PDA

View Full Version : Donate coral and fish

GreenSpottedPuffer
03-13-2012, 05:56 PM
I am moving and can't keep 50% of my coral plus a few fish. I do not want to sell, I would like to donate to a good cause.

I would like to find something like a school saltwater aquarium where kids can enjoy some pretty cool corals and coral frags.

Please PM me and let me know if you are a teacher with a classroom tank or some other sort of non private, low budget tank.

We can discuss what corals I have privately, if I list them here, I figure I will start getting a bunch of PM's wanting to buy them. Most will do well under medium light requirements and the fish are all small.

arash53
03-13-2012, 07:31 PM
Way to go, great idea :biggrin:

Bblinks
03-13-2012, 07:37 PM
Awesome idea dude. Its very nice of you for even thinking of doing it. Good on you buddy.

GreenSpottedPuffer
03-13-2012, 08:11 PM
Awesome idea dude. Its very nice of you for even thinking of doing it. Good on you buddy.

I have had most of these corals for many years and I am keeping frags. The way I look at it, I'm not loosing anything and I think if kids can enjoy them, why not? Some of the coral is stuff schools probably wouldn't have the budget for normally.

Reef Puffer
03-13-2012, 08:14 PM
ha, i dont have a classroom and isnt a non private tank. tho i do have six young children that i try to "teach" about ocean/marine life with a VERY "low budget tank" ;).....

msjboy
03-14-2012, 12:12 AM
Best is to find a place ( Science world?) where they operate 365 days of yr... school tanks are usually at expense of the teacher and they have to move the stock out during the summer when schools are closed.

hint hint... got any gorgs for sale?:twised:

Good luck with your move & new job... did you enjoy singapore?

cheers

msjboy

skabooya
03-14-2012, 01:48 AM
AWW MAN! If this was in September I would have taken you up on this for my classroom. I started a small FW tank in my classroom. Depending on what ever teaching job I get next year I want to expand it to a simple SW (low-med light) and a larger emersed FW set up. At home I am testing out the opae ula and when they breed and I have enough they will be going to my classroom too :)
Good on you for wanting to donate. I hope you find your inhabitants a good home :)

Finisher604
03-14-2012, 04:49 AM
If you decide to sell some colonys id be happy to work something out. Most schools I know of around south surrey have tanks that simulate our local oceans.

dunl
03-14-2012, 04:03 PM
If I was closer, I'd take them for my three classroom tanks.

Thanks for doing this....the kids really enjoy tanks in a classroom.

GreenSpottedPuffer
03-14-2012, 09:09 PM
Best is to find a place ( Science world?) where they operate 365 days of yr... school tanks are usually at expense of the teacher and they have to move the stock out during the summer when schools are closed.

hint hint... got any gorgs for sale?:twised:

Good luck with your move & new job... did you enjoy singapore?

cheers

msjboy

Never went to Singapore because of both Visa problems and cost of living. Started a local business here in Vancouver with my dad actually, so been really busy. My wife and I are moving downtown and the place is new...we both don't like the idea of keeping much saltwater in this condo so we are downsizing to a small nano.

GreenSpottedPuffer
03-14-2012, 09:13 PM
Ok, here's the deal...

I keep getting PM's from people saying they want corals although they are not teachers but are on a low budget. I feel for you but I want these to go to a classroom and have found 3 teachers so far.

As of now, I am going to start with these tanks (they are all small tanks) and see how much of the coral they take. I will then post what I have left if anything.

Don't offer money, I don't want money, I want kids to have a chance to enjoy and learn from the corals in the classroom.