PDA

View Full Version : extreme tank crash....

isaac1
03-14-2012, 03:11 AM
Well like alot have done when upgrading tanks i got a little to excited and over loaded my 90... my tank went from tropical to looking like a suncor tailing pond within the past weeks it has been getting better if i could post pictures from my phone i would it look a tropicsl green paradise of hair algie and a nasty smellinh matt algie that looked almost black reminds me red cyno but diffrent, with massive wster changes and minimal light and addition of a super crew, 14 hermits,12 turbos, bout 13 sand sifting snails and a stsr fish ive managed to some what stabilize ive lost hundreds in corals fish and anenomies all that remains is a 7 yr old rose bubble tip who has for the last 3 weeks has been transparent white a candy cane and one brain who dosnt seem to mind anything at all my biggest concern is a close inspection of my live rock is showing an epidemic of aptasia coloneys developing there all extreamly small still so im not sure if my joes juice will suffice to any and all vetrens of this hobby all advice as to what to add to controll and stabilize would be most appreacated

isaac1
03-14-2012, 03:19 AM
I lrt my 90 cycle for about a month and half with live rock i recived from a freind all the live rock i had to fresh dip and air for two weeks due to aptasia so im thinking thats were the colenes are comming from also i added my entire 35 into my 90 over a two week periof i wanted to add this so theres no confusion to the mayhem i created, thow my 35 ran stable with no crashes ich or serious out breaks for about.three years i was under the impression a larger tank would be much eaiser to maintain

marie
03-14-2012, 03:20 AM
Time and patience, is probably your best bet.

Carbon, gfo and weekly water changes while siphoning out as much algae as you can. Don't add any livestock except maybe 3 or 4 peppermint shrimp to deal with the aiptasia.

fishytime
03-14-2012, 03:23 AM
sorry to hear about your troubles.....was it just the corals that you lost, no fish?.....what have you got for fish?.....

isaac1
03-14-2012, 03:40 AM
I lost 2 pepermint shrimp,two mated clowns,1 lawn mower blenny thow he fell victem to my skimmer inlet, two convict damsels,two purple yellow looking damsels,an entire 10 pound live rock thst was once a flourishing green star polup, sbout a have dozen red ricordia mushrooms, 6 plste corals not sure names, a six gead hammer coral when i got 3 yrs ago was only two heads, an 8 head frog spwan also when i purchased about yhree yrs ago only had 2 branches, and a green rose tip anenomie, also lost 1 rose tip trigger and 1 picasso trigger

tim the toolman
03-14-2012, 03:46 AM
Your tank could and should have at least twice that much for a clean up crew. Water changes and patience. Good luck

RedCoralEdmonton
03-14-2012, 04:54 AM
isaac if you ever run into problems like this in the future, give us a call, we could have taken your livestock until your tank settled down, if there is anything we can do give us a shout!

Steve

flyguy1
03-14-2012, 04:59 AM
wow