PDA

View Full Version : Sponges

Samw
07-08-2002, 01:12 PM
Anyone keeping sponges? I was thinking of buying one of those orange cat's paw or tree sponge if I ever find one.

Will microbubbles from the protein skimmer kill the sponge?

Troy F
07-08-2002, 05:22 PM
You don't want to get air trapped anywhere near the sponge. A couple of things that I learned in my invertabrate class (and I only learned a few) was that sponges move a huge amount of water through themselves and require a large amount of planktonic food. The more colourful the species, the more chance that it'll be toxic to other animals is another point.

BCReefer
07-08-2002, 06:46 PM
What about the old saying the brighter the animal the less light it needs? Is this the case on sponges?

I am adding 10 - 20 ml of DT's everyday so maybe the Blue sponge will make it.

But does anyone have and books they can recommend?

Cheers,
Patrick

Troy F
07-08-2002, 07:25 PM
What about the old saying the brighter the animal the less light it needs? Is this the case on sponges?<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Usually the brighter pigmented cnidarians come from shallower waters and require, or are used to more light. I'll have to do a bit of reading and get back to you on whether or not this holds true for the any species of sponges. My initial skimming indicates that little is known about pigmentation but that protection from solar radiation and warning colouration have been suggested. They are very interesting animals for sure. Maybe some of the people who've tried them will chime in.

As for reading I'll dig through Invertebrate Zoology and see if I can come up with anything for you.

Samw
07-09-2002, 03:41 AM
Thanks for the info all. I think there's a demand for the orange "cat's paw" sponges as J&L told me that they sold them all on Sat. So I was hoping to hear some success stories with them.

About your blue sponges, were they purchased from a store or was it hitchhiked with your coral/live rock?

[ 08 July 2002, 23:42: Message edited by: Sam W ]

ldzielak
07-09-2002, 04:30 AM
Sam,

I got a blue sponge about 1 month ago, maybe more. A small section had some dis-color in the store, but the main colony was good. He is still doing fine, guess that is good. But I had no micro-bubbles, so I can't help you there.

Lee

BCReefer
07-09-2002, 04:55 AM
Sam,

I have a blue sponge which is almost completey dead. I was talking to Dr. Ron and did what he told me, but the sponge is having a tuff time. My wife indicated to me that it was attaching a small 2 cm piece to a different rock. I am hoping that it lives.

I also have a Yellow Devils finger, and it growing. I have 175W of MH lighting. When I 1st had it, I put it on bottom of the tank, then after 3 - 4 weeks I moved it up. It did not like it at all, so I moved it back down.

I was not able to find many books, nor is there much on the internet. I know cause I tried. If you find anything let me know.

Cheers,
Patrick

George
07-09-2002, 04:59 AM
Most sponges are filter feeders. Unless you have a high concentration of planktons, better leave them in the ocean.

George

BCReefer
07-09-2002, 01:22 PM
My sponges came from King Ed's. I think that the Blue sponge will make it but is basically starting over again. I am trying to add more DT's but I am concerned about what it will do to my water. Since I have been added it, my water seems to be less clear and I have more crap coming from the skimmer.

Cheers,
Patrick

ldzielak
07-09-2002, 07:25 PM
I got my blue one from King Ed too. J&L had one nice orange and blue but they were sold. Then I saw the ones at King Ed, they had a very nice orange one (sold :mad: ) and a blue one, that I picked up cheap.

If mine doesn't make it, I will stay away from them for good (sponges that is not King Ed)

Lee

[ 09 July 2002, 15:26: Message edited by: Lee ]

naesco
07-10-2002, 01:48 AM
I agree with George. They are best left in the ocean. There is no point in experimenting with them as almost all of us have failed.
I am surprised that J and L are selling them but I also noticed that they have started to sell flame scallops which do not survive either.
It is time all of us have a polite talk to them about this

[ 10 July 2002, 05:59: Message edited by: naesco ]