PDA

View Full Version : Another skimmer question

Coralgurl
03-11-2012, 01:07 AM
I've got a reef octopus 5000 skimmer. It's been in my tank for a week or so but not at the proper water level, so today I built an egg crate stand for it. The skimmer is now sitting in the recommended 6" of water, but the water Draining out of the gate valve is obnoxious and I've got a ton of microbubbles. I've searched for info but can't find anything. Should I just drop the skimmer back as I had it or is the gate valve supposed to be out of the water and if so, how do I deal with this?

christyf5
03-11-2012, 01:13 AM
Can you put an extension on the gate valve pipe? My skimmer has one that just dips below the water level, there are still a few bubbles but not nearly as bad as freefalling into the sump.

Coralgurl
03-11-2012, 01:25 AM
I'm going to have to, rereading instructions, very bottom of page says not to submerge gate valve, but they don't send any extra plumbing to deal with the water. Off to Rona!

christyf5
03-11-2012, 01:57 AM
I'm going to have to, rereading instructions, very bottom of page says not to submerge gate valve, but they don't send any extra plumbing to deal with the water. Off to Rona!

The gate valve should be out of the water, I think it has some metal parts (most notably the screw that holds the valve knob on, not sure about the insides). Yeah, likely you'll have to retro fit it. I think mine was purchased from the manufacturer of the skimmer but really, anyone could have put it together, its pretty simple.

Coralgurl
03-11-2012, 03:12 AM
I'm just not sure if it's the entire gate valve component or just the handle that needs to stay out ouf water. I had it running so the water outlet was submerged but not the handle. I ran to Rona thinking they closed at 8, but they closed at 6. Will only need 2 parts and it should be good, will go tomorrow. Will keep searching and see if the outlet can be submerged as it was working fine.

christyf5
03-11-2012, 03:16 AM
you should have no problem submerging the outlet as long as the top of the gate valve can draw air.

I used to run my old skimmer with the gate valve partially submerged, I never had a problem but the screw on the valve knob did rust pretty badly, not sure how long it would take to do it in completely as I ran my skimmer for about 4 years before upgrading my tank and skimmer. I think gate valves are about $20 to replace.

Coralgurl
03-11-2012, 04:22 AM
Thanks Christy, I dropped it back down. Will send an email to the manufacuturer and see what they say.

The Grizz
03-11-2012, 04:58 AM
Can you post a pic of your skimmer Sheena?

Coralgurl
03-11-2012, 05:11 AM
Just gonna copy a link....

http://reefoctopusskimmer.com/super-reef-octopus-space-saver-skimmer/

Of course doing another search I found an output vent accessory I will look into.

Lance
03-11-2012, 05:15 AM
Can't you just put a 90 on the gate valve, and then enough pipe to extend it below the water surface. If there is still too many bubbles a sock will cure that.

The Grizz
03-11-2012, 05:19 AM
Can't you just put a 90 on the gate valve, and then enough pipe to extend it below the water surface. If there is still too many bubbles a sock will cure that.

It might be an odd size PVC pipe like it is on mine. Normal PVC pipe that is available to us will not fit. I was thinking that the vent kit might work, I see it some time ago & was going to suggest it.

Coralgurl
03-11-2012, 05:24 AM
I did run to Rona to grab more plumbing parts tonight, I have an elbow and left over pipe from plumbing the tank, just need connectors.