PDA

View Full Version : Going to Hawaii - can I bring back fish?

raquel
03-07-2004, 04:22 PM
I am off to Hawaii for spring break. Does anyone know if I can bring store bought SW fish or live rock into Canada? Also can anyone recommend a good aquarium store in Honolulu?
Thanks!

Jason McK
03-07-2004, 04:45 PM
No you can't bring anything back into Canada legally

J

Scales
03-07-2004, 05:53 PM
If you visit any aquarium stores, you will quickly learn the prices in Hawaii for both livestock and equipment are higher than here....I usually go to Maui and visit a couple of stores each time...I have yet to find anything I couldn't find here for a better price....

UnderWorldAquatics
03-07-2004, 08:27 PM
you can bring fish and inverts back with you with proper documentation, invoice species list, prices, for customs clearance and taxes. you cant bring back any liverock, clams, corals, or cities controlled livestock without a cities permit. any livestock would need to be packed in styro with heat packs and oxygen for a reg 48hour journey. not a carry on trip. it would be cheaper to buy locally

Namscam
03-07-2004, 09:38 PM
wut if you were to just ship it overnight and just dont tell the shipping company what is inside it

raquel
03-07-2004, 10:19 PM
Ok, Thanks. That is good advice. I wouldnt want to ship it separate. I wanted to ease the transition for the little guys by taking them myself, door to door. But oh well, looks like I will let the LFS do it for me.

UnderWorldAquatics
03-08-2004, 05:58 AM
wut if you were to just ship it overnight and just dont tell the shipping company what is inside it

well you could get in big trouble....

nickb
03-08-2004, 10:57 AM
I recently looked at the Canadian government CITES page. Ornamnetal fish can be legally imported into Canada unless they are listed in CITES. The only ones I could find listed were seahorses although most corals and LR are covered. I think that Hawaii may have its own regulations about collecting and exporting fish from the state.

You can find information about CITES restricted animals at:
http://www.cites.ec.gc.ca/eng/sct8/index_e.cfm

Here is the URL I used to check this out but it seems to have stopped working since I last checked it 2 months ago:
http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/science/aq...rnamental_e.htm