PDA

View Full Version : clowns & mandarins

rusty shackleford
03-17-2012, 11:09 PM
just wondering if a pair of clowns would get along with my two mandarins

-would a pair of clowns be more aggressive together vs a single clown?
-witch clowns are the least aggressive?
-best anemone for them?

i feed my mandarins frozen food, would a clown (or pair) beat on them and steal there food?

tanks 48 gallons , 4' long

reefwars
03-17-2012, 11:19 PM

-best anemone for them?

i feed my mandarins frozen food, would a clown (or pair) beat on them and steal there food?

mandarins have a way with staying under the radar, i think you would be fine.clowns are faster eaters though :)

reefwars
03-17-2012, 11:21 PM
all clowns are aggressive if they have enough territory they all can be happy.

all cowns are mean :P beautiful though:)

my fave is cinnamon but very aggressive i have a pair of black percs they are also pretty snappy:P

Timbits
03-17-2012, 11:53 PM

-best anemone for them?

1. Most likely yes, 2 clowns together would mean that they can pair up and become a male and a female, in that case they will have to go thru the process of deciding who gets to be who. and after they are paired up they may mature fast and start reproducing. when they get to this stage they get pretty aggressive and fight off any fish that comes near their "spot"

2. Percula clowns like nemo would be the least aggressive

3. best anemone i would have to say would be the bubble tip anemone. Almost every clown will host that in captivity from experience.

To answer your question though, I think you will be fine. They wont be that aggressive towards the mandarin esp in a tank that size. But they are aggressive feeders so they could take all the food before your mandarin gets any. i would try to spot feed the mandarin to make sure he gets enough. hope this helps.

rusty shackleford
03-18-2012, 12:04 AM
deffinatly helpful and exactly what i was hoping, i have to turn pumps off to feed and usually have to vac up uneaten food so hopefully clowns will eat up whats left over. (vaccuming up food, straining then rinsing every thing a couple times a day is a PITA

thanks

Timbits
03-18-2012, 12:10 AM
no problem buddy, glad that helped :biggrin:

dc4
03-18-2012, 01:54 AM
Everything in my tank, including my pair of clowns, completely ignore my pair of mandarins. Its like they are invisible to everyone and just go about their business hunting pods.

mike31154
03-18-2012, 02:34 AM
My Mandarin is fine with a mated pair of Maroon Clownfish in the system. I had two male Mandarins for a while & even that kind of worked, but not long term so I passed the little Mandarin on to another hobbyist. Once in a while the Mandarin will get a little close to the Maroons' clutch of eggs & the female will give him a little nudge, but that's about it. I believe Mandarins have some sort of coating that is very distasteful, so most other fish leave them alone after the first encounter.

You shouldn't have a problem. Feeding might be the only thing. Many Mandarins will not take any kind of prepared food & risk starvation in a system without sufficient pod population. It's a bonus that yours are trained to take prepared food.

BlueWorldAquatic
03-18-2012, 02:59 AM
I have 2 darwins with a male mandarin (eating pellets) in my 10gal without problems.

And they are breeding clows too, so they should be aggressive, but they leave him alone. Even near the eggs

Flash
03-18-2012, 03:03 AM
I have 2 darwins with a male mandarin (eating pellets) in my 10gal without problems.

And they are breeding clows too, so they should be aggressive, but they leave him alone. Even near the eggs
i've seen this... it's true... and quite amazing to watch! lol! still trying to find a way to steal ken's darwins

rusty shackleford
03-18-2012, 03:10 AM
i think all mandarins eat frozen food, if the other fish would give them a chance.

my pair were the only fish in my tank and within a week of getting them they were already eating frozen food.

now when i put the syringe of food in the tank to thaw the male will actually come up to the top to suck food right out of it.

SkunkClown
03-18-2012, 02:32 PM
I Think its ok. My single mandarin is housed with 2 skunk clowns and 2 tomato clowns. (200g). You will probably have to start target feeding the mandarin because the clowns are much faster eaters. It's great it's eating frozen! I feed mine bloodworms from a turkey baster.

What kind of clowns are you thinking? My skunk clowns host a sebae anemone and the tomatoes a bubble tip. There are lots of compatibility charts online and indivdual fish are different and don't always follow the rules. I have read ocellaris clown are one of the least aggresive.

rusty shackleford
03-18-2012, 10:08 PM
just grabbed these two yesterday http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=84331

super health and active, and no agresstion at all toward the mandarins

daniella3d
03-19-2012, 01:11 AM
I also have no problem with my mandarin pair and my black ice clownfish pair. Before that I had fancy white and regular occelaris and still no problem.