PDA

View Full Version : Reef safe fish suggestions for 90 gal sps

Cubeman
03-12-2012, 09:39 PM
I'm looking for fish suggestions for a 90 gallon sps dominated tank (with one LPS - Open Brain). So far the only fish are a Hectors Goby and a Canary Wrasse. I'm looking for fish that will swim out in the open but will remain small (max 4-5 inches). Would prefer a herbivore (but not mandatory)with zero possibility of coral nipping and musn't be territorial.

toytech
03-12-2012, 10:02 PM
Wrasses i think are your best bet , fairy , or flashers .

wickedfrags
03-12-2012, 10:07 PM
I plan the following for my 90G SPS:
- flame wrasse
- labouti wrasse
- black tang
- blue eye cardinals (7-8)
- 2 canary wrassses, for pests
- 3 bartlets anthias
- perhaps a small yellow tang...

Reef Supplies
03-12-2012, 10:41 PM
Yellow Tangs do not get toooo big and you might want to look at a 6 line wrasse maybe?

Ray

fishytime
03-13-2012, 12:00 AM
for herbivores I would consider a kole, or tomini....extremely hard working fish that constantly graze, dont get too huge and dont seem to need as much space as say a yellow seems to need ....lawnmower or starry blenny (if you have a top for the tank)

and for other fish in general....fairy wrasses, flasher wrasses any other wrasse from the Halichoeres family should be fine with your canary(again, make sure you have a top).....hawkfish are cool if you dont have any shrimp(or add the shrimp first).....assessors and grammas are good fish.....any of the cardinals can be good choices if you dont mind their stationary behavior

asylumdown
03-13-2012, 12:55 AM
THe only thing I'd recommend against if you go with wrasses in a 90 is any damsels. They start out all cute and small, then they grow up and get mean. Even if they're relatively docile towards other fish, the chasing they do with each other can spook wrasses enough to cause them to jump. And since the only physical law reef tanks follow is Murphy's law, said wrasses will always find the one tiny spot in your cover that you never knew a fish could fit through.

And Voila, floor jerky.

Myka
03-13-2012, 02:08 AM
Wrasses will jump. It is not a matter of if, but when. Imo it is completely irresponsible to have wrasses in an uncovered tank.

I personally don't like Tangs in a 90. I had a small Kole Tang in my 90 and it didn't seem like enough room for him and he was still small. He picked at Zoas too. I'm a Wrassaholic...can't seem to get enough of them! I have really been liking the Lubbock's Wrasse I bought a couple months ago. I have a Grey Head Wrasse (similar to Melanurus), a Yellow Coris Wrasse, and a McCosker's Fairy Wrasse in the tank as well. They all pick at the rocks a lot and both the Grey Head and Yellow Coris pick in and around all the corals too. The Grey Head ate all the bristleworms long ago (he was the first wrasse in the tank). He is a very good janitor. Fwiw, there are many snails/conch and even a Peppermint shrimp in the tank that he hasn't eaten. I'm going to add a couple more fish I think...some I'm considering are: Hooded Wrasse ($), Purple or Helfrich's Firefish ($), Orange Back Fairy Wrasse, Orchid Dottyback (territorial), Tailspot Blenny (entertaining), maybe even a Yellow Tailed Blue Damsel (territorial).

Pearly Jawfish are attractive and fun to watch, but they need a 3"+ sandbed at least in one area so they can dig a burrow. Hawkfish are cute, but may eat crustaceans. Cardinals are peaceful, but shy.

reefgirl189
03-13-2012, 02:30 AM
Wrasses will jump. It is not a matter of if, but when. Imo it is completely irresponsible to have wrasses in an uncovered tank.

I personally don't like Tangs in a 90. I had a small Kole Tang in my 90 and it didn't seem like enough room for him and he was still small.

Tell me about it. I have a small purple tang (<3 inches) in a 180 and it doesn't seem like enough room for him. Or maybe I'm just looking for excuses to upgrade.

Cubeman
03-14-2012, 12:11 AM
Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'll take a close look at the different wrasses around town.