PDA

View Full Version : more fish sickness..

TaioneReefer
03-20-2012, 11:03 PM
So past 2 days, I noticed my hippo tang is started to get bumps on his body. and some of the bumps seem to be ripping apart almost. as if the flesh is comming out.

hes always been healthy and fought thru ich twice.

anyone know if this is another ich breakout or is this something else?

I cant really get a picture to show, as it swims too fast.

My sailfin is finally recovered from ich and now another tang is going at something else :cry:

Reefie
03-22-2012, 09:05 PM
I have learned from personal experience that you should get all the fish out and into a QT and treat them right away.

The Ich on your Sailfin may have just progressed to the next stage of the Ich's life cycle. I thought I had it kicked a few months ago when the spots receeded, but it only comes back, and when it does it comes back a lot worse! I lost 95% of the fish that I had.

I'd definitely recommend QT-ing and treat with Hypo, Copper, or the least with Paraguard.

TaioneReefer
03-22-2012, 09:33 PM
yeah I m in the process of switching tanks, so its the best time for me to treat them all and let the tank sit a couple months without fish.

but I do have a few question if you could answer for me..

I ve been treating the sailfin at 1.010 and its been about 1 week in that salinity, but the spots still seems to be there, should i keep him there for longer?

or should I treat them with copper? but when i treated them with copper, all i had was tank with water, heater and hydor 4. and i just check the copper every other day. how long do i leave them in there for as well?

Thanks reefie

Reefie
03-22-2012, 11:01 PM
I think the minimum treatment with either Hypo or Copper is 2 Weeks, and then 2 Weeks of monitoring.

I'm leaving my DT fallow for a little over 10 Weeks just to be safe. I'm treating the QT with Paraguard for 2 Weeks, then monitoring for 2 Weeks. After that I'm going to go Hypo for 2 Weeks, and then monitoring for another 2 Weeks.

I've had a really bad experience with Ich, so I'm not taking any chances this time.

daniella3d
03-23-2012, 12:33 AM
it should be below 1.010, it should be at 1.009 all the time and it must be adjusted with a very well calibrated refractometer for it to work.

Sometimes it may take a week before the white dots start to go away but the ick cycle is at least 3 weeks so this treatment is much longer than 2 weeks.

Do not treat your fish with copper if there is an open wound. Hyposalinity should be fine.

You must keep the fish at this salinity for at least 4 weeks after the last white spots are gone.

Do not treat with copper in low salinity as the two methods are not compatible.

YOu can dip your fish in Paraguard even in salinity 1.009 and return it to the quarantine tank no problem, for immediate releive. Use the "dip" concentration for one hour. That should help remove some of them.

yeah I m in the process of switching tanks, so its the best time for me to treat them all and let the tank sit a couple months without fish.

but I do have a few question if you could answer for me..

I ve been treating the sailfin at 1.010 and its been about 1 week in that salinity, but the spots still seems to be there, should i keep him there for longer?

or should I treat them with copper? but when i treated them with copper, all i had was tank with water, heater and hydor 4. and i just check the copper every other day. how long do i leave them in there for as well?

Thanks reefie

Aquattro
03-23-2012, 12:39 AM
You could treat with chloroquine, it's effective against ich and velvet. Works with hyposalinity as well.

daniella3d
03-23-2012, 02:02 AM
Only problem is to find it :(

You could treat with chloroquine, it's effective against ich and velvet. Works with hyposalinity as well.

Reefie
03-23-2012, 02:04 AM

Brad has some, and will ship

TaioneReefer
03-23-2012, 02:10 AM
got it, i thought it was supposed to work magically once i drop down to 1.009

and i got it down to 1.009 now

I will just have to wait and see.

Aquattro
03-23-2012, 02:13 AM
Brad has some, and will ship

I'm going to be in Cloverdale over the weekend and could bring you enough to treat, if you wanted to come by to get it. no charge.

TaioneReefer
04-03-2012, 09:03 AM
a little update, as i forgot about it because my hippo tang cured it self 3 days after!
it just comes and goes and its always the hippo tang.

and for my sailfin and scopas, i think they are ready. its been a month in the hypo. i m pretty confident they are ready to go back.