PDA

View Full Version : What is growing in my tank? Pics added

tim the toolman
03-19-2012, 11:08 PM
For some time now i have had these thin stony sticks growing in mostly the unlit areas of my tank. They are starting to spread quite heavily and my questions are, A. Should I be concerned and B. What can I do to get rid of them. They are not tubes, but occasionally when I do a heavy feeding I will see them slime a bit. I will try and post pics asap.

wingedfish
03-19-2012, 11:13 PM
Vermetid snails. Nothing you can really do about them. They are unsightly and a sign that you are feeding too much.

tim the toolman
03-19-2012, 11:19 PM
i agree that this is what is in my tank but can find no reference anywhere to show this is a sign of overfeeding. I also am seeing some instances of copperbands eating them. Has anyone had any success in removing them from their system. I only feed 2x a day and the food is consumed in about 10- 15 seconds with alomost none settling.

tim the toolman
03-19-2012, 11:21 PM
http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q551/timmycats/DSCF1791-1.jpg
http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q551/timmycats/DSCF1793-1.jpg

fishytime
03-19-2012, 11:31 PM
not vermnatid snails......I had an ID on those once, but I forget what they are called now:redface:

tim the toolman
03-19-2012, 11:39 PM
I think winged fish is right actually. I googles some pics of them and there are several different types of these little buggers but I do see some just like em.
So far I cannot find any info on how to get rid of them other than to superglue them but I have way to many to superglue. Maybe it's time to take all my live rock out for a scrub FML.

tim the toolman
03-19-2012, 11:40 PM
not vermnatid snails......I had an ID on those once, but I forget what they are called now:redface:

If you come up with something else I'm all ears because Vermetids is the last thing I want them to be lol

Mandosh
03-19-2012, 11:45 PM
If you come up with something else I'm all ears because Vermetids is the last thing I want them to be lol

Correction...colonial hydroids is the last thing you want them to be.

tim the toolman
03-19-2012, 11:49 PM
Correction...colonial hydroids is the last thing you want them to be.

I do not think they are colonial hydroids as I have never seen a head come out of them. They only slime occasionally which according to what I have been reading is how Vermetids breed.

Mandosh
03-19-2012, 11:55 PM
I do not think they are colonial hydroids as I have never seen a head come out of them. They only slime occasionally which according to what I have been reading is how Vermetids breed.

Nah, they look like vermetids to me as well. Just wanted to point out that they are, by far, not the worst case scenario.

tim the toolman
03-20-2012, 12:03 AM
Well they may not be the worst but they sure know how to reproduce some quick.

Proteus
03-20-2012, 12:28 AM
I have them Also. Copperband does nip at them
Keeping in check.

Here's a good read on them. Basically you have to manually remove them

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rs/index.php

tim the toolman
03-20-2012, 12:31 AM
I have them Also. Copperband does nip at them
Keeping in check.

Here's a good read on them. Basically you have to manually remove them

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rs/index.php

Yeah I read this and I also found some other info saying that Halloween hermits may eat them as well as peppermint shrimp? Anyone that can back this up?
Also if I was to buy a copper band should I worry much about my yellow tang fightin with it?

fishytime
03-20-2012, 12:35 AM
hmmm.....see, you learn something new every day.....I didnt realize the little red ones were snails too.....I thought they were some kind of tube worm

Proteus
03-20-2012, 12:50 AM
Originally I thought them to be a hydroids of some
Sort

whatcaneyedo
03-20-2012, 04:05 AM
Yup better bust out the flame thrower and torch your rock to get rid of those pesky vermetid snails... because... because... they reproduce too much and you don't like they way they look? Why not just cover them up with some nice attractive looking coral? Me and my crazy ideas. :mrgreen:

shrimpchips
03-20-2012, 04:18 AM
Peppermint shrimp will go elbows deep to eat the little suckers :)

tim the toolman
03-20-2012, 04:46 AM
Peppermint shrimp will go elbows deep to eat the little suckers :)

i read this somewhere as well. maybe i will try them tomorrow