PDA

View Full Version : Zoas melting

Nano
03-20-2012, 12:51 AM
well it looks like the shock from what ever happened in my tank is melting 90% of my zoas, 2 ricordea are detaching themselves from the frag plugs and I am down to one snail. So far my zoa casualties are,
blue eye blondes
purple hornets
radioactive dragon eyes
orange oxides
xmas
supermans
teal rings
green tea paly
orange explosions
some pink ones
dennys mix frag
watermelons
possibly my hammer and frogspawn as well.

what a bummer. thats a good $400+ worth of corals:sad::sad:

daniella3d
03-20-2012, 01:24 AM
That's really sad. Could be due to the contaminated carbon as when I got copper poisoning all my zoa and paly where turning wierd and many have melted away over a day or 2 after that event.

Also alkalinity swing are very detrimental to zoanthids but if there are so many of them affected, it could be copper.

Have you done copper test?

You could try dosing some vitamin C to see if that help.

well it looks like the shock from what ever happened in my tank is melting 90% of my zoas, 2 ricordea are detaching themselves from the frag plugs and I am down to one snail. So far my zoa casualties are,
blue eye blondes
purple hornets
radioactive dragon eyes
orange oxides
xmas
supermans
teal rings
green tea paly
orange explosions
some pink ones
dennys mix frag
watermelons
possibly my hammer and frogspawn as well.

what a bummer. thats a good $400+ worth of corals:sad::sad:

Nano
03-20-2012, 01:35 AM
Where do I get vitamin c. And no haven't been up to the city to get a copper test.

Nano
03-20-2012, 02:30 AM
anyone? I want to try to salvage what I can. not counting on much left over by the end of the week,

Aquattro
03-20-2012, 03:16 AM
Where do I get vitamin c.

Drug store, grocery store?

Nano
03-20-2012, 03:19 AM
Drug store, grocery store?

well yeah ;) any specific type? like vitamin pills or drops or powders? anyone know of a good kind?

The Grizz
03-20-2012, 03:34 AM
Regular Vit C tablets will work, just crush them up.

BTW: CRAPPY DEAL DUDE!

Nano
03-20-2012, 03:41 AM
Regular Vit C tablets will work, just crush them up.

BTW: CRAPPY DEAL DUDE!
your telling me dude.. and thanks!

BTW your eagle eyes or what ever they are are ok so far. hoping they last

fishytime
03-20-2012, 03:54 AM
I wouldnt use the tablets....most will contain fillers, colors, and other crap the neither your zoas or the rest of your tank need......IF you wanna start dosing Vc.....go to a pharmacist and ask for ascorbic acid.....google the dosing amounts

daniella3d
03-20-2012, 03:57 AM
Or order sodium ascorbate (pure vitamin C) online from www.iherb.com (http://www.iherb.com)

http://www.iherb.com/NutriBiotic-Sodium-Ascorbate-Crystalline-Powder-16-oz-454-g/10178?at=0

Borderjumper
03-20-2012, 03:57 AM
Weren't you the guy who used black sand, that was sticking to a magnet? Maybe all your problems and not carbon related? Anyways, if it were me, and my tank was newish and small, and everything was dying anyways...and my sand was magnetic..

I would take the tank apart, throw that sand away and basically do a 100% water change. Just sayin

Nano
03-20-2012, 04:04 AM
Weren't you the guy who used black sand, that was sticking to a magnet? Maybe all your problems and not carbon related? Anyways, if it were me, and my tank was newish and small, and everything was dying anyways...and my sand was magnetic..

I would take the tank apart, throw that sand away and basically do a 100% water change. Just sayin

its not the sand, several people I have talked to have the same sand. no problems for years. I added kent carbon and calcium on friday, then saturday morning everything was bonkers. I'm steering towards that being the problem

daniella3d
03-20-2012, 08:34 PM
have you done a copper test yet? this is important to find out if you need to do more water change or not.

its not the sand, several people I have talked to have the same sand. no problems for years. I added kent carbon and calcium on friday, then saturday morning everything was bonkers. I'm steering towards that being the problem

Nano
03-20-2012, 10:51 PM
have you done a copper test yet? this is important to find out if you need to do more water change or not.
Like I said, havent had a chance to pick up a kit for copper. I dont have any spare time. might have to make a trip tonight. but I have a good 15 gallons of water mixed for tonight. some of the zoas are opened and the rest are turning that brown color they get when they decide they want to die.

Nano
03-20-2012, 11:21 PM
K got copper test and polyfilter will test when i get home

Nano
03-21-2012, 01:06 AM
copper test came up lighter the the lightest color, just slight color in it, it was very hard to tell if it was shadow or color. at any rate, less then 10ppm, should I do another 10-25% WC? looks like I have some Diatoms today.. :redface: ricordeas have come back to life and the acans as well. should I hold out or do a small WC?

The Grizz
03-21-2012, 01:26 AM
A water change would not hurt one bit, maybe 5%.

daniella3d
03-21-2012, 01:28 AM
10 ppm of copper is huge. are you sure it's not in the range of .10?

In any case, anything showing up on these tests is not a good sign since they are not as precise as pro lab machines.

The level to kill ick is .120 usually. What killed many of my corals we at .035 or around that since this is only an estimate.

copper test came up lighter the the lightest color, just slight color in it, it was very hard to tell if it was shadow or color. at any rate, less then 10ppm, should I do another 10-25% WC? looks like I have some Diatoms today.. :redface: ricordeas have come back to life and the acans as well. should I hold out or do a small WC?

Nano
03-21-2012, 01:30 AM
A water change would not hurt one bit, maybe 5%.

yeah I think I might do a few gallons. looks like one of the purple hornets pulled through! that made my day. also one monti frag seems to have some color(not much) today. my asorbic acid comes in on thursday, so then I can start nursing the zoas back to health. When I went to Big als, and told them the story, he was on the phone with kent right away, and kind of gave them sh** for not emailing me back. lol. either way its no biggie since a few things survived, lesson learned

daniella3d
03-21-2012, 01:35 AM
Go very slowly with the dosage and start with a small dose for the first few weeks and increase the dosage very slowly. Watch your other corals reaction before you increase the dose.

yeah I think I might do a few gallons. looks like one of the purple hornets pulled through! that made my day. also one monti frag seems to have some color(not much) today. my asorbic acid comes in on thursday, so then I can start nursing the zoas back to health. When I went to Big als, and told them the story, he was on the phone with kent right away, and kind of gave them sh** for not emailing me back. lol. either way its no biggie since a few things survived, lesson learned

Nano
03-21-2012, 01:40 AM
10 ppm of copper is huge. are you sure it's not in the range of .10?

In any case, anything showing up on these tests is not a good sign since they are not as precise as pro lab machines.

The level to kill ick is .120 usually. What killed many of my corals we at .035 or around that since this is only an estimate.

sorry yeah .10ppm lol I always forget the decimal.

Nano
03-21-2012, 01:42 AM
thanks guys, I will do another medium/small WC tonight about 10g or so. also have the polyfilter in the sump baffles now too. glad to see a few things opened today

Nano
03-22-2012, 12:25 AM
So today all surging zoas are opened. And it looks like few of each frag that I thought were done for have one or two survivors! One monti has some color and seems to be coming back so all is not lost thank jebus.

The Grizz
03-22-2012, 12:28 AM
That is some good news bro!

Nano
03-22-2012, 12:32 AM
I'll say, I was sweating bullets the last few days. Still have a huge diatom problem from the WC but I'm just glad some of the corals survived. The hammer and frogspawn still aren't happy, but I expect they will come back sooner or later

The Grizz
03-22-2012, 12:39 AM
I have a good supply of good quality carbon if you need some.

Nano
03-22-2012, 01:17 AM
Cool thanks dude. This polyfilter is well worth the money too, it polishes the water and takes so much crap out of it

daniella3d
03-22-2012, 03:29 AM
well .10 is the dosage to kill ick...so still huge.

sorry yeah .10ppm lol I always forget the decimal.

Nano
03-28-2012, 09:05 PM
A big thanks to the customer support at Kent Marine today, After sending them an email in regards to my copper levels after adding the carbon, as well as pre and post-carbon pictures and receipts, I am being sent a nice "little" care package (Right Grizz ;);)) :) so this is an awesome turn of events! I never expected any compensation, except for a refund of the carbon, but I am more then happy with the results!

Although I currently wouldnt recommend the use of their carbon, I would Highly recommend them for their outstanding service!

fishmanty
03-28-2012, 09:18 PM
A big thanks to the customer support at Kent Marine today, After sending them an email in regards to my copper levels after adding the carbon, as well as pre and post-carbon pictures and receipts, I am being sent a nice "little" care package (Right Grizz ;);)) :) so this is an awesome turn of events! I never expected any compensation, except for a refund of the carbon, but I am more then happy with the results!

Although I currently wouldnt recommend the use of their carbon, I would Highly recommend them for their outstanding service!

Care to share what the care package contained for us curious folk?

Nano
03-28-2012, 09:23 PM
The are sending me a few little goodies, like a digital thermometer and timer, and a t5 light(not sure what brand). Like I said I wasn't asking for or expecting anything more then my refund, but since they have had so many carbon recalls they are treating carbon recalls with "priority" according to her, as the carbon does a lot of short and long term damage.

Nano
03-28-2012, 09:45 PM
BTW its a FW T5 set up not reef so nothing pricey :):)

daniella3d
03-28-2012, 10:07 PM
I went to Aquatica in Montreal today and they told me that Kent Marine pulled ALL the Kent carbon out of the shelves, all of it. I was glad to hear that because I was afraid that some other uninformed person might ruine their reef because of an incomplete recall.

I am really glad they did this, so nobody else is going to suffer this disaster. My tank is slowly recovering but I can see that a few of my SPS are not recovering. The skeleton and frame of some of them are very fragile, bristle and breaks easily and they have no polyp extension and it's getting worse. Some other corals are like 100% back to normal. It is amazing how a little bit of copper can do that much dammage :(

The are sending me a few little goodies, like a digital thermometer and timer, and a t5 light(not sure what brand). Like I said I wasn't asking for or expecting anything more then my refund, but since they have had so many carbon recalls they are treating carbon recalls with "priority" according to her, as the carbon does a lot of short and long term damage.

Nano
03-28-2012, 10:12 PM
Yes I agree, Big Als in Edmonton is also pulling all the batches that are from before the recall, I am just glad to have the copper back to 0ppm, LuAnn @ Kent was a real joy to deal with, when I told her what happened she immediately offered product compensation for the the dollar amount of my corals, provided I could provide receipts, luckily for me my wife is anal about receipts so I found most of them. I still never expected it to go like this, as said I was happy with just getting a refund, maybe a credit I could use to put towards some new coral/ equipment, but what she did was above and beyond, and I am very happy with her service to me.

daniella3d
03-29-2012, 03:13 AM
This whole event was very very sad and unfortunate. I feel bad for this company. They must feel really bad as well.

Hopefully it will resolve with time and nobody else is going to have problem with the carbon.

It is very sad.

Yes I agree, Big Als in Edmonton is also pulling all the batches that are from before the recall, I am just glad to have the copper back to 0ppm, LuAnn @ Kent was a real joy to deal with, when I told her what happened she immediately offered product compensation for the the dollar amount of my corals, provided I could provide receipts, luckily for me my wife is anal about receipts so I found most of them. I still never expected it to go like this, as said I was happy with just getting a refund, maybe a credit I could use to put towards some new coral/ equipment, but what she did was above and beyond, and I am very happy with her service to me.

Nano
03-29-2012, 03:21 AM
This whole event was very very sad and unfortunate. I feel bad for this company. They must feel really bad as well.

Hopefully it will resolve with time and nobody else is going to have problem with the carbon.

It is very sad.

Well she said they have added 2 additional quality control sections to the manufacturing process to ensure it doesn't happen again, and yes she did feel very bad, worst part was she could related as she had the same experience in her tank right before the recall. So she was eager to help