PDA

View Full Version : Worm ID

Kevany
03-10-2012, 12:37 PM
Noticed a worrm crawling around in the chambers on my live rock last night:jaw:, it is a red/brown color, with 4 or 5 white antenas about 1/8" - 1/4" long, and he has white strips. Anyone know what kind of worm this maybe and if I should be concerned?

Cal_stir
03-10-2012, 01:11 PM
try this link

http://www.google.ca/search?q=marine+worms+identification&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=NWJbT6vkC4j20gGxu7TbDw&ved=0CEAQsAQ&biw=1093&bih=529

Kevany
03-10-2012, 06:06 PM
It looks like it might be a Euncids, is this somthing I should try to get rid of?

Bblinks
03-10-2012, 07:51 PM
Yes you should. That sucker will be glad to snatch up fish and coral from your tank. I had a buddy who kept losing fish but never could find any remains which was puzzling. Few month later he swapped tanks and fresh water dipped all of his live rocks and that's when he found 3 giant eunice worms. Those suckers are nasty.

untamed
03-10-2012, 08:17 PM
Yes you should. That sucker will be glad to snatch up fish and coral from your tank. I had a buddy who kept losing fish but never could find any remains which was puzzling. Few month later he swapped tanks and fresh water dipped all of his live rocks and that's when he found 3 giant eunice worms. Those suckers are nasty.

OK, but there are hundreds of types and sizes. I've kept these in my tanks for many years without any fish eating. My largest was probably 3 feet long (never actually saw all of him), but even then it was only maybe 1/4" diameter. He was strictly vegetarian. I had another that ate my Xenia.

They will chew on anything, but I think one would have to be VERY large before it started taking healthy fish. Dead fish...sure.

Kevany
03-11-2012, 01:04 PM
Anyone have any suggestions how to catch the bugger?

untamed
03-11-2012, 09:39 PM
You need to remove the rock it lives in. I wouldn't be too worried about it. Consider it a beneficial scavenger.