PDA

View Full Version : Chaeto tank size

gregzz4
03-19-2012, 10:34 PM
What is your opinion on the smallest size tank for Chaeto? I originally designed my sump with a 5g holding tank, but I want to downsize it as it's getting in the way of my pumps' sump area.
My system will be approx 110g total.

Blom
03-19-2012, 10:49 PM
What is your opinion on the smallest size tank for Chaeto? I originally designed my sump with a 5g holding tank, but I want to downsize it as it's getting in the way of my pumps' sump area.
My system will be approx 110g total.

I had chaeto in a 3g HOB refuge and it grew like mad...

whatcaneyedo
03-19-2012, 11:26 PM
How is the phosphate in your tank? If its a big problem you might be harvesting chaeto out of a 5 gal weekly. If its completely under control you might not be able to grow it period. I gave up on the stuff last year. Coraline algae was growing on the outside and sponges on the inside of my little softball.

gregzz4
03-19-2012, 11:52 PM
No Phosphates ......
The tank is not running yet and I am still designing the sump. Due to future Skimmer considerations, the layout of my filter socks and the heaters, I am trying to downsize my original design. With my current drawing, it's looking like I may end up with a holding tank of about 3g.

gregzz4
03-20-2012, 05:48 AM
Made up my mind and I'm going with a 2.5g tank. 6 x 12 x 8 tall

reefwars
03-20-2012, 02:14 PM
wont matter the size for cheato as it will get harvested weekly if it grows good. obviously the more you have the better job it does.

it also loves nitrates:)

i grow almost a basketball weekly:P

Myka
03-20-2012, 02:44 PM
Since Chaeto does best if it is tumbling you need to either make a cube shape (matching depth of the water) to accommodate a ball, or make a long narrow section to accommodate a hotdog shaped wad of Chaeto. I would suggest when you design this that you consider that your reef should only need the Chaeto in the first year (or maybe down the road on occasion when you're having troubles with nutrients). It is a nice option to have.