PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for new tank

Oilers
03-22-2012, 04:25 AM
I admit that I do have MTS (Multiple Tank Syndrome) just like a lot of you on this board. Ever since the tank tour, I've been working on getting myself a second tank and I completed that mission today :mrgreen:
The tank is a JBJ 28G nanocube. I am planning a little zoa gardens with a RBTA, a torch and a frogspawn with a few fishes.
1) Blue spotted jawfish. (I've read that the minimum size tank for this fish is 55G. Is that true?)
2) A couple clown fishes
3) Firefish (purple or helfrich)
4) A cleaner shrimp and a fire shrimp
5) A couple snails
Here is I need your help. What else should I add to the tank? I want some small friendly fish that will co-exist with the above fishes. A starfish? How many more can I add with a tank that size?
Also, for the initial set up, can I use the water from my 150G tank so I don't need to cycle the tank? Should I use 1/2 water from the big tank and make up the other half from fresh or should I make up new water totally?
I don't want a sand bed in this tank. What are other alternatives?

Oilers
03-22-2012, 02:50 PM
Ok, after digging around for some info, I think I would be better off sticking with sand. I was leaning toward crushed coral but there might be problems keeping it clean. Anyway, I am looking for some black sand. Does anybody know where I can get some? Does any LFS carry it?

badfish!
03-22-2012, 03:18 PM
I got my black sand from aqua illusions on the west end. What about a hawk of some sort? I've got a flame hawk in my tank that size, and he is always out to look at whats going on around the room and is very active. I've also got a leopard wrasse and white faced wasp fish in there as well as an emerald crab and a few snails and a lone hermit crab with various zoas, some duncans, mushrooms and frogspawn.

Oilers
03-23-2012, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the suggestions badfish. Flame hawk is a cool looking fish. I will definitely check it out. Gonna get myself some duncans as well.