PDA

View Full Version : Actinics and algae

2bafish
03-14-2012, 05:13 AM
About a month ago I changed my bulb layout in my fixtures. I used to have 2 power glo and 2 actinics. I changed them to 3 actinics and one purple/white bulb. I like the look of it but I notice an increase in algae. Especially hair algae and some green on my sand. My phosphates an nitrates seem fine but could it be the lights?

gregzz4
03-14-2012, 08:36 AM
I replied earlier but gather I forgot to submit it :drinking:
It's possible that your old lights were worn out and the new ones are fueling the algae.
Just in case, double check your PO4 and NO3. Any Phosphates can contribute and any Nitrates above 5-10/10-20 can be an issue, depending on the individual tank.

2bafish
03-14-2012, 03:32 PM
Yes checked them again. Fine. Maybe the algae is using up the nitrates and that's why it's reading fine. I reduced my light schedule to 9 hours and shut of my moonlights at night. Maybe it helps. Also got a sea hare

sphelps
03-14-2012, 03:48 PM
Well the purple bulb probably has red in it which tends to spike things up a little but blue also plays a large role in plant growth, plants mostly only use blue and red spectrum so increasing either of these can result in more algae growth.

wickedfrags
03-14-2012, 05:08 PM
possible but not likely.....IME

time to check RO/DI unit, up with water changes, feed a little less, clean the skimmer and pump, and perhaps run some carbon. algae is usually a function of water quality and less about lighting

About a month ago I changed my bulb layout in my fixtures. I used to have 2 power glo and 2 actinics. I changed them to 3 actinics and one purple/white bulb. I like the look of it but I notice an increase in algae. Especially hair algae and some green on my sand. My phosphates an nitrates seem fine but could it be the lights?