PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about your reef safe Emperor Angels!

Aquattro
03-17-2012, 04:11 PM
Thinking of adding a medium sized nearly transitioned Emperor. Let's hear the success stories with SPS :)

H22_TURBO
03-17-2012, 04:49 PM
mine has been good with my sps(so far) but it picks at some of my zoas, the nice once :sad:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d46/BLACKGOLDPARTS/129.jpg

Aquattro
03-17-2012, 04:55 PM
I've only got hitchhiker zoos, so those leaving wouldn't be an issue. I have a torch and a frogspawn, but mostly acros. I've read they can get nippy as they get older, but not terrible. I can live with nippy. Probably have to get rid of my clam though :)
I also read one thread where the angel ate all the aptasia. Cool. Also, if they like those purple clove polyps, I have a feast in my tank -lol

eli@fijireefrock.com
03-17-2012, 05:23 PM
I have one going on 2 years got as a baby and now it is over 4",living in a mix reef tank with no issues at all as I have a couple SPS few LPS, a couple softies and a bunch of zoas.I think they are hit and miss and thinking maybe if you get it as a baby you might have a better chance

rastaangel
03-17-2012, 05:26 PM
Ive had my emperor in my 90g SPS tank for almost a year and hes never nipped anything BUT he does inspect all new arrivals with a fine tooth comb

Aquattro
03-17-2012, 05:26 PM
thinking maybe if you get it as a baby you might have a better chance

I'm in a position to get a particular one, so a baby isn't really an option. Worst case is I have to catch it. With over 100 SPS colonies, hopefully it doesn't do too much damage before I have to catch it.
I have read quite a few threads now though, that claim they are fairly reasonable with SPS and euphyllia corals. I think I'll chance it.

eli@fijireefrock.com
03-17-2012, 05:56 PM
I'm in a position to get a particular one, so a baby isn't really an option. Worst case is I have to catch it. With over 100 SPS colonies, hopefully it doesn't do too much damage before I have to catch it.
I have read quite a few threads now though, that claim they are fairly reasonable with SPS and euphyllia corals. I think I'll chance it.

Hope it works out for you,I could only imagine the hassle for removing the fish after being introduced to a full tank.On a side note there are 4 types of euphyllia and brains in my tank with no problems

sully08
03-28-2012, 07:16 PM
I just put a Juvi in and he has no interest at all in any corals

Aquattro
03-28-2012, 07:18 PM
I'm picking it up this weekend, going into treatment tank for a couple weeks then we'll see what happens :)

naesco
03-29-2012, 12:07 AM
I'm picking it up this weekend, going into treatment tank for a couple weeks then we'll see what happens :)

I am sure you have read this stuff on keeping large angels, but for the benefit of those that have not here they are.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/3/fish#section-8
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/1/fish

Bottom Line is that if a reefer isexperienced, take care in their feeding and have a suitably large tank the reefer should be successful in keeping larger angels.

I might be setting up an angel tank in the near future so please keep a record of coral they prefer to eat.
Thanks
Wayne

Aquattro
04-25-2012, 05:13 PM
Update. Empy (named by Ronnie at Proreef) has been in the tank for a few days now. No nipping and even has left the clam alone. Of course the clam will now probably be eaten when I get home because I said that, but so far, he's a good fish.

rastaangel
04-25-2012, 06:18 PM
I hope you have success. My emperor or majestic have never touched my clams altho my blueface is kinda eyeing them up over the past week

Werbo
01-02-2013, 10:21 PM
Brad - Update? How has the Emperor been?

Aquattro
01-03-2013, 12:50 AM
Tyler, he's doing fine. Goes after my male anthias regularly, but it's just a bit of grunting and some posturing. Be aware that one doesn't mean the next would be good, all Angels are gambles. I had a Queen that was an angel (see what I did there? :)) and after losing that one in the Marine Velvet fiasco, tried another. The second ate polyps off of every coral in the tank.

Snappy
01-03-2013, 01:05 AM
Sorry I don't have a success story to share Brad. When I had one it was fine until it matured and then ate clams, LPS, and any fuzzy sps such a S.caliendrum. It is a beautiful fish but mine eventually had to be moved out of my display tank. That said a friend of mine had one for 7 years with no issues but he had mostly soft corals with some SPS and no LPS.
Like any fish I think they are hit & miss - sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't.
Good luck.

Werbo
01-03-2013, 02:56 AM
I have no short term plans but it is thread and a topic that i'd consider down the road...

naesco
01-03-2013, 03:22 AM
Thinking of adding a medium sized nearly transitioned Emperor. Let's hear the success stories with SPS :)

Don't do it Brad. Inherited one from my son's tank after the fish almost totalled his SPC ate the mouth out of prized acan and also other LPS and nipped on the clams.
I have softies.

Werbo
01-03-2013, 04:19 AM
Already done and no issues 8 months in... Knock on wood.

Aquattro
01-03-2013, 05:27 AM
Don't do it Brad. Inherited one from my son's tank after the fish almost totalled his SPC ate the mouth out of prized acan and also other LPS and nipped on the clams.
I have softies.

Old thread Wayne, it's been in the tank behaving itself for a while now. :) However, should it become a problem, I am prepared to catch him. I'm getting good at draining my tank to get fish out -lol