PDA

View Full Version : contagious sps disease?

Corbin
03-13-2012, 12:27 AM
So i had one acro start melting on me, i fragged the healthy parts (the flesh melted too anyways), when i noticed it was starting to melt/bleach out, i moved it up to the top of the tank near more flow, moving a frag of monti cap, the acro died out completely, the frags too. i moved the Monti cap back where the acro was and it started melting too, and then it got moved and was resting up against another SPS colony and now its starting to bleach out slowly, its like a slow flesh eating disease, passing along by contact, and slowly killing off the whole coral advancing along it over a few hours or a couple days.
none of the sps that hasnt touched these "infected" corals are doing bad, they're looking great actually....

Not to concerned tbh, just curious :lol:

im guessing RTN?

untamed
03-13-2012, 01:07 AM
Absolutely. I've experienced the same thing. My theory is that there is some kind of bacteria or virus that feeds on dying coral tissue. Coral has some resistance, but faced with close proximity of a thriving population overwhelms nearby coral.

Aquattro
03-13-2012, 01:07 AM
Typically multiple species of SPS could be affected by water quality or contaminants. Often an acro colony will fade, regardless of fragging it, it's just some genetic code that sets the whole thing off. But for a monti to follow, I'd suspect water first.

fishytime
03-13-2012, 01:58 AM
you shouldnt be resting any sps on another....one of the two will win.....I would suspect that is what triggered at least the last RTN....as for the first couple:noidea:......sometimes thats just how the sps game goes.....

Corbin
03-13-2012, 02:59 AM
you shouldnt be resting any sps on another....one of the two will win.....I would suspect that is what triggered at least the last RTN....as for the first couple:noidea:......sometimes thats just how the sps game goes.....

lol well no i dont rest sps on one another, but hermits like to move them around annoying pricks they are, dont understand there compulsion to be underneath all my sps.

Yeah im thinking something set it off, but its deffeintly become contagious RTN. since this post, half the monti that had a dime sized bleached area is now dollar sized - i fragged ahuge amount and threw it away.

oh well, just monti cap. kinda annoyed about the acro though.

i dunno what triggered it though.