PDA

View Full Version : ATO issue.... maybe

paddyob
03-17-2012, 11:48 PM
OK so the JBJ ATO is set up.

But once the pump is shut off.... water continues to siphon from the res to the sump.

I did as directed and the end is not submerged in the sump.

Not sure what the issue or correction might be.

If anyone can help out, that would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Mandosh
03-17-2012, 11:59 PM
Is the water level in your ato reservoir higher than the level in the sump?

Reefie
03-18-2012, 12:41 AM
Did you use a check valve? Or is the reservoir placed higher than the sump? If so, gravity is creating the siphon, in which case a check valve would work.

The Grizz
03-18-2012, 01:01 AM
The ATO pump can not be higher them your sump. It has to be even with bottom of sump or lower, it's a matter of gravity.

bignose
03-18-2012, 01:19 AM
peristaltic pump will stop this but I'm not sure of flow rates

paddyob
03-18-2012, 01:28 AM
The ATO pump can not be higher them your sump. It has to be even with bottom of sump or lower, it's a matter of gravity.

It is at the same level.

It is bottom of res... hose goes up... angles down into sump.

Does the angle of the hose have any bearing on it?

paddyob
03-18-2012, 01:49 AM
Is the water level in your ato reservoir higher than the level in the sump?

The res is tall.

angles down into the sump.

outacontrol
03-18-2012, 02:09 AM
It is called gravity and the pump is starting a siphon. The reservoir needs to be lower than the output, or use a check valve, or use a different plumbing method.
I thought that you were putting your reservoir in the basement?

The Grizz
03-18-2012, 02:31 AM
It is at the same level.

It is bottom of res... hose goes up... angles down into sump.

Does the angle of the hose have any bearing on it?

The output end of the hose into the sump has to be the high point, there can't be a downward flow.

Mandosh
03-18-2012, 02:33 AM
The res is tall.

angles down into the sump.

You have to make sure the output of the top-off hose is higher than the water level you run in the reservoir or you're going to get gravity feed.

EDIT:

^^ what he said...

cale262
03-18-2012, 02:17 PM
I have a tall res for one of my tanks, much higher than the level in my sump so I ran the top off line to the DT overflow which is higher than both.

paddyob
03-18-2012, 02:23 PM
It is called gravity and the pump is starting a siphon. The reservoir needs to be lower than the output, or use a check valve, or use a different plumbing method.
I thought that you were putting your reservoir in the basement?

Yes it will be in the basement. But I do not have time to take that project on right now.

It's not back siphoning so I don't see a check valve being of any use.

I cant see everybody having their res lower than the sump. I Would bet
Most people have them at the same level, or are using a tall standing res.

lee9
03-18-2012, 03:16 PM
Yes, I also run my top off line directly into my display tank which is higher than my resevoir because I have no sump on my RSM 250. If your pump is adjustable reducing the flow may be worth a try.

sphelps
03-18-2012, 03:29 PM
Why not just pump into the overflow box instead of the sump?

paddyob
03-18-2012, 03:33 PM
Why not just pump into the overflow box instead of the sump?

I guess I'll try that. Just worry about the delay to drain, make it's way to the sensors and still over fill.

Thanks people.

Nate
03-18-2012, 03:46 PM
Pump output must be above the highest level the water can be in the resevoir. So water may have to fall 2 feet into sump.

What I usually do on these installs is plumb in a much larger line, like 1 inch pvc from the bottom of the stand to just above my water level in the sump. And then just run my pump line into the top of the PVC (close to the stand) and let it run through there down into the sump so you don't have water free falling 2 feet. Due to the line being bigger, that helps with your syphon stop.

Nate

paddyob
03-18-2012, 03:48 PM
Pump output must be above the highest level the water can be in the resevoir. So water may have to fall 2 feet into sump.

What I usually do on these installs is plumb in a much larger line, like 1 inch pvc from the bottom of the stand to just above my water level in the sump. And then just run my pump line into the top of the PVC (close to the stand) and let it run through there down into the sump so you don't have water free falling 2 feet. Due to the line being bigger, that helps with your syphon stop.

Nate

I just discovered this on another site. Was considering it. Might go this route.

paddyob
03-18-2012, 04:40 PM
I have some of the grey PVC lying around. Is this able to be used in this application? I think I will try the larger PVC and just let the pump hose drain to this.

I used white (potable) for my tank... just not sure if the grey has some property that is undesirable.

Mandosh
03-18-2012, 04:45 PM
It'll either be Sc80 or electirical conduit; both will be fine.

paddyob
03-18-2012, 05:27 PM
It'll either be Sc80 or electirical conduit; both will be fine.

I believe it was the electrical stuff.

So nothing to worry about in regards to contamination of my water?

paddyob
03-19-2012, 02:02 AM
Well grey conduit pipe and two elbows laying around.

Cut.

Plumbing cement tomorrow and and then I'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the input.

paddyob
03-20-2012, 07:10 PM

Nate

This worked like a charm. Had all the parts needed to zip something together.

Thanks!

tim the toolman
03-20-2012, 09:54 PM
I had to do the same lol. Glad it's workin for yah.

paddyob
03-21-2012, 04:26 PM
I had to do the same lol. Glad it's workin for yah.

The real test will be seen when I get home... First real top up happens sometime this aft... While I'm at work.

tim the toolman
03-22-2012, 02:17 AM
And........how did you make out today?

gregzz4
03-22-2012, 02:21 AM
Ya, c'mon, how'd it go?

paddyob
03-22-2012, 04:19 PM
Success!

Worked great.

daniella3d
03-22-2012, 05:46 PM
I think you will be fine. I have 2 JBJ ATO for 2 years and they have been working flawlessly.