PDA

View Full Version : Powerhead in a 20 gallon long? yes or no?

scubadawg
03-22-2012, 03:18 AM
Hi
I just did a 20 gallon long Nano reef, and finding out that this powerhead (Marineland maxi jet 1200) really moves a lot of water, too much more this tank, I have 2 new Hydor Koralia Nano Evolution 240 GPH coming in Friday, I hope, Do I really need to runs this powerhead, or can I get away with just using a Aquaclear 70 filter and a Rio Nano skinner, for a few days, until I get a less powerful powerhead.

Thanks

daniella3d
03-22-2012, 03:28 AM
Can't you get the koralia nano and then once you get them you return the maxijet?

As for the current, it really depend what's in the tank. I don't think it would be critical to be with a low flow for a few days, as long as you have the skimmer running so there is no lack of oxygen.

I have some SPS that are in very low flow and they are growing well and thriving.

The problem I see with less current is that heating might be not too uniform and there might be some part of the tank warmer than other.

Hi
I just did a 20 gallon long Nano reef, and finding out that this powerhead (Marineland maxi jet 1200) really moves a lot of water, too much more this tank, I have 2 new Hydor Koralia Nano Evolution 240 GPH coming in Friday, I hope, Do I really need to runs this powerhead, or can I get away with just using a Aquaclear 70 filter and a Rio Nano skinner, for a few days, until I get a less powerful powerhead.

Thanks

monocus
03-22-2012, 03:35 AM
a spray bar might be better for the tank

Casey8
03-22-2012, 03:36 AM
You can lower the powerhead down to the middle of the tank then pointing its nozzle about a few inches into the front glass instead of letting it flow straight across the tank. It will reduce the amount of flow from its direct strong nozzle.