PDA

View Full Version : My inexpensive AI's rock

tang daddy
03-13-2012, 07:08 PM
Just got these a couple days ago and love them....:mrgreen:

they dont have fancy green and red lights but hey theyre half the cost....

I just wanna see how these will grow and colour sps in the coming months.

Bblinks
03-13-2012, 07:15 PM

You have made a good choice here DADDY! If you want those fancy red and green lights we can just head to the club.:twised:

Reef Supplies
03-13-2012, 07:21 PM
This is the 4th time the AI's come up in convo today! I think it's time to look into getting these in!

Ray

fishytime
03-13-2012, 07:56 PM

my guess would be.....they will grow sps just fine, but with irregular growth patterns, with the stock optics:razz::razz:

Aquattro
03-13-2012, 08:04 PM
my guess would be.....they will grow sps just fine, but with irregular growth patterns, with the stock optics:razz::razz:

Can you explain the logic behind that guess?

fishytime
03-13-2012, 08:17 PM
a lot of the SPS guys that have been using LEDs with narrow optics have claimed that it causes irregular growth patterns....people who use LEDs with no or wider optics (like a vertex or reeftech etc) are getting normal growth patterns.....I havnt seen it first hand but have read some of the threads on other sites....

Aquattro
03-13-2012, 08:19 PM
Hmm. Interesting. Most tanks I see have irregular growth from static wter flow patterns, I'm surprised anyone would associate that problem now with lighting. I can see it though, if a large colony is in the periphery of the srop off zone.
I'll likely be using all 70 degree optics, so hopefully don't have that issue.

Trigs
03-13-2012, 08:38 PM
cant wait to see em today! Mine will be here tomorrow hopefully, looking forward to lighting my 35 up

fishytime
03-13-2012, 09:08 PM
Hmm. Interesting. Most tanks I see have irregular growth from static wter flow patterns, I'm surprised anyone would associate that problem now with lighting. I can see it though, if a large colony is in the periphery of the srop off zone.
I'll likely be using all 70 degree optics, so hopefully don't have that issue.

ya....in reality any difference in growth patterns will likely be minimal (to the point where only a SPS guru would see the difference).....probably much like MH and T5 .....the corals farthest out towards the edges of the tank tend to "lean" a bit towards the point of the strongest light source......and like you said, flow will cause variances as well....

apexifd
03-13-2012, 09:38 PM

Very nice lights for the price that you paid.

tang daddy
03-15-2012, 08:12 PM
Yah all the growth patterns under my diy led didnt change in 6 months I will report back but I have to say just 3 days on AI and I already see some sps colour up more...Phenominal! :lol:

reeferious
03-15-2012, 11:35 PM
been wanting to do changeover from mh to led where do i get above from?

Bblinks
03-16-2012, 05:32 AM
OA or modular led

apexifd
03-16-2012, 05:39 AM
concept aquatics as well

however, if possible try to support your LFS

tang daddy
03-16-2012, 07:09 AM
I got my led from modular, it was free shipping to my door. Fast and easy, Martin got the LEDs to me in 2 days of payment which was great because I sold my DIY LEDs and needed some quickly, there was also a cadbury chocolate bar to eat as I sat back and watched my tank, how's that for service....:lol:

Bblinks
03-16-2012, 04:18 PM
I got my led from modular, it was free shipping to my door. Fast and easy, Martin got the LEDs to me in 2 days of payment which was great because I sold my DIY LEDs and needed some quickly, there was also a cadbury chocolate bar to eat as I sat back and watched my tank, how's that for service....:lol:

+1 on the cadbury, A plus service.

Reefie
03-16-2012, 04:52 PM
+1 on the cadbury, A plus service.

I've heard great things about Modular LED too! :smile:

However, Rich.............I think you should lay off of the chocolate bars. :wink:

Chris, keep me posted with growth on your SPS. I'm tossing around the idea of switching from my Illumilux and Panorama PRO combo to the AI's. The Illumilux were supposed to have a 0-10V Dimming option available, but it's been almost a year and still nothing. I'm leaning towards the AI's due to their compatibility with my RKL to be able to control the lights with the ALC module.

apexifd
03-16-2012, 06:54 PM
I've heard great things about Modular LED too! :smile:

However, Rich.............I think you should lay off of the chocolate bars. :wink:

Chris, keep me posted with growth on your SPS. I'm tossing around the idea of switching from my Illumilux and Panorama PRO combo to the AI's. The Illumilux were supposed to have a 0-10V Dimming option available, but it's been almost a year and still nothing. I'm leaning towards the AI's due to their compatibility with my RKL to be able to control the lights with the ALC module.

might want to double check the features that you get when using ALC with Ai. not sure if they have thunder mode, cloud mode, and lunar cycle.

Midway
03-17-2012, 04:26 AM
Getting my AIs black tomorrow. From mh to LEDs....yaaayyyyyy been wating from this for a long time. Getting from modular led too.

Nano
03-17-2012, 04:33 AM
I got my led from modular......there was also a cadbury chocolate bar......

man am I the only one who did get a chocolate bar? You owe me Martin :twised:

intarsiabox
03-17-2012, 08:06 PM
man am I the only one who did get a chocolate bar? You owe me Martin :twised:

I didn't get one either.:sad: Fortunately it was over Christmas and I already had more than enough chocolate around the house!