just a cool store to check out would be cool. Any info would be great. Thanks guys.

parkinsn
03-22-2012, 10:05 PM
Red Coral, Aylith RD in the SE
Ocean Creation (Ocean City) 16th AVE NE
Golds, 17th AVE SE

Wais 16th ave NE a couple blocks from Ocean. Gets nice stuff but really $$$

I wouldnt bother with,

Big Al's, ws in there yesterday they didnt really have anyting spectacular.
Riverfront
Picies

Littlefishy
03-23-2012, 01:28 AM
Red Coral has some great locally raised clowns right now!

Kgrizzle
03-23-2012, 03:36 AM
And some awesome looking new corals at red coral was there tonight and wanted to max the visa but resisted enough and just got a huge anemone for 60 bones ... What a deal :)

Littlefishy
03-23-2012, 02:38 PM
And some awesome looking new corals at red coral was there tonight and wanted to max the visa but resisted enough and just got a huge anemone for 60 bones ... What a deal :)

What else was there?! Ric's?

SkunkClown
03-23-2012, 02:48 PM
The best service is at red coral! We just picked up a nice frogspawn from there!

Ocean creations and golds is pretty good too. I picked up a 3inch kole tang for $50 at oceans. Picses you'd pay 60 for a smaller one probably. I think most Calgary residents agree that red coral, oceans and golds are the best. I haven't been to Wai's in a while.

Coralgurl
03-23-2012, 03:26 PM
Red Coral had a couple rics last night, they def has some awesome LPS, orange hammer, torch's, brains, elegance to name a few. I picked up a neon green torch and an orange/multicolor I think its a brain... they had a gorgeous yellow multicolor brain, was hard to chose. Best service for sure.

Gold's and Ocean's are also great stores, with good service. Was at Wai's a week ago, always has cool corals, but very expensive. Fish don't always look healthy though.

Littlefishy
03-23-2012, 03:45 PM
Yes I would check out Wai's for the coral. I have also heard from a couple people that their fish aren't the best, I have never bought any from him. I got a killer double headed highlighter yellow goniopora from him, not cheap but worth it! His corals really are great.

And Pisces... I have got some nice stuff from there but $$$, it does not hurt to look. A lot of people don't like it.

Sheena, put up a picture of your new brain from RC! If I didn't have that HUGE coral shipment coming in tomorrow I would be over there in a heart beat :)

Cugio
03-23-2012, 03:55 PM
Does anyone find that it smells like smoke at RC though? It's always really strong for me.

Coralgurl
03-23-2012, 03:56 PM
Yes I would check out Wai's for the coral. I have also heard from a couple people that their fish aren't the best, I have never bought any from him. I got a killer double headed highlighter yellow goniopora from him, not cheap but worth it! His corals really are great.

And Pisces... I have got some nice stuff from there but $$$, it does not hurt to look. A lot of people don't like it.

Sheena, put up a picture of your new brain from RC! If I didn't have that HUGE coral shipment coming in tomorrow I would be over there in a heart beat :)

I will get one up over the weekend - wasn't open last night and lights were not on yet this morning, not home tonight....can't wait to see everyone's new goodies!!

I should say, the service I've received from Kevin and Doug at RC always feels above and beyond. Very helpful, spend time with you - as long as the store is not busy. I went looking for Prime for my tank, Kevin put the brakes on it and said bring in a water sample instead. Nothing wrong with my water based on his tests, no need to buy something not needed or that could cause additional problems. So they don't sell you something, just to sell something. Their service brings me back everytime.

parkinsn
03-23-2012, 04:08 PM
Does anyone find that it smells like smoke at RC though? It's always really strong for me.

Blame Doug.... Hes a smoker..... Damn smokers :razz:

I have never noticed that at all. Then agian, I'm a smoker so I never really take note of that.

Money pit
03-23-2012, 09:06 PM
For me RC is #1, I find the corals lacking at Golds, but the fish and hardware are ok.If I don't find what I want at those 2 stores, I'll head to Wais. He'll usually have what I need

globaldesigns
03-23-2012, 10:59 PM
Many good shops in Calgary. Red Coral, Golds and Concept are the ones I deal with.

04V10
03-24-2012, 01:11 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to go and hit up red coral tomorrow. I was at oceans creations (I think that's what it's called on 16th ave) and had a look. It was alright, but they didnt really have a large selection of stuff. I passed by wai's, but didn't get a chance to check it out so I'm heading there tomorrow.

fishoholic
03-24-2012, 02:58 PM

Blame Doug.... Hes a smoker..... Damn smokers :razz:

I have never noticed that at all. Then agian, I'm a smoker so I never really take note of that.

Both Kevin and Doug smoke, but they go outside to smoke. They do hang their coats by the front door, so maybe you smell the smoke on their coats? I'm not a smoker and I don't think it smells like smoke in the store, at least I've never noticed it.

thedwightguy
03-27-2012, 12:29 AM

possibly because you're right in a railroad yard????:)

note: I haven't been there but am on my way!

parkinsn
03-27-2012, 02:02 AM
Both Kevin and Doug smoke, but they go outside to smoke. They do hang their coats by the front door, so maybe you smell the smoke on their coats? I'm not a smoker and I don't think it smells like smoke in the store, at least I've never noticed it.

I wasn't trying to imply that they smoke in the shop. I know Kevin would never let that happen.

spawn
03-27-2012, 02:32 AM
I like smoking, I'm gonna go there soon.

Zoaelite
03-27-2012, 10:17 PM
I like smoking, I'm gonna go there soon.

+1

nozwal
03-27-2012, 10:30 PM
the only reason why people think golds or oceans creation "Lack" corals is because whenever they have new shipment, its gone within few days some times gone first few hours or opening, leaving only unwanted and common corals behind.

Golds and oceans are the cheapest in town overall

For me the top 3 are ocean creation, golds and RC

globaldesigns
03-27-2012, 10:41 PM
the only reason why people think golds or oceans creation "Lack" corals is because whenever they have new shipment, its gone within few days some times gone first few hours or opening, leaving only unwanted and common corals behind.

Golds and oceans are the cheapest in town overall

For me the top 3 are ocean creation, golds and RC

Good Point, in the past, Kevin @ Golds would call me when a shipment came in, and I would zoom down. It was a plus that the pricing was always killer.

fishoholic
03-28-2012, 12:42 AM
I wasn't trying to imply that they smoke in the shop. I know Kevin would never let that happen.

No worries I know you weren't, I figured you were just giving Doug a hard time and razzing him a bit :biggrin:

Enigma
04-02-2012, 02:53 PM
I visited Golds for the first time on Saturday, based on the feedback in this thread.

Holy smokes! Talk about a busy place. I heard one person say to another (in reference to how busy it was) "It's always like this."

I don't like crowds, and I tend to be a bit claustrophobic. What is the best time to go to Golds? I'd like to have a really good browse in there.

I also visited Ocean Creation on Saturday. I picked up a couple of ELOS tests and a fan for my 10 gallon. He did have some interesting stock.

Red Coral seems to be the best place for me. It is so nice and open. I don't panic when I walk through the door. The service is good, and the frags look nice (don't have any yet . . . so my knowledge is limited).

But, I actually do most of my shopping at Pisces. Some of the gents are very knowledgeable (I've figured out who to deal with). Sure, I sometimes pay a bit more (and I do price check on-line alot). But I drive an F250 and live close to Pisces: I'd rather pay a couple of bucks more for a product then pay an extra ten bucks in fuel costs.

I've found that Big Al's is a big waste of my time. Ditto with Riverfront.

parkinsn
04-02-2012, 03:07 PM
I visited Golds for the first time on Saturday, based on the feedback in this thread.

Holy smokes! Talk about a busy place. I heard one person say to another (in reference to how busy it was) "It's always like this."

I find the evenings to a little more quiet at Golds. The weekends are always busy for sure. They are closed Thursday's for cleaning but anyother night. Durring the weekdays is really quiet if your job doesnt conflict with that.

Enigma
04-02-2012, 03:33 PM
I find the evenings to a little more quiet at Golds. The weekends are always busy for sure. They are closed Thursday's for cleaning but anyother night. Durring the weekdays is really quiet if your job doesnt conflict with that.

I'm a fulltime+ oil and gas office slave (a cartographer in a legal land survey firm). My job conflicts with everything.

On my next "mental health" day I'll pop by Golds. He said he was getting some Cerith snails in (which I want).

TheAce
04-02-2012, 10:42 PM

I don't like crowds, and I tend to be a bit claustrophobic. What is the best time to go to Golds? I'd like to have a really good browse in there.

I also visited Ocean Creation on Saturday. I picked up a couple of ELOS tests and a fan for my 10 gallon. He did have some interesting stock.

Red Coral seems to be the best place for me. It is so nice and open. I don't panic when I walk through the door. The service is good, and the frags look nice (don't have any yet . . . so my knowledge is limited).

But, I actually do most of my shopping at Pisces. Some of the gents are very knowledgeable (I've figured out who to deal with). Sure, I sometimes pay a bit more (and I do price check on-line alot). But I drive an F250 and live close to Pisces: I'd rather pay a couple of bucks more for a product then pay an extra ten bucks in fuel costs.

I've found that Big Al's is a big waste of my time. Ditto with Riverfront.

I find Friday early afternoon is the best... they are closed on thursdays because new shipments arrive, so friday afternoon while everyone is working, you get to see the new stock plus its not as hectic