PDA

View Full Version : Canister filter ??

Coralgurl
03-10-2012, 03:39 PM
I left my canister filter (fluval 405) full of water but not running for the last week as I wasn't sure I was going to keep this tank running. The water level was low as i moved quite a bit when i transferred everything to my other tank. I did keep the power heads going, still snails, crabs and a couple of corals and lr. Now that we've decided to keep it going, I've filled the tank back up (was down about 1/3), I opened the canister and it does not smell good. I had just changed all the media and cleaned it 2 weeks ago, so my question is should I change everything again, or just give it a good cleaning?

Cugio
03-10-2012, 03:56 PM
Just give it a good cleaning. FYI, if you turn your canister filter off for longer than 30 minutes, the majority of all that good bacteria is pretty much dead.

Leah
03-10-2012, 04:24 PM
Why not leave it off?

Coralgurl
03-10-2012, 04:32 PM
Good idea and I may be able to eventually. I was running a tunze 9011 skimmer on this tank as well, but I'm sending it back as it's not working, so I would have Nothing other than the lr for filtration. I was thinking of leaving the skimmer off as it wasn't doing much and the tank was running fine.