PDA

View Full Version : Nano Clown Fish in Calgary

ruslicus
03-14-2012, 07:12 PM
Hi

Have a Nano 7g tank and looking to get a small nano clown fish. The tank is over a month and it's been cycled. Have Zoa and Acan in tank only.

If anyone wants to donate to newbie :) or sell it please let me know.

Thank you.

Flash
03-14-2012, 07:32 PM
no such thing as a nano clown. I'm sure you can go buy a baby one for $20.

ruslicus
03-14-2012, 07:38 PM
I was trying to say small size fish or as you have mentioned baby fish. Called Big Al's and Red Coral and they have bigger size that might be too small tank for them. any ideas where I can find?

no such thing as a nano clown. I'm sure you can go buy a baby one for $20.

Flash
03-14-2012, 07:43 PM
i have two clowns in an 8gl bio-cube.... you can try golds if they are around there.... never been to any of the calgary stores... but i am sure someone from calgary will chime in!!

parkinsn
03-14-2012, 08:02 PM
Golds might don't think so at the moment though, or Ocean Creations (Ocean City)

If all else fails there is these guys as well. Not that I would highly recommend them.

Wai's, Pieces, Riverfront

parkinsn
03-14-2012, 08:03 PM
Keep in mind that Golds is closed on thursdays as well for cleaning.

ruslicus
03-14-2012, 08:04 PM
Thx. I was at Gold and didn't see any clowns at all. Will try Ocean City.

Keep in mind that Golds is closed on thursdays as well for cleaning.

Money pit
03-14-2012, 08:28 PM
Google clown goby, see if you like them. they come for sale occasionally.

Flash
03-14-2012, 08:30 PM
clown gobies are coool!! the watermelon ones or the war paint! get one of each!!! and a shrimp! lol!

ruslicus
03-14-2012, 08:34 PM
Well goby is cool but was thinking to get a baby yellowtail damsel with clown fish. to bring more color to the tank.

Flash
03-14-2012, 08:35 PM
they do get big though.... clown goby's stay small!

parkinsn
03-14-2012, 08:37 PM
Google clown goby, see if you like them. they come for sale occasionally.

I would not recommend. For a few reason's.

1. Reef safe with caution.
2. They like to live in SPS.
3. They like to eat SPS polyps and other small polyps. However they will accept other foods.
4. Very territorial.

RDNanoGuy
03-14-2012, 08:39 PM
Kevin @ RC has a whole whack of locally raised baby clowns in right now.

Magma
03-14-2012, 09:04 PM
Kevin @ RC has a whole whack of locally raised baby clowns in right now.

^ This

They are smaller but great colours I was temped to grab a few yesterday

globaldesigns
03-14-2012, 09:36 PM
Actually I was at Red Coral yesterday, he has a tonne of them... Many small too. Take a trip and visit him.

ruslicus
03-15-2012, 04:23 PM
Thank you guys. I was at Red Coral and purchased a tiny Local Tank raise Clown Fish. I've got some frozen food and tried to feed him yesterday but he didn't eat. Does it take a while until he starts to eat. I've got a very small Yellow-tail Damsel who was very shy yesterday but this morning he came up to the front, still shy. What is recommendation how often to feed them, do not overfeed since it is very small tank, don't want ammonia spike due to overfeeding. Thank you

parkinsn
03-15-2012, 04:36 PM
I never try to feed a fish the first day I get one. They go from a tank, to a bag, to bouncing around in your car, to your drip/acclimation process, to your tank. Thats a lot of stress in a few hours. If I happen to be feeding my other fish and the new one eats great. Don't over feed forsure in a small tank like that. A few smaller feedings is better than one big feed. Feed as much as they eat before it hits the bottom. Fish that size, a few pellets or shrimp a couple times a day is lots.

ruslicus
03-15-2012, 04:44 PM
I don't have other fish, should I wait one more day before I try to feed them?

I never try to feed a fish the first day I get one. They go from a tank, to a bag, to bouncing around in your car, to your drip/acclimation process, to your tank. Thats a lot of stress in a few hours. If I happen to be feeding my other fish and the new one eats great. Don't over feed forsure in a small tank like that. A few smaller feedings is better than one big feed. Feed as much as they eat before it hits the bottom. Fish that size, a few pellets or shrimp a couple times a day is lots.

parkinsn
03-15-2012, 05:15 PM
Throw one or 2 pellets in and see what happens. Feeding frozen in really small quantities is tough. Also make sure you rinse the frozen before you put it in. Soak it in water and rinse it through a net before you feed it.

MinPhase
03-15-2012, 06:30 PM
Also make sure you rinse the frozen before you put it in. Soak it in water and rinse it through a net before you feed it.

I've read this somewhere but I've never gotten a straight answer as to why you should do this.

ruslicus
03-15-2012, 06:32 PM
Yeap I know I should rinse it just to remove everything which is not food. Thx for your help.

parkinsn
03-15-2012, 09:57 PM
I've read this somewhere but I've never gotten a straight answer as to why you should do this.

There is a bunch of left over crap in the water. It just adds to the pollution of your tank. Not sure if its just the water they use to package or what it is.

Try thawing food and dumping it in your tank, you can see the "cloud" before it mixes in. Then do the same thing after you rinse it. You will see why you should rinse it.

MinPhase
03-15-2012, 10:29 PM
There is a bunch of left over crap in the water. It just adds to the pollution of your tank. Not sure if its just the water they use to package or what it is.

Try thawing food and dumping it in your tank, you can see the "cloud" before it mixes in. Then do the same thing after you rinse it. You will see why you should rinse it.

Is the crap not beneficial for suspended particle filter feeders?

-=James=-
03-15-2012, 11:04 PM
I never rinse my food.

Heres a couple posts from Randy Holmes-Farley off RC

With respect to phosphate, it is a waste of time. That's my primary point. I'm not sure if rinsing does any harm, but you could at least imagine that you are also washing away vitamins and other ingredients that might be added into the foods.

With respect to fine solid bits, I would say that I'm feeding many types of creatures, not just the fish. Corals, crabs, shrimp, anemones, ...

I thaw mine in a cup of tank water and break it up a bit (things like frozen Prime Reef), and then pour in the whole cup, or in the case of mysis, I thaw in a cup and feed with a pipette because I want my Chelmon marginalis to get more than his share of the mysis.

For refrigerated things things like Arctipods, I dose them with a pump using the whole solution they come in.

OK, let's say you have 1 mL of water at 2 ppm phosphate.

Add that to a 100 gallon tank, and the addition boosts phosphate by 0.00001 ppm. Its the big dilution factor that is the thing people misunderstand.

Also, for comparison, the TOTAL phosphate in a cube of frozen food is on the order of 3,000-10,000 ppm. Removing an mL or two of 2 ppm phosphate water is just totally lost in the noise of that huge addition.

So IMO, folks are wasting their time rinsing foods. Its like trying to save your house from a hurricane by standing in front of it to block the wind.

fishytime
03-15-2012, 11:10 PM
well thats all fine and dandy that RHF's tank can handle the extra nutrients.....many people's tanks cant handle the extra nutrients.. either due to bioload or perhaps other supplementary feeding, such as corals or nems etc....and I would venture to guess the the OP's 7g skimmerless(Im assuming) tank might fall into the category of less nutrients is better:wink:

MMAX
03-16-2012, 11:55 AM
You may have a war on your hands with a clown and a yellowtail damsel together in a 7gal tank.

shotcaller
03-16-2012, 04:15 PM
I had a yellow tail damsel in a 55 gallon and got super aggressive towards tank mates i had to remove him so I would be cautious

ruslicus
03-16-2012, 04:24 PM
Thank you guys for advice. I would agree about too much phosphate because it is very small skimmer-less tank and I will try to keep it as long as possible. Eventually I will upgrade to bigger one, but I want to make sure I understand everything before spending lots of $$$ for bigger tank.

SO it is 3rd day for my clown fish and Yellowtail. Clown fish is chasing around by the glass and I think he is not accommodated yet, at least he doesn't eat yet which is my concern. What if he doesn't eat for next couple of days - can he die? Yellow tail looks like is very fine, started to eat but I didn't notice any aggression. They both swim together sometimes. Another thing I've noticed they don't hide in rocks. Clown is in the top of the tank swimming by the glass, but damsel is in the middle of the tank. Is it a normal behavior? Thank you for lots of help.

The worst case scenario it will be just damsel tank :) but I love the clown and would love to have a pair and a coral to host them (not sure I can have any in 7g tank :))

parkinsn
03-16-2012, 05:13 PM
Thank you guys for advice. I would agree about too much phosphate because it is very small skimmer-less tank and I will try to keep it as long as possible. Eventually I will upgrade to bigger one, but I want to make sure I understand everything before spending lots of $$$ for bigger tank.

SO it is 3rd day for my clown fish and Yellowtail. Clown fish is chasing around by the glass and I think he is not accommodated yet, at least he doesn't eat yet which is my concern. What if he doesn't eat for next couple of days - can he die? Yellow tail looks like is very fine, started to eat but I didn't notice any aggression. They both swim together sometimes. Another thing I've noticed they don't hide in rocks. Clown is in the top of the tank swimming by the glass, but damsel is in the middle of the tank. Is it a normal behavior? Thank you for lots of help.

The worst case scenario it will be just damsel tank :) but I love the clown and would love to have a pair and a coral to host them (not sure I can have any in 7g tank :))

On a side note the bigger the tank the easier it is. Yes its more money but its also more stable and forgiving.

Give him a few more days to get eating and use to the new tank. Did you ask the guys ar RC what they are feeding? Are you feeding the same type of food that they were? Clown fish are wierd, sometimes they like to host power heads. I wouldn't be too concerned at this point with behavior.

Also keep in mind that a clown fish is a damsel. Personally I don't like damsels because they can be real @$$holes. Clowns can also be aggressive as well though.

gobytron
03-16-2012, 06:29 PM
eventually, war will break out between these two territorial fish and one will die...

it could be in a week or in a year but once one of them establishes itself, theres just no where to hide in a 7 gallon tank.

Also, as far as rinsing food goes, in a tank as small as that, every little bit helps...that being said, you SHOULD be doing enough regular water changes that it really shouldnt matter.