PDA

View Full Version : Well water for the reef

reefgirl189
03-13-2012, 09:51 PM
For those of you with well water :

What kind of water treatment do you do to make your water reef safe?

Do you ever shock your well? How often?

The Grizz
03-13-2012, 11:15 PM
I'm on a well that is really bad, it has Tannin in the water which is a for of Arsenic. We have a HUGE RO system that cleans the water so well that it has tested better then the bottled water you buy at the store for us to drink. The system was not cheap though. We have lived hear for 4 yrs now and have never had to shock the well.

dragonets1
03-13-2012, 11:18 PM
I hope someone can help you, I as well have a well not sure if its safe or not so i been hauling water from town and it a pain in the.....

KevinK
03-13-2012, 11:24 PM
hmm,

I'm on a well, as well can draw water from a 8km long lake, I run it to my RO unit, making shore I keep my tds almost, if not on 0,

I in fact dont know what ells to do with it, I mean, the water in the tap is I think more dirty before it enters the RO, than the water I use out of the well ore lake,

lets se what others input is

Mike-fish
03-14-2012, 02:58 AM
Ro/di would be your best bet. My well is ultra high iron we run a vertex 100gpd. Di only lasts for about 700g if I'm lucky. Have your water tested so you know what your up against so you can find out exactly what you need to target.

reefgirl189
03-14-2012, 03:14 AM
Do any of you have a softener system as well? Before RO or separate from?

I have high iron and a few silicates. There's so many oil pads around here and seismic lately that I feel like our well is going to collapse.

Mike-fish
03-14-2012, 03:23 AM
Yeah I have a softener for the whole house works fine but still ro/di for the tank. Still burns di like mad

Mike-fish
03-14-2012, 03:24 AM
Ro/di should do the trick I think

Slick Fork
03-14-2012, 03:28 AM
What's your PPM? When I was out at an acreage our well water was ~800PPM. Even with a high pressure pump for the RO unit the membrane would only get it down to about 50ppm leaving me to burn through DI ridiculously fast. Something in the water was also causing major issues in the tank, if I didn't keep up with the DI it played hell with my system like you wouldn't believe.

I had always thought of using a second membrane in order to prolong the life of the DI, but we also suffered from a shallow well pump and would run out of water pretty quickly so that would also have been a non-starter. We installed a softener and that helped a little bit.

In the end I found the water was too expensive - either trying to keep up with the DI burn or trucking RODI water in from the local water store... I ended up just shutting the tank down until we moved to town and started again.

If you can afford it, check out a whole house system. Having nice clean, non-staining water out in the country is worth the pennies if you've got them!

Rogue951
03-14-2012, 05:11 AM
makes me appreciate my 16ppm from the tap that much more over here. =)

gregzz4
03-14-2012, 06:35 AM
makes me appreciate my 16ppm from the tap that much more over here. =)
+1 Cudos to GVRD/Metro Vancouver for intalling our new system, making our drinking water ( apparently ) the cleanest water in the world on the day they opened the Treatment Plant.
7-8PPM here in Burnaby in a 36 year old house. I haven't used my DI yet. The RO takes it down to zero on it's own and the filters aren't even showing signs of dirt yet since November/December.
I too feel for all of you with such high PPM. But, hell, we pay taxes through the wazoo, so I guess it's a wash.