PDA

View Full Version : SPS Bleached

Nano
03-16-2012, 11:42 PM
So my first sps bleached.. :sad: any Ideas why? Params are spot on, lighting is the exact same as the tank it came from.. its in high flow... not sure what happened here.. $30 down the tube..

fishytime
03-16-2012, 11:46 PM
dont give up on it yet....SPS can come back from being bleached ....as long as it still has tissue and polyps its still alive......how long has it been in your tank?

Nano
03-16-2012, 11:49 PM
No polyps I can see the whole frag is white. It's been in there almost 2 weeks and then today boom. Bleached.

NU-2reef
03-16-2012, 11:52 PM
Sounds like RTN rapid tissue necrosis

reefwars
03-16-2012, 11:55 PM
how did the monticap do for you??

Nano
03-16-2012, 11:57 PM
Does that have anything to do with it being fragged the day I bought it?

Nano
03-17-2012, 12:02 AM
how did the monticap do for you??

The monticap is doing great even the small frag that was slightly bleached Is coming back.

NU-2reef
03-17-2012, 12:07 AM
Could be, RTN tends to be a product of stress to the acro. There are many ways we can stress the coral so targeting the cause can be difficult. I only buy healed frags personally.

badAZZlars
03-17-2012, 12:08 AM
Does that have anything to do with it being fragged the day I bought it?

No getting a fresh cut frag shouldn't matter as long as the params in your tank are ok. I actually prefer fresh cut frags when I get them from others.

Aquattro
03-17-2012, 12:13 AM
No getting a fresh cut frag shouldn't matter as long as the params in your tank are ok. I actually prefer fresh cut frags when I get them from others.

Agreed.

daniella3d
03-17-2012, 03:28 AM
you say your parameters are spot on, but how do they compare to the tank the frag came from? you may have your alkalinity at 10 and think it's spot on, but the other tank was at 7.

What are your parameters compares to the tank it come from?

Nano
03-17-2012, 03:33 AM
well I dont know about the params in the other tank, it was from RC in edmonton, so I'd assume the params were good, but I couldnt be precise on the numbers :lol:

but mine are
ph 8.2
CA (low) 320-340
Alk 11
nitrates and nitrites 0
ammonia is 0
phosphates 0
dont know about my magnesium, but I know it has been lower around 1095 in the past.
Salinity is 1.025-1.026

edit, guess they arent "spot on" since my CA is a bit low, and mag is most likely low as well, it usually has been. I have some Reef advantage Calcium(Seachem) that buffers ph and Mag, and Strontium

Nano
03-17-2012, 03:56 AM
Looks done for!:lol: might still be a single polyp but not counting on it. damn what a bummer my first sps frag ever :sad:http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h401/thehobdenmarina/DSCN2995.jpg

daniella3d
03-17-2012, 04:11 AM
Alkalinity at 11 is too high. It could be ok but it could also cause a lot of RTN and STN if your level of nutriment is low and juging from your test, you have low nutriment.

You should keep your alkalinity at 8 or around 8, not more than this when you have no amount of nitrates and phosphates detectible.

I think this is your problem and why your SPS bleached, alkalinity shock with low nutriment system.

I could be wrong, but this is my guess, also your calcium is far from being spot on, and this also could be a problem, as well as the low mag.

I would try to keep the alkalinity lower though.

You should rise your magnesium before attempting to rise your calcium because no matter what amount of calcium you put in there, it won't rise if your magnesium is that low. First raise your magnesium to 1300 or a bit more, then rise your calcium to 420, then try to lower the alkalinity to 8 and you should be able to keep SPS no problem.

well I dont know about the params in the other tank, it was from RC in edmonton, so I'd assume the params were good, but I couldnt be precise on the numbers :lol:

but mine are
ph 8.2
CA (low) 320-340
Alk 11
nitrates and nitrites 0
ammonia is 0
phosphates 0
dont know about my magnesium, but I know it has been lower around 1095 in the past.
Salinity is 1.025-1.026

edit, guess they arent "spot on" since my CA is a bit low, and mag is most likely low as well, it usually has been. I have some Reef advantage Calcium(Seachem) that buffers ph and Mag, and Strontium

reefwars
03-17-2012, 04:16 AM
Looks done for!:lol: might still be a single polyp but not counting on it. damn what a bummer my first sps frag ever :sad:http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h401/thehobdenmarina/DSCN2995.jpg

monticap is sps my friend and its doing fine so dont get yourself down yet stick with easy sps untill your tank matures:):)

Nano
03-17-2012, 04:17 AM
so by raising my calcium my alk should go down? my wallet is tapped ATM but I got caclium/Mag buffer combined its by seachem.

Nano
03-17-2012, 04:20 AM
monticap is sps my friend and its doing fine so dont get yourself down yet stick with easy sps untill your tank matures:):)

thats the weird thing.. The monticap has actually seen some noticable growth in a short time. not huge but in comparing pictures, its changed. and the one you gave me(you know the small bleaching piece) is back 100%.. its so weird! I also added some bright red monti and same thing its doing great. my sps, is also quite low in the tank. but my tank isnt to deep, my alk is def. to high. hopefully I can get things undder control

fishytime
03-17-2012, 05:10 AM
ya that frag looks like its pretty much toast.....like Denny said, your tank is still fairly new...stick with montis, and birdsnests.....maybe a milli.... these SPS are quite a bit more forgiving then most SPS and are great corals for the ego.....place them a little lower in the tank(save the uppermost prime spots for more light thirsty SPS) and see how they do.....after a couple monthes your tank may better accomodate some of the harder to keep SPS....

Ca, Mg and Alk form what they call the "big three"......if one or more of those numbers is off it makes maintaining the other parameters very difficult....my advice if you want to test and dose and do things by the book would be to pick up a Mg test and have all three additives......it sucks to begin with, testing and testing and then testing some more to figure out where your at and what your tank is consuming, but after you've got it dialed in, half the battle with SPS is won.................

.............or you could just do what I do and dont test or dose a thing:mrgreen:

tang daddy
03-17-2012, 11:59 AM
even experienced reefers can lose sps without any notice, I aquired a stable and starting to encrust australian Ice fire echinata that just died mysteriously in one day after being in my tank for 3 weeks.....

I know how you feel, however as others have said stick to the montis and millies for now and once the tank settles down maybe try slimer stags oand keep moving up to the more delicate species.

Good luck!

Aquattro
03-17-2012, 01:41 PM
If you can remove it from the tank, smell it. If it has that acro smell, it's still alive and can come back. I've had frags go completely white for months, then suddenly color up.
Alk is also not likely the issue, I run a really low nutrient (as opposed to nutriment?) tank with alk around 14 (not on purpose, it just likes to sit that high). I don't have any bleached acros.
As others have said, sometimes frags just do this just to be annoying. You could add a second frag right beside it that does fine. Grab a couple of test frags from someone and see what happens. If they bleach too, then look for a problem. But don't get all worked up over one frag, it's probably just bad luck.
Low Ca will inhibit growth, but not likely to bleach a frag. Best guess on this one was just stress of moving. If it still has tissue (you'll smell it), then it's got a good chance to recover.

daniella3d
03-17-2012, 01:48 PM
How come your alkalinity is so high? Are you dosing something for alkalinity? what type of salt are you using?

You just have to keep in mind that with very low level of nutriment it is a risk to have RTN or STN when you have such high alkalinity. It is not safe to keep your alkalinity so high.

First step is to raise your magnesium and calcium slowly, but don't dose anything for alkalinity until it drop lower. If you don't have much in coral it may take a while before your current alkalinity level drop.

But before buying any delicate SPS I would get these value: calcium 420, magnesium 1350, alkalinity 8. Then try to keep this stable and you will be fine.

so by raising my calcium my alk should go down? my wallet is tapped ATM but I got caclium/Mag buffer combined its by seachem.

Aquattro
03-17-2012, 01:56 PM
How come your alkalinity is so high? Are you dosing something for alkalinity? what type of salt are you using?

You just have to keep in mind that with very low level of nutriment it is a risk to have RTN or STN when you have such high alkalinity. It is not safe to keep your alkalinity so high.

It's high just for fun, as far as I can tell. It's always been high. I even run zeo and have very little nutrient. I supplement with a Ca reactor and use RBS salt. It's been like that for 16 months, so I'm not too worried about the perceived dangers of high alk. I did read on the Internet that it's bad, but you can't believe everything on the Internet. Nasty place, that Internet.
Only RTN I've had was yesterday, and that probably had a lot to do with the frag falling into my torch coral :)

Myka
03-17-2012, 02:00 PM
Your tank is still in its infant days and so are you as far as reef keeping goes, so losing some SPS (especially stag-type) isn't unlikely. I think you should focus on the fact that you're able to keep Monti cap so far, and be happy about that achievement. Going from Montis to Birdnest would probably be a better way to progress rather than jumping straight to stags.

Btw, your nutrients are undetectable, but it depends on what type of test kits you are using. There are more sensitive kits out there particularly for phosphate (Elos has one, D-D Merck has one). What kits are you using? Low nutrients is not a problem for SPS, rather a good thing. Ultra low nutrients (aka ULN) could be an issue for some SPS (definitely an issue for LPS and softies) and you actually can starve them, but you would need to be carbon dosing in order to achieve ultra low nutrients.

People commonly keep SPS in tanks with alkalinity ranging from 7-12 dKH, although 8-10 dKH is more common. Brad's a bit "abnormal" (hahahaha) at 14 dKH, but if he says that's where it likes to sit then sometimes it's not worth fighting things. Higher alkalinity has some bonuses, like helping to keep many algae at bay. Keep in mind though that calcium and alkalinity should compliment each other, so if alkalinity is high calcium should be high too. If you check the link in my signature that mentions parameters I posted a chart that explains the appropriate, complimenting levels.

As far as terminology goes, "bleaching" is usually a slow process where a color gets more and more pastel. RTN is rapid tissue necrosis which is something that usually happens overnight, and almost always starts at the base and goes up. If you catch RTN in the middle of the event you will see the skin falling off the coral in little pieces (sometimes fairly big pieces). STN is slow tissue necrosis which happens over several weeks or several months and can start at the base or the tips. You won't see the tissue falling off because it is going so slowly that the tissue just dissolves unnoticed.

Aquattro
03-17-2012, 02:06 PM
But before buying any delicate SPS I would get these value: calcium 420, magnesium 1350, alkalinity 8. Then try to keep this stable and you will be fine.

While I agree that these are wonderful numbers to GROW SPS, I don't think they're required to keep it alive as a freshly introduced frag. Maybe long term, the stress of not growing might tick it off a bit, but not bleach it in a couple of days.

Now, that being said, there's a lot of advantage in maintaining proper growing levels at all times. I would work on that routine before worrying about adding SPS.

reefwars
03-17-2012, 02:07 PM
im not anal over my parameters these days the way i see it is all my corals are doing well both sps and lps , im doing regular water changes equipment is good so why fix it if its working well.

even with high " nutriments" my sps are doing well i would also second that it was prob a acclimation issue of just not taking the move well give it another try:)

daniella3d
03-17-2012, 03:43 PM
huh...I was talking to nanomano, not to you. You know the risk of running with high alkalinity and low nutriment, then you do what you want :)

I know it's all over the net but I beleive it because I have very experienced people telling me about it and I do beleive them because some of them have 30 years of experience in saltwater and a lot of them with corals.

I also know a lot of people who did have RTN and STN all the time running alkalinity higher than 10 with low nutriment, and that resolved when they lower the alkalinity.

You might just be lucky :) It is a risk, so once people know about it, they do what they want.

It's high just for fun, as far as I can tell. It's always been high. I even run zeo and have very little nutrient. I supplement with a Ca reactor and use RBS salt. It's been like that for 16 months, so I'm not too worried about the perceived dangers of high alk. I did read on the Internet that it's bad, but you can't believe everything on the Internet. Nasty place, that Internet.
Only RTN I've had was yesterday, and that probably had a lot to do with the frag falling into my torch coral :)

Nano
03-17-2012, 04:00 PM
huh...I was talking to nanomano, not to you. You know the risk of running with high alkalinity and low nutriment, then you do what you want :)

I know it's all over the net but I beleive it because I have very experienced people telling me about it and I do beleive them because some of them have 30 years of experience in saltwater and a lot of them with corals.

I also know a lot of people who did have RTN and STN all the time running alkalinity higher than 10 with low nutriment, and that resolved when they lower the alkalinity.

You might just be lucky :) It is a risk, so once people know about it, they do what they want.

:lol: wow I went to bed and you guys have taught me a lot here! not to sure why the alk is high, it always has been, with lower CA. hopefully it balances out

MMAX
03-17-2012, 04:01 PM
Now now daniella, no need to get worked up.

daniella3d
03-17-2012, 04:02 PM
Here is a thread on Reef Central where people discus the effect of high alkalinity with different setup. It is interesting to read about all these people experiences:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1297225

:lol: wow I went to bed and you guys have taught me a lot here! not to sure why the alk is high, it always has been, with lower CA. hopefully it balances out

Myka
03-17-2012, 04:06 PM
Daniella is right about low nutrients and high alkalinity, but that is more of an issue with ultra low nutrients when carbon dosing. That's why you see Zeovit recommending 7 dKH.

For the newbies, carbon dosing is not the carbon you put in the filter. :)

Aquattro
03-17-2012, 04:09 PM
huh...I was talking to nanomano, not to you.

That hurts....:razz:

daniella3d
03-17-2012, 05:10 PM
sorry I was just trying to correct a misunderstanding, not to be rude :)

I know I often sound rude, just not intentional! :redface:

That hurts....:razz:

Nano
03-17-2012, 05:42 PM
so today everything in my tank looks p*ssed at me. inverts and fish are all fine, but here are my params after dosing a small amount of CA to the tank yesterday.

nitrates and nitrites 0
ammonia 0
phos 0
CA 440 <finally..
KH(alk) 13? mind you in my old tank it was 17dkh and everything was fine
ph 8.2
Salinity 1.026

nothing is open it my tank for polyps today... I added carbon and chemipure elite yesterday, but just a small amount. any Ideas? aside from the Alk, I know its high, but like I said it always has been high with no major concerns on the corals behalf

Myka
03-17-2012, 05:49 PM
It wasn't Kent carbon was it?

You didn't answer which test kit brands you are using either...

Nano
03-17-2012, 05:53 PM
It wasn't Kent carbon was it?

You didn't answer which test kit brands you are using either...

API test kits as well as ELOS and yeah its kent, is that bad??

Aquattro
03-17-2012, 06:01 PM
yeah its kent, is that bad??

Yes. Remove it now, then search for the recent thread on the contaminated Kent carbon

Nano
03-17-2012, 06:03 PM
I was just doing that actually. Dangit. Now I have to return it to big als. any suggestions for what to do? I took it out, should I change some water??

Myka
03-17-2012, 06:04 PM
I would change 75% of the water pronto. Hopefully you have some made up already. Crap!!! Another victim. :(

What brand kits for the phosphate and nitrate?

Nano
03-17-2012, 06:09 PM
API and Elos

no water made up. no reefers near by, looks like I'll get started. now I'm ticked lol

RedCoralEdmonton
03-17-2012, 06:10 PM
Just for reference, the params of the tank that SPS came from are 7.93 DkH - Hanna, 460 CA - Hanna, and 1500 MG - Salifert.

Steve

Myka
03-17-2012, 06:13 PM
API and Elos

no water made up. no reefers near by, looks like I'll get started. now I'm ticked lol

Since you don't have aged water, don't change 75% then, stick to 50% because freshly mixed saltwater is harsh (but so are heavy metals in the contaminated carbon ack). Get more water mixing up and once it has been mixing for 24 hours do another 50-75% waterchange. If you can get a Boyd Poly Filter pad today, DO IT. Poly Filter will help to remove heavy metals.

Nano
03-17-2012, 06:20 PM
Just for reference, the params of the tank that SPS came from are 7.93 DkH - Hanna, 460 CA - Hanna, and 1500 MG - Salifert.

Steve

Thanks Steve! Yup mine were quite a bit different ;)

water is mixing, going to leave it for 30 minutes the change 5g, then another 5g later and so on, as thats all I have for a bucket..

Myka
03-17-2012, 06:26 PM
Actually, before totally panicking you should probably check the batch number on the container of Kent Carbon. There is a list in the recall thread I just posted. If it is indeed one of the affected batches you should raise quite a stink with Big Al's because they should have received the recall letter weeks ago and should not have any of the affected carbon on their shelves.

Mandosh
03-17-2012, 06:28 PM
Actually, before totally panicking you should probably check the batch number on the container of Kent Carbon.

Was just about to suggest that...

Nano
03-17-2012, 06:32 PM
Batch is EXC6OCT14 so apparently before the recall.. I called big als and they told me all this carbon is new, but obviously OCTOBER has long since past..

Nano
03-17-2012, 06:34 PM
also cant find the thread on here. I googled the recall dates and it was dec-mid feb, but I'm sure october would have been affected too

Mandosh
03-17-2012, 06:40 PM
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=84323

October batches are fine.

Nano
03-17-2012, 06:44 PM
October batches are fine.

:lol: apparently not! ;) so I borrowed a 10g pail from my neighbour. lucky me! Mixing more water. poor corals and fish.. DAMN YOU KENT! :twised:

Myka
03-17-2012, 07:01 PM
No, I think it is a false alarm. A waterchange definitely wouldn't hurt, but I don't think you have contaminated carbon. You could always send an email to Kent and ask "Are you sure EXC6OCT14 isn't affected?"

Nano
03-17-2012, 07:04 PM
thanks Myka, and everyone for the help! Hopefully the water changes set things straight. I hope my montis have enough left to come back, everything is just shriveled up right now.. :( FIngers crossed!

fishytime
03-17-2012, 08:12 PM
If the date on the bottom wasnt listed in the recall then I can pretty much guarantee that your issue isnt related to kent carbon.....if your still in doubt then take a magnet and place it in your carbon container.....if there are any heavy metals in the carbon it will stick to the magnet......FWIW Ive been using kent carbon for years....

Nano
03-17-2012, 08:21 PM
but why would everything just suddenly bleach? I have 3 dead snails now and my shrimp is a goner to.. might just sell the tank at this point..

Nano
03-17-2012, 08:22 PM
I can afford to keep putting money into it and having things die. some one said a while back that they thought I would get out of the hobby soon. might be right

Nano
03-17-2012, 08:35 PM
now the hammer coral and frogspawn, and ricordea mouths are all wide open. still no corals open. still waiting on water to mixed and heat up....

Anyone want this tank let me know.

Myka
03-17-2012, 09:16 PM
Like Doug, I have also been using the Kent Carbon for years. Sometimes poop happens.

In regards to what is going on now, it really does sound like the same symptoms as the contaminated carbon, but it "can't" be. Hmm...definitely keep with the plan on the waterchange. Fwiw, I keep a 65 gallon drum of RODI water and a 20 gallon tub of saltwater on hand all the time just in case of problems like this. Many times if there is something significant and bad going on in the tank a large waterchange can really help to alleviate the trouble.

Don't give up yet! Pretty much every experienced reefer on here has had a major setback at some time or another. In my first few years I had not one, but two tanks crash due to faulty heaters getting stuck on. I learned from the first experience to buy a better brand of heater. From the second experience I learned to use two small heaters rather than one big one. 15 years later I haven't cooked another tank (touch wood). The trouble is that there is often a lot of money tied up in these reef tanks (usually relative to a person's income). My best advice is "don't spend more than you can afford to lose". This is a hobby and therefore it is also a luxury that we don't need to spend money on. Decide on a budget and stick to it. The pressure will then be off your shoulders and you will be able to appreciate your tank more. I also advise to not bite off more than you can chew (like buying stags for example).

reefwars
03-17-2012, 09:24 PM
dont quit buddy , just take a breath and listen to me, your doing to much , think about it you noticed a small problem that wasnt a problem , you rectified the problem(which doesnt exist) since there was no problem now youve upset the balance of your already fragile system my advice do your water changes and relax. losing a few corals in your first setup is nothing alot of us including myself have lost full systems the trick is knowing that success isnt easy and expecting the worst before it happens is being prepared:P

biggest and hardest lesson is keep it simple in your case right now its water changes and get things back to routine, consistency and maturity are the key.

if i were you i would do some water changes add nothing and monitor..... after stability comes back i would look into gettng some birdsnest or pocci as my first sps frag:)

cheers buddy and good luck any questions just shoot i would be glad to help any way:)

stop buying beginner frags at lfs those should be free from reefers then once you know you can do it go buy the stuff you want to have:):)

Nano
03-17-2012, 09:31 PM
Thanks myka. And i know. I'm just frustrated. I'm waiting for the part where I get to sit back and look at the tank and say, wow look at what I have made. You know? But i am no where near there and seeing a set back like this just makes me think I won't see it anytime soon you know?

Nano
03-17-2012, 09:35 PM
And thanks to Denny too. I think I'm going t stay away from sps for now. My kontis look bleached but maybe they can come back. Should i take out ky chemipure elite too? I haven't heard anything bad about it yet. Maybe the calcium was the thing that bunged up my system. I just hope my 22 zoa frags are ok LOL. Lots of nice zoos there.

reefwars
03-17-2012, 09:36 PM
Thanks myka. And i know. I'm just frustrated. I'm waiting for the part where I get to sit back and look at the tank and say, wow look at what I have made. You know? But i am no where near there and seeing a set back like this just makes me think I won't see it anytime soon you know?

kenny if you want the security of adding the things without worrying about if it will survive then play the patience game , pretend your tank doesnt exist for a month or 2 just do water changes and keep the livestock happy, as your tank matures and if its left alone to grow it will be able to handle alot more:)

whats the biggest concern you have right now with your tank??:):)

reefwars
03-17-2012, 09:38 PM
And thanks to Denny too. I think I'm going t stay away from sps for now. My kontis look bleached but maybe they can come back. Should i take out ky chemipure elite too? I haven't heard anything bad about it yet. Maybe the calcium was the thing that bunged up my system. I just hope my 22 zoa frags are ok LOL. Lots of nice zoos there.

smart move buddy just let it grow if conditions are right the montis will come back within a week or two.

chemipure should be fine:)

remember new tanks dont take to changes very well especially a bunch of small ones like ...new carbon,large water changes,calcium additives etc....when it rarely ever sees these things anyways......stability first.....additives second:)

Nano
03-17-2012, 09:41 PM
My biggest concern is not screwing it up anymore so I can get my tank looking as good as all of yours

reefwars
03-17-2012, 09:47 PM
My biggest concern is not screwing it up anymore so I can get my tank looking as good as all of yours

buddy my tanks a dive lol im debating on giving it away to the next poster:P:P

Nano
03-17-2012, 09:49 PM
I dunno I loved your tank. Special that giant carpet nem

reefwars
03-17-2012, 09:52 PM
I dunno I loved your tank. Special that giant carpet nem

there ya go lesson learned we are all our own worst critics cause i love your tank i think your off to a great start with lots of potential,just dont quit before tyou have a chance to see it:):)

reefwars
03-17-2012, 09:52 PM
want a carpet lol:P

Nano
03-17-2012, 09:53 PM
Nahh I know. I just hate killing things. Like my new shrimp LOL poor guy.

reefwars
03-17-2012, 09:57 PM
Nahh I know. I just hate killing things. Like my new shrimp LOL poor guy.

ive been reefing since i was 19 im now 30 in may.......my death list is prob about 4 canreef pages long...trust me your doing good:)

i hate to kill things too.....all the more reason to get free testers off reefers cheaper and not a big deal if you lose it it isnt wild caught:):)

Coralgurl
03-17-2012, 10:12 PM
Wow, sorry to read this thread and your struggles Nano! I'm also thankful for you posting, as it's extremely informative, loads of info lots of reefers can use! Don't give up, your new tank has become one of my favorites, it's too nice and you've worked too hard to get this one going! I know mine can be better too and can't wait for this and that, but I do sit in front if it now and think, hey this is pretty freaking cool the way it is, even with the diatoms and I'm sure there's an algae outbreak coming....:lol:

Nano
03-17-2012, 10:18 PM
Thanks coral I appreciate that. It's just frustrating is all.

Coralgurl
03-17-2012, 10:59 PM
Yup, but you've mastered taking photos of your tank and corals and have some wicked cool shots, I still can't get a decent pic since I transferred my tank and that's frustrating!!

I don't like things dying either, been ok with corals, not so much with fish, so just taking things slowly and always researching! I've got a couple simple sps, one that was bleached but still had polyps, so I moved it to the sand and it's got great color now after a few months, but i've lost about 5 other frags.

reefgirl189
03-17-2012, 11:12 PM
Hey nano if it's any consolation I think we are in the same spot with our learning curve give or take a few points and I just bleached one of my first SPS too.

Like you I got a monti cap, and he's fine. Also have a birdnest, and he's doing okay too. The third guy (can't remember the name), wasn't in the tank for 3 hours and he went white on me. I think he died to warn me that I'm being too impatient. My tank's only a few months old after all, just like yours.

The beautiful pics up on this site that we see look so great but the owners are very quick to tell you that Rome wasn't built in a day and they've spent hundreds of dollars and hundreds of hours to make their set ups look so good. I bet there's not a single person on this forum that hasn't accidently killed a coral by inexperience or a simple mistake. Don't beat up yourself over it! And don't give your tank away either (unless it's to me :mrgreen:!)

daniella3d
03-18-2012, 03:36 AM
NOPE... mine was definitly contaminated and it WAS NOT in the batch they recalled.

So anyone using Kent carbon recently bought should return it no matter what because it still might be contaminated despited them not issuing a recall!

Here is their reply when I asked them why my carbon was not in the recall:

"They could only test batches that they had samples for. That is why we are asking for samples from batches that we have not been able to test."

So they only did a recall in the carbon they tested, that's all. Anyone having some bad reaction with their corals after adding Kent carbon should remove it immediatly, then do a large water change and add some Polyfilter to filter out the copper and nickel which were the heavy metals contaminants in my batch of carbon.

Actually, before totally panicking you should probably check the batch number on the container of Kent Carbon. There is a list in the recall thread I just posted. If it is indeed one of the affected batches you should raise quite a stink with Big Al's because they should have received the recall letter weeks ago and should not have any of the affected carbon on their shelves.

daniella3d
03-18-2012, 03:39 AM
NO NO and NO. They only recalled what they tested for! any batch of Kent carbon could be contaminated.

So do not garantee something like that!

I have a professional laboratory analysis of my carbon to prove this and my carbon was not in that list, yet it was very much contaminated.

What is that magnet going to do??? does copper attach to magnet????? I don't think so.

If the date on the bottom wasnt listed in the recall then I can pretty much guarantee that your issue isnt related to kent carbon.....if your still in doubt then take a magnet and place it in your carbon container.....if there are any heavy metals in the carbon it will stick to the magnet......FWIW Ive been using kent carbon for years....

Nano
03-18-2012, 03:50 AM
so it is a possibility that the carbon is the culprit, but not 100% closed case. at any rate it is out of the tank, I am doing water changes, and hope the corals turn around and open up in a day or 2. But still waiting to see if it solves anything, I also think adding carbon may have just added to it, so it could be a combination of 2 things

Myka
03-18-2012, 03:52 AM
Wow, that is very interesting Daniella, thanks for sharing that.

Did you get a waterchange done Nano? How is everything looking?

Nano
03-18-2012, 03:56 AM
Wow, that is very interesting Daniella, thanks for sharing that.

Did you get a waterchange done Nano? How is everything looking?

yes 25% everything is still mad at me but I have some filter floss as well to hopefuly help out a bit

fishytime
03-18-2012, 04:37 AM
yes yes and yes......Ive seen a contaminated batch of kent carbon sticking to a magnet......I would like to see this professional laboratory analysis of your kent carbon......that must have cost a pretty penny to have your carbon tested like that....

Myka
03-18-2012, 04:41 AM
Nano, the filter floss isn't likely to help. The Boyd Poly-Filter isn't typical filter floss...it is very good at absorbing heavy metals. It claims to do other things, but it is best known for its heavy metal absorbancy.

Here ya go Doug...

I got the result from my water analysis.

I got my water analyzed by a professional lab and the result show an abnormal concentration for copper especially.

The column named Daniella is my current aquarium water after 7 water changes and addition of polyfilter for a few days. The colum named "charbon" (carbon) is the result of analysing the water that come from a clean food grade container that had one gallon of water with 1/4 cup of well rinsed Kent Reef carbon running for 10 hours. I had put about one cup in my aquarium.

The result of 346 ug/l translate to .346 mg/l of copper, way too much and the reason why my corals died and bleached.

I guess this proof that more carbon than what they have in their recall list is affected since the expiration date on my container is EX21NO14, which is not in the list.

Magnaneese and kicket released is also a bit high with this carbon, but it is the copper that is to blame for the coral death. I am going to send a sample of the carbon and this lab result to Kent tomorrow.

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy143/daniella3ds/carbon.jpg

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=687169&postcount=87

Nano
03-18-2012, 04:47 AM
yes yes and yes......Ive seen a contaminated batch of kent carbon sticking to a magnet......I would like to see this professional laboratory analysis of your kent carbon......that must have cost a pretty penny to have your carbon tested like that....

Ask and you shall receive. :wink:

Nano
03-18-2012, 04:51 PM
So I did another 10g WC today, and have another 15g for later maybe tuesday. There are a few zoo's peeking out now which is nice to see. I think I might have 2 snails that survived. LPS still looks mad though. maybe later in the day or tomorrow will hold a different tale