PDA

View Full Version : The cutest baby fish ever!

naesco
03-19-2012, 07:18 PM
Saw the cutest baby Bangaii Cardinals at J&L.
They are about the size of your thumbnail.
And the best is that they are captive bred.

I read somewhere they shoal. Can someone confirm.

Zoaelite
03-19-2012, 07:41 PM
Saw the cutest baby Bangaii Cardinals at J&L.
They are about the size of your thumbnail.
And the best is that they are captive bred.

They certainly will, watch out as they get old though you can have pairs form which will become aggressive to any others in the tank.

They are even cuter when he first spits them out, @ that time they are about the size of a pencil eraser.

Nano
03-19-2012, 09:25 PM
I saw some bangai fry at big als on saturday about 5mm long, super cute

gregzz4
03-19-2012, 09:26 PM
As stated above, they will school until they mature and pair off. Then they will start to Kill each other.

canadianbudz604
03-19-2012, 10:06 PM
I have a single one in my 10g nano he is mesmerized by my frogspawn for some reason... spends most of the day looking at it circling it and turns sideways to get a different view of it lol super cool fish

naesco
03-19-2012, 10:39 PM
I have a single one in my 10g nano he is mesmerized by my frogspawn for some reason... spends most of the day looking at it circling it and turns sideways to get a different view of it lol super cool fish

If you have or get an urchin they will head right into it.
I think it must provide them with protection.

Cubeman
03-20-2012, 03:34 AM
Anyway to tell the difference between male and females when you buy them?

SkunkClown
03-20-2012, 12:18 PM
They are cute!! I have some right now in the males mouth. Ready to come out I think they keep poking their tiny heads out.

Has anyone raised them before?

naesco
03-20-2012, 11:03 PM
Anyway to tell the difference between male and females when you buy them?

I was interested in finding out too. I found this on reefs.org. So it sound like you buy a few of the little ones and when they pair off trade the extra ones you have.

Sexing Banggais
This is the most asked question I receive, and the one question I cannot answer fully. Even though I have seen over 300 banggaiԳ I am only 50/50 on juvenile animals (animals under 1-1.5inches SVL). When the animals reach sexual maturity (12-14 months), then the jawline takes on a characteristic structure, particularly the male which gets squared off. The second dorsal fin is an excellent characteristic, as the males second dorsal extends past the caudal peduncle, however this flowing fin is often nipped off by other fish. The most accurate sexing method: My best method of sexing banggaiճ is using my establish male [the original male banggai from the article]. I introduce another banggai into his tank and within 10 mins he either is trying to kill him (male) or trying to mate with it (female)...HE IS 100% ACCURATE!!! I have sexed many friends banggai this way. Alternatively you can buy 4 or 5 banggais allow then to reach sexual maturity and they will pair off, and please, please, return the unpaired banggais.