PDA

View Full Version : i am impatient for clowns to host in sebae

nrosdal
03-14-2012, 02:37 AM
I got this sebae anemone in December and it was bright white. It is starting to darken up (which is a good sign). But my silly clowns still wont go near it. If anyone with experience wants to chime in... i am just curious how long it took for your clowns to host in your sebae.

here is the nem when i got it in December

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d99/sheetmetal/fish/2011-12-22175133.jpg

and in Feb.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d99/sheetmetal/fish/2012-02-22174423.jpg

and march
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d99/sheetmetal/fish/2012-03-12173229-1.jpg

fishytime
03-14-2012, 02:46 AM
your clowns may never host in it.....sebaes are not a nem that occelaris or percs host in naturally in the wild....

Casey8
03-14-2012, 02:51 AM
Mine hosted right away with seabae, I changed it every couple years when it got too big for my liking. And everytime the new one came, the clowns jumped right into it to host. The only reason I can think of is your clown must have something else to host already, if that is the case they may never want to change to their new host.

nrosdal
03-14-2012, 02:56 AM
your clowns may never host in it.....sebaes are not a nem that occelaris or percs host in naturally in the wild....

that is what i have seen with my research, i was hoping for unrealistic success stories to give me hope :(

nrosdal
03-14-2012, 03:02 AM
The only reason I can think of is your clown must have something else to host already, if that is the case they may never want to change to their new host.

no, they just hang out in the front corner on the same side of the anemone and swim around/sit in the sand like a couple non hosting creeps.

Casey8
03-14-2012, 03:08 AM
Fishytime was right about it, because I remembered the guy who sold the sebae told me there is no waranty the clown will host it, because it is not for them. But mine did and they loved it. Anyway, maybe my clowns were not so picky about it.

daniella3d
03-14-2012, 03:11 AM
Those may be wild clownfish and they might be imprinted on one type of anemone and will only host what they do in the wild. They may never ever be host to that anemone. I sold my previous pair because they would not go in any anemone and they would anoy the heck out of my corals to the point they were dying. Then I got some new clownfish.

My new clownfish are tank raised black ice, and they took only one day to go in the sebea, then I lost that bleached anemone and I bought another one (brown this time, not bleached) and they again took only one day to go in it.

Both my fish are occelaris and both time it was a sebea and both time it took a day or less for them to adopt the anemone:

Here is a video of my black ice in the sebae:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=A9HIwKpRjio

troni
03-14-2012, 03:11 AM
i did some researching a few weeks back and this sunjects tends to start fights lol

fishytime
03-14-2012, 03:14 AM
you could try placing a mirror a little closer to the nem on that side pane of glass where the clowns hang out......and this may sound silly, but Ive read about it working... print off a picture of a clown hosting in a nem and tape that to the side of the tank near the nem.....who knows maybe your clowns will be one of the few that break the rules of engagement...

nrosdal
03-14-2012, 03:27 AM
was considering swapping nem for a nice carpet i saw at the lfs... but might just try adding new clowns to see if the ones i have are defective before i try a new nem as that can be quite an undertaking.

daniella3d
03-14-2012, 01:41 PM
Get some nice designer clownfish :) black ice are awesome as they are black or very dark at the top and a nice rich reddish orange at the bottom with some nice white pattern. Those are occellaris, as well as the snowflakes and the platinium.

Picasso are percula and they also host a sebea. You were lucky that your nem got better and more healthy because it seemed to be died yellow and bleached at the beginning.

was considering swapping nem for a nice carpet i saw at the lfs... but might just try adding new clowns to see if the ones i have are defective before i try a new nem as that can be quite an undertaking.

dperrin
03-14-2012, 02:35 PM
Carpet Anenomes are cold blooded killers, research them before putting one in your tank!

nrosdal
03-14-2012, 03:24 PM
Carpet Anenomes are cold blooded killers, research them before putting one in your tank!

sounds like my kind of anemone!

But i am definitely gonna try new clowns before i consider a new nem, because i am sure that if i switch out the anemone i would end up with a wandering anemone that will attach himself in the worst possible place and swallow up any fish it can snag in its sticky lil trap.

toytech
03-14-2012, 07:39 PM
Try the picture trick first before you swap anything , ive heard of a few people who have had sucess with it .

Geofrog
03-14-2012, 07:45 PM
It took mine 6 months before they moved in. Someone told me once to trap the clowns in a 2L pop bottle and place it over the nem, and within a day or two they will stay with in the nem.
I haven't tried this so I can't say if it will work or not.

chewie
03-14-2012, 07:55 PM
I've heard of getting a fake clown fish, like the ones that some veggie clips are attached to, and put it in or as close as possible to the nem. This tricks them into going to the nem. Never tried it but heard it works.