PDA

View Full Version : Just using Purigen?

nozwal
03-15-2012, 11:25 PM
Hi I was wondering in a 30 gallon tank is it ok to just run seachem Purigen without carbon? I heard of some people just using purigen instead of carbon for filtration. is it better to use just purigen or seachem carbon? and do you need a reactor for purigen or could just use a media bag? tnx

Reef Supplies
03-15-2012, 11:34 PM
Good product but may remove differnt organics then carbon. If I had the choice to use 1, id use carbon BUT if you really want to use purigen why not use both? Id go with 75% carbon and 25% purigen - 3 to 1.

happy reefing
Ray

nozwal
03-15-2012, 11:41 PM
i ask this because from the seachem site under FAQ for thier carbon it said this

"Matrix Carbon is an aggressive media and will have a minimal impact on trace elements. For this reason, you may want to consider Purigen. Purigen is an aggressive organic scavenging resin that is very selective in what it removes. It only wants nitrogenous organic material. This product also polishes water and is regenerable making it more cost effective in the long run."

so im not sure if its better to use purigen, carbon, or both like you said

Madmak
03-16-2012, 12:26 AM
In my nano I run Purigen, straight carbon, and Chemi-Pure. Second chamber is a mini fuge and third is a mini-skimmer and return.

I like the effect of all 3 medias together.

spawn
03-16-2012, 01:03 AM
In my nano I run Purigen, straight carbon, and Chemi-Pure. Second chamber is a mini fuge and third is a mini-skimmer and return.

I like the effect of all 3 medias together.
+1, & I'm too lazy to regenerate the purigen, after 5 or 6 months I just throw it away & change it. It's only like $25 so not worth the time to bother.IMO

The Guy
03-16-2012, 10:52 AM
I've been using purigen for couple of years now in all my canisters, i don't use carbon at all any more, It's a PITA having to change carbon monthly. I like the fact you can regenerate purigen with bleach to new condition several times before you have to replace it. I would say forget the carbon and just use purigen. IMO