PDA

View Full Version : Advice on flow for my tank.

rstar
03-22-2012, 05:36 PM
Just looking for some feedback on flow for my tank.

I am currently running one Koralia Evolution (750gph) and two Koralia nano (425gph) each for flow in the tank. Wanting to upgrade to something that will be a little more random, and look a little better than 4 pumps in a smallish tank.

My Options:

Add another Koralia 750 and the hydor pump timer total cost of about $100.

the pros of that are the cost really. Cons i would say are the bulkyness of the pumps

My other option is going with an Ecotech MP10 about $250 total cost

pros are alot of flow, small foot print, great controlability.

cons are the cost, no option to control direction of the flow.

My question to you all is. Is the cost difference worth the controlabiliity of the MP10 or am I going to see the same net benefit using two koralias working in tandem with the hydor pump controller, just loose a little space in the tank at half the cost?

I will add that the tank this is in is a 50G 36"x18"x18" tank, housing mostly lps and softies with a couple sps. Thanks in advance for any advice/input you have!

rstar
03-22-2012, 08:03 PM
The other route to take would be to buy a cheaper controller like the RK Lite and using another Koralia. Options options, any advice at this point would be greatly appreciated.

Bblinks
03-22-2012, 08:20 PM
http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/hy-kortmr/Hydor+Koralia+Smartwave+Pump+Timer.html

Cheaper alternative.

parkinsn
03-22-2012, 08:35 PM
Personally, I would go with the MP10 wes adding to your existing flow ($299) Yes, you can’t aim them but they are also more of a broad flow, and like you said controllable. If you going to add a RK lite and more Koralias it will work out to almost the same cost. The MP10’s are cleaner looking and no heat in the tank, having the motor on the outside. Bang for your buck, the Koralias are better, but not nearly as nice looking. In a small tank the less equipment you see the more your eye is drawn to the live stock. In a big tank the bulky PH’s don’t look as bad as they do in a smaller tank. Feed mode a nice feature with the vortechs as well.

I have 1 MP10, 1x 750gph Koralia, 1x 550gph Koralia in my tank 30”x24”x24”. As soon as my vendor gets stock in on the MP10’s I will be adding 2 more and dropping the Koralias. Not one cord in my display after that, nice and clean looking.

Reefie
03-22-2012, 08:57 PM
+100 On the MP-10!
I finally bucked up and bought one to replace the 2 Tunze 6015's in my BC29. All I have to say is "Why didn't I do this SOONER?" There is WAY more room in the Tank, and NO CORDS! I'm using the Tidal Swell Mode, which cycles from right-left, calm period, left-right, calm period, and then a turbulent rush. DEFINITELY the way to go!!!

Yes, it's a bigger pill to swallow to buck up for it, but it's worth every penny!

Personally, I would go with the MP10 wes adding to your existing flow ($299) Yes, you can’t aim them but they are also more of a broad flow, and like you said controllable. If you going to add a RK lite and more Koralias it will work out to almost the same cost. The MP10’s are cleaner looking and no heat in the tank, having the motor on the outside. Bang for your buck, the Koralias are better, but not nearly as nice looking. In a small tank the less equipment you see the more your eye is drawn to the live stock. In a big tank the bulky PH’s don’t look as bad as they do in a smaller tank. Feed mode a nice feature with the vortechs as well.

I have 1 MP10, 1x 750gph Koralia, 1x 550gph Koralia in my tank 30”x24”x24”. As soon as my vendor gets stock in on the MP10’s I will be adding 2 more and dropping the Koralias. Not one cord in my display after that, nice and clean looking.

rstar
03-23-2012, 02:28 AM
Seems like most people are for the MP10. Myother question about these is, how hot does the dry side get?

Reefie
03-23-2012, 03:36 AM
It just gets warm not hot.

This was also a concern for me as I have 2 little girls with the MP-10 within reach.

rstar
03-23-2012, 04:13 PM
It just gets warm not hot.

This was also a concern for me as I have 2 little girls with the MP-10 within reach.

Exact same here, I also have two little girls within reach!

Reef Pilot
03-23-2012, 07:00 PM
Here's a couple more alternatives to the Ecotech pumps.
http://www.reefsupplies.ca/canada/jbj-oceanstream-duo-wavemaker-kit-1600-gph/

http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/wp-cwm5800/Coralife+DC+5800+Variable+Speed+Wavemaker+Kit.html

I have the Coralife DC 5800 (2 X 2900 gph pumps and controller) in a 100g, and it is plenty of flow for that tank. It has 4 modes with adjustable speeds and pulses for different flow patterns. Also, it comes with a light sensor that dials down your pumps to the low speed at night. Works pretty good, and gives my fish and corals a rest. I use the Koralia magnets (they fit perfectly) instead of the suctions cups (around 13 bucks to replace). And Coralife gives a lifetime warranty on these.
http://www.coralifeproducts.com/Files/Product/wavemaker-instructions.pdf