PDA

View Full Version : Crabs etc and Soda Water

gregzz4
03-14-2012, 07:03 AM
Feb 2nd I bought my live rock and started curing it. Since then, every water change, I have noticed my brittle star population dwindling and losing legs. So, time to catch some crabs. I have at least one ( what I think is a ) Porcelain that I'd like the LFS to ID, but I see one guy with hairy spotted legs, and another I took in yesterday with big claws. He became Mantis food @ J&L.
The wife brought me home some soda water tonight as everywhere I went didn't carry any. Can you believe that? Esso, Chevron, 7-11 ... no mix.
Anyway, I plan on putting my curing rocks into a bucket and squirt some of the soda into the holes with a baster. I tried sitting the rocks in the dark in an empty bucket, but no go. I don't want to keep doing this as the rocks are almost finished curing.
So, lets see tomorrow how some Co2 works :twised:

Anyone have any other ideas? Keep in mind the rocks are in a rubbermaid ( covered ), so a trap won't work too well.

asylumdown
03-15-2012, 04:03 AM
Does soda water kill them, or just cause them to come out from the rocks? I've never heard of that method before

gregzz4
03-15-2012, 09:57 PM
Doesn't kill 'em, unless they are stupid enough to stay put. The CO2 displaces O2 which is supposed to cause them to abandon ship.
I'll report back when I try it.

Myka
03-16-2012, 02:31 AM
Vinegar works better, but does do some damage to the life on the rock.

gregzz4
03-16-2012, 04:43 AM
Did the trick. I used 1 2-litre bottle in a 2 gallon bucket, and then a second bottle to pour over the rocks. I found 3 crabs.
It also flushed out a bunch of amphipod shells. None of them were swimming when they came out, so I'll say they are just shed exoskeletons.
I also found one of those 'wood bug lookin' things swimming around.
Anyway, it looks like all the crabs are the same breed, once I look at them in the pics, even though the smallest one first looked like a Pom-Pom.
I think they are Porcelains but I don't know enough yet to call that for sure.
I'll take them in to JL in the next day or so, but what do you all think about what kind they are?
Friendly or not?
http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx136/Gregzz4/75%20Gallon%20Build/DSC00870.jpg
http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx136/Gregzz4/75%20Gallon%20Build/DSC00867.jpg

gregzz4
03-16-2012, 06:25 AM
Any thoughts on these crabs?

tang daddy
03-16-2012, 07:05 AM
Those don't look like a friendly species, I've seen those breaking off acro branches, any crabs that have a point to the claw is considered dead the only crabs I keep a black gorilla crabs in my tank because they do a good job on algae but sometimes see them eating acros aswell. They don't intensionally go for acros but because they hide and only stick their claw out they have to taste what they eat. Any scrap food gets eaten up by them too which is a bonus....

reefwars
03-16-2012, 02:00 PM
Def not a porcelain and doesn't look friendly I wouldn't chance it:):)

subman
03-16-2012, 02:08 PM
those claws look sketchy to me. I wouldn't chance it.

good work with the soda water.

Myka
03-16-2012, 02:54 PM
That's awesome the soda water worked so well for you! I never had much luck with it. Those definitely are not Porcelain Crabs, I wouldn't keep them.

Bblinks
03-16-2012, 07:08 PM
Mantis food!

FitoPharmer
03-16-2012, 07:22 PM
There is nothing more satisfying then hearing a mantis or trigger crunch the shell of crabs that have been bugging you for a while. :mrgreen: :twised:

gregzz4
03-16-2012, 08:18 PM
OK everybody. Thanks for the advice. Coming from who you all are, it's off to J&L for these dudes. They have 2 hungry Mantis