PDA

View Full Version : Hardware Question

MustangMX
03-13-2012, 12:16 AM
Hey guys what external pump would you guys recommend for a 300g tank + a 150 sump, I will be running 2 pumps back to the main display.

Reef Supplies
03-13-2012, 01:03 AM
How much head between the two?

MustangMX
03-13-2012, 01:12 AM
Not sure yet i have not started doing any of the plumbing, Im just getting the sump made but im not sure what size bulkheads i should have installed in the sump

Reef Supplies
03-13-2012, 01:23 AM
Once you get that all set up you should aim for a tank/sump volume water turnover that will suite your needs. There is a lot of debate on what the right number is, I personally like 6 to 10 times.

If you are looking for budget pumps you should look at Danner Mag-Drives. They are tanks, never break down and can be run internal or external.

If budget is not an issue, have a look at Reeflo, great pumps.

Ray

e46er
03-13-2012, 01:27 AM
For the love of god run an external return pump

I had nothing but problems with submersible return pumps
I would clean them every few moths and they still crapped out mag drives quiet ones.

Have a reeflo snapper hybrid now and would never go back to submersible

MustangMX
03-13-2012, 01:29 AM
Once you get that all set up you should aim for a tank/sump volume water turnover that will suite your needs. There is a lot of debate on what the right number is, I personally like 6 to 10 times.

If you are looking for budget pumps you should look at Danner Mag-Drives. They are tanks, never break down and can be run internal or external.

If budget is not an issue, have a look at Reeflo, great pumps.

Ray

Do you think 2 Reeflo hybrids will be overkill?

Lance
03-13-2012, 01:46 AM
For the love of god run an external return pump

I had nothing but problems with submersible return pumps
I would clean them every few moths and they still crapped out mag drives quiet ones.

Have a reeflo snapper hybrid now and would never go back to submersible

+1 External for sure.
My Reeflo Barracuda tees off to two return pipes and 2 reactors, and is still dialed back somewhat.

Reef Supplies
03-13-2012, 02:27 AM

Snapper Hybrid I assume? 2 is a lot unless you plan some sort of a closed loop with one of them and /or plan to run reactors, skimmers...etc.

ReeFlo Snapper Hybrid $349

- Flow can be adjusted to as low as 300 gph @ 75 watts!

- Max flow 2500 gph

- Max head 11'

e46er
03-13-2012, 06:26 AM

i run 2 snapper hybrids with the snapper impeller (2500 gph) 1 is for a return with tees also running 3 reactors (carbon,gfo, bio pellets) the other is on a closed loop

I cant see running 2 pumps for a return to be benifical or cost effictive
I reccomend reeflo hands down ( i have only owned the snapper hybrids) but neither have not once restarted after i shut off power for a water change in last 2 years ive had them