PDA

View Full Version : aiptasia popping up

MarkoD
03-11-2012, 01:20 AM
so i've started to get aiptasia popping up out of the sandbed.

cant see any on the rocks but i guess its only a matter of time.

whats the best way for me to get rid of it?

Casey8
03-11-2012, 01:23 AM
I guess it will be much easier to get rid of them by just scooping them up from the sand, because their feet are not stuck deep inside the rock.

Aquattro
03-11-2012, 01:23 AM
Despite Brett's lack of success, I still say filefish is the best solution. Since I moved mine out, I've got aptaisia popping up everywhere too.

MarkoD
03-11-2012, 01:25 AM
shouldnt even bother with peppermint shrimp?

Casey8
03-11-2012, 01:33 AM
I have a couple of pepper mint shrimps and they are taking very good care of aptasia for me.

toytech
03-11-2012, 01:36 AM
perpermints are working for me too. They seem to take there time with the bigger ones though.

Borderjumper
03-11-2012, 01:41 AM
peppermints never did a thing for me except pick at my clams. Filefish ate all my zoas. I finally got rid of my aptasia with berghia nudies. If your aptasia are on the sand gently remove them with a little net. If they are on the sand, they are coming from the rocks.

MinPhase
03-11-2012, 06:20 AM
Squirt lemon juice on the bastards

Kevotron
03-11-2012, 06:24 AM
turn off pumps and squirt some kalk paste over it and watch it meltttttttt
thats what i do and it works great.

outacontrol
03-11-2012, 06:27 AM
peppermint shrimp all the way, just cut back on the food so they are good and hungry

Reef Supplies
03-11-2012, 12:29 PM
peppermint shrimp have worked really well for me...make sure you are actually getting L. wurdemanni and not R. durbanensis – Commonly known as the Camelback Shrimp.

I have also had great success wth red sea aiptasia-x, it has worked better than the other comm. brands.

Ray

Proteus
03-11-2012, 02:40 PM
Bought 4 bergia which I believe we're taken out by. Sallylightfoot
Bought peppermint which were taken out buy hawkfish.
Bought copperband who didn't touch them
Bought file fish and cleared out heavy infestation in a week

reefwars
03-11-2012, 02:45 PM
Bought 4 bergia which I believe we're taken out by. Sallylightfoot
Bought peppermint which were taken out buy hawkfish.
Bought copperband who didn't touch them
Bought file fish and cleared out heavy infestation in a week

+1 filefish :P

Edmonton newbie
03-11-2012, 05:41 PM
i had a filefish that ate all my zoas then went after my bubble tips, i have peppers now that are doing the trick, filefish and ccb only eat the heads off once the fish is gone the lil buggers start popping up again peppermints and nudis are to only things that eat everything so they never come back again, any kalk paste will melt them after they spit out a ton of seeds so pick your poison and try all you want there.

sphelps
03-11-2012, 06:30 PM
I'd try peppermints first, everything will be hit or miss but these are cheapest solution and typically a nice addition regardless. Never heard of peppermints eating clams but have heard of several people buying camel backs by mistake which are not reef safe.

If you like the file fish as an addition to your tank anyway then perhaps a good choice to start with as well. If not then peppermints first but keep in mind they will not eat large aiptasia, the idea is to manually kill the larger ones and the peppermints will prevent new/smaller ones from spreading/growing.

reefgirl189
03-11-2012, 08:38 PM
Agreed with the PPMS, I haven't seen a glass anemone since I added a couple shrimps to the tank.

monocus
03-12-2012, 02:41 AM
scoop them off the sand during the day either before or about 2 hours after feeding so they don't spread.never do this at night or just after feeding.did you get your sand from someone?if they are in the sand your live rock would be covered as they like to be just off the sand bed in a flow area