PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Overflow Bulkhead

clowny
03-20-2012, 04:08 AM
I purchased a tank about 1 year ago and have finally ordered all the parts and supplies to get it going. As I was filling the tank I found a massive leak between the glass and the bulk head in the Overflow. I tried to tighten but as I turned the nut the whole bulkhead turned with it. Now the problem is I cannot move the nut without moving the whole bulk head. Problem 2 is the nut is in the overflow. How do i fix/remove this bulk head???? to make sure this leak is settled before the wife kills me and the hard wood is ruined?! Picture added. the 1.5 inch bulk head is the leaking one (big one).

Nano
03-20-2012, 04:10 AM
you'll have to remove it, (if possible) the silicone the gasket to the glass, then silicone the bulkhead to the gasket, then a nice bead around the bulkhead, problem solved. I had the same problem, and now I'm having others ;)

clowny
03-20-2012, 04:12 AM
any advice on how to remove it? we tried for 2 hours turning and turning I guess I will just keep twisting and hope it finally starts to losen.

Nano
03-20-2012, 04:15 AM
:lol: are you twisting it the right way ;) they are trick once they get tightened I found. might have to get your wife to hold from the top and you screw from the bottom, remember righty tighty lefty loosey

clowny
03-20-2012, 04:21 AM
LOL yeah we were twisting left the problem is the previous owner glued or sealed the nut to the bulk head thus causing them to twist together.

Tom R
03-20-2012, 04:54 AM
It is probably not glued. It is probably frozen with salt creep. I used a hacksaw blade on a stick to cut one side. This was very difficult.

I do not think that you can fix it without getting it out.

Good luck

Tom R

Mike-fish
03-20-2012, 05:00 AM
2 channel lock pliers should do the trick

gregzz4
03-20-2012, 05:44 AM
I wish you luck getting it out.

You say the nut is in the overflow ..... I hope this means the bulkhead goes into the overflow from the tank. If it exits the overflow to air, then it was installed backwards and this may be why it leaked.
The gasket goes on the wet side and the nut goes on the dry side. The reason for this is how it seats to the gasket.
Anyway ....
Once you get it out, I'd recommend you buy a new replacement and install it dry. Just past hand tight is a starting point. The gaskets do not like to seal more than once, so make sure you are finished playing with the plumbing before you tighten it.
I learned this when I tried to turn one last month. It would not re-seal.

Silicone may work for some, but it's not recommended as it can cause the gasket to squish out.

fishytime
03-20-2012, 05:52 AM
I wish you luck getting it out.

You say the nut is in the overflow ..... I hope this means the bulkhead goes into the overflow from the tank. If it exits the overflow to air, then it was installed backwards and this may be why it leaked.
The gasket goes on the wet side and the nut goes on the dry side. The reason for this is how it seats to the gasket.
Anyway ....
Once you get it out, I'd recommend you buy a new replacement and install it dry. Just past hand tight is a starting point. The gaskets do not like to seal more than once, so make sure you are finished playing with the plumbing before you tighten it.
I learned this when I tried to turn one last month. It would not re-seal.

Silicone may work for some, but it's not recommended as it can cause the gasket to squish out.

+1....previous owner installed the bulkhead wrong....... a good general rule is to replace any bulkheads when buying a used system.....or at least the gaskets...I would also add that when you instal the bulkhead dry, make sure the glass on both side of the hole are squeaky clean

gregzz4
03-20-2012, 06:00 AM
Ack, I didn't look at the pictures.

Yup, your bulkheads are backwards. Better replace both as you're probably going to trash them during removal.

Aquattro
03-20-2012, 01:17 PM
Hard to tell from the pic, but try putting a 2x4 between the 2 nuts. If it's close to the right size, it will jam them from turning and you can then twist the other end. It's going to be a 2 person job. You might have to remove the overflow to access them properly though...

Cugio
03-20-2012, 02:41 PM
You could also buy a longer threaded pvc pipe and thread it from the bottom up. Have your wife hold it in place. Then use a clamp or lock vise on the nut and remove it. The longer your clamp on the nut, the more leverage you will have to twist it off easier.

Spraying it with some vinegar will also help to remove the salt creep sealing it together.

Good luck

Cubeman
03-20-2012, 04:08 PM
If you're prepared to buy new fittings then use a dremel tool with a cutting wheel and slice down one side.

Seriak
03-20-2012, 04:49 PM
Just don't let any electric drilling tool get away from you or you may have a bigger problem on your hand. You could always glue a piece into the existing bulkhead from below to get something more to hold onto while the other person is twisting from above if you were just going to discard the bulkhead afterwards anyways.

clowny
03-20-2012, 07:06 PM
So i purchased one of these http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/HomeDepotCanada/images/catalog/15814.T152_3.jpg

If that doesnt work I think the wife will do this to me!http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSBSATo3N1GKzKG4GoHJL5EvIF3aPM2y lOHL9jOb94qLocnkCXCsQ and if that doesnt finish me off. I will cut the top off (the part under the tank) and just pull it up and install new ones which I'm gonna put new ones in anyway.

d33ps3a
03-20-2012, 07:12 PM
Its installed backwards.

clowny
03-20-2012, 07:14 PM
right and since its backwards im going to cut off the top which is actually on the bottom. And hopefully that will allow me just to lift the rest out of the overflow.

Reef Puffer
03-20-2012, 07:17 PM
:lol: are you twisting it the right way ;) they are trick once they get tightened I found. might have to get your wife to hold from the top and you screw from the bottom, remember righty tighty lefty loosey
any bulkhead i ever used was reverse threaded therefor "lefty tighty, righty loosey" ? maybe mine are odd? +1 on the bulkheads installed backward tho...

gregzz4
03-20-2012, 07:21 PM
any bulkhead i ever used was reverse threaded therefor "lefty tighty, righty loosey" ? maybe mine are odd?
It will seem that way when you are dealing with them upside down

cuz
03-20-2012, 09:42 PM

The bulkheads I just bought are righty loosey,,,,lefty tighty.....

fishmanty
03-20-2012, 09:54 PM
The bulkheads I just bought are righty loosey,,,,lefty tighty.....

They are made that way by some suppliers to prevent the accidental loosening if you are tightening another fitting downstream from it. All that will happen is you will tighten it more. They are available both ways depending on the application/manufacturer. I always get messed up by this and end up turning and turning and wondering why the threads aren't biting. Oops!

tim the toolman
03-20-2012, 10:04 PM
Just installed a bulkhead in my RO res and it was lefty tighty, righty, loosey.

clowny
03-21-2012, 02:53 AM
So I tried the wrench NO GOOD... wife chopped my head off not for having a leaking tank but for buy a tool for 10.00 that didnt solve the problem.... So I cut into the bulkhead, first I cut into the top of the bulkhead (on the bottom) and chipped a piece out with a flat screwdriver to reveal glue... so I cut at the top inside the bulkhead towards the nut and found glue holding the nut on and glue holding the top (bottom) to the screw in piece... If I continue to cut the bulkhead in slits on the inside will i be able to get this to come out? I want to know if anyone has had this happen with a solution. Thanks for the ideas so far keep them coming I'll try anything to get this out!