PDA

View Full Version : board page display

kuatto
03-07-2004, 02:34 AM
I just noticed that when i logged on to the board that the info like main menu,store menu etc that is normally on the right is now showing on the left of the screen :confused:
did they change things around or am i seeing things?

smokinreefer
03-07-2004, 02:39 AM
:eek:

Stretch
03-07-2004, 02:40 AM
I prefer the right myself...........

UnderWorldAquatics
03-07-2004, 02:41 AM
Wow, confused me at first but I like it way more!

kuatto
03-07-2004, 02:47 AM
I guess it will take a bit to get use to,but thats o.k.
most other boards have menus on the left as well.Thought i was going crazy for a second.

Skimmerking
03-07-2004, 02:49 AM
thou army guys are aways complaining about everything++

LOL

mike

Aquattro
03-07-2004, 03:19 AM
Hmm, I pretty much have to say I hate it this way. That Titus, gets bored and does crazy things!! :razz:

Bob I
03-07-2004, 03:23 AM
I actually like it. The reason being is that when someone posts a giant picture, you don't lose the menu. :biggrin:

EmilyB
03-07-2004, 03:58 AM
I just wish I hadn't spent all that time trying to put it back where it was supposed to me. :neutral:

UnderWorldAquatics
03-07-2004, 04:09 AM
LMAO.....
I almost spit up.....

StirCrazy
03-07-2004, 04:11 AM
yup the bar on the left sucks.. not easy for navagation.

Steve

Jason McK
03-07-2004, 05:19 AM
I agree with Bob (Wow that a first) With the huge pic I post the menus don't get lost

J

Sorry BOB just hav'n fun

Samw
03-07-2004, 06:01 AM
Left is better for me.

EmilyB
03-07-2004, 06:10 AM
Actually, it is screwing with my left brain. :eek: Can one get rid of it totally somehow??? :razz:

whaase
03-07-2004, 03:01 PM
I liked it on the right aswell. If you are running 800x600 you have to scoll over everytime just to read messages...

Walter

whaase
03-07-2004, 03:15 PM
How about across the top of the page?

Walter

kris
03-07-2004, 08:59 PM
I always thought it might be interesting to have it go on a diagonal

christyf5
03-07-2004, 09:33 PM
I vote for "it sucks" in case anyone wants to start up a poll. :razz:

AJ_77
03-07-2004, 10:10 PM
I liked it on the right aswell. If you are running 800x600 you have to scoll over everytime just to read messages...
Walter

Walter...

whaase
03-07-2004, 10:51 PM
I liked it on the right aswell. If you are running 800x600 you have to scroll over every time just to read messages...
Walter

Walter...

On my laptop! :lol: My main system has a 19" monitor. 800x600 is the best I can get on my laptop! (Bigger just uses a virtual screen) :mrgreen:

Walter

ruck'n'reefer
03-08-2004, 12:07 AM
I vote sucks!! I didn't even know we had a right side!! :biggrin:

Samw
03-08-2004, 04:48 AM
Although I prefer side/navigation bars/frames on the left side, I noticed that only 1 of the 6 or 7 major boards that I visit even have these sidebars in their forum (and the only 1 I did find was on the left side). So, I'd say that its more ideal to have it somewhere else altogether, like on home page. The essential forum navigation links (Search, Memberlist, etc) should be in the header.

StirCrazy
03-08-2004, 05:06 AM
the right side is more intuitive as your natural progression of sight is from left to right. so when you are Finnish reading a post and it is time to do something else you naturally want to look to the right. this is the same reason the minimize, maximize and close buttons are on the top right corner of a window.

Steve

Samw
03-08-2004, 06:05 AM
In terms of general UI, navigation on the left is more functional. I really hated Microsoft for putting the scroll bar on the right side. In Nextstep, the scroll bar was on the left side and it was much easier to navigate from the left. I've used both, and left side navigation was definitely easier.

In terms of navigation, the pull down menus are all on the left (File, Edit, View, Favorites, etc). So getting from the pulldown menu to the scroll bar or sidebar would be less distance if the scrollbar and the sidebar was on the left.

When I am programming or composing a document, my cursor was more often on the left side of the editor than the right side and so it was faster for me to move from the cursor to the scrollbar (or sidebar) if it was on the left.

http://www120.pair.com/mccarthy/nextstep/intro.htmld/

"NEXTSTEP scrollbars haven't changed in 10 years, and there is still no reason for them to do so, since they were "just done right" the first time. (This is a recurring theme with NEXTSTEP, you will find.) First, the (vertical) scrollbar is on the left. Because the menu appears on the left, this saves the user time going between the two. (The scrollbars really should be on the left in the MacOS and Windows, too, considering that the most often used menu items are also towards the left.) The fact that most text in any given document will be on the left of the window is yet another reason for the scrollbar to be on the left, since that is the side of the window the cursor is most likely to be during editing. In addition, the left-side scrollbars mean that a window can be fully functional when part of it is off-screen to the right. Send the right side of a window off-screen in MacOS or Windows, and while you can get to the menus and buttons, you won't be able to scroll."

http://lucy.ifi.unibas.ch/Groups/Staff/frank/scrollers.html

"Why have the scrollbar on the left?" -Imagine you don't have a scroll button on your mouse like in the past.

The last link really shows why having the navigation on the right sucks. In that exaggerated example, you can't possibly read the text and grab the scroll bar at the same time.

So, while I prefer left side navigation/sidebar etc over the right side, I would prefer it not to be there at all if it isn't required. In our case, a couple of the items are useful (search, profile, etc) so put those at the top and get rid of the sidebar altogether. That should make everyone happy.

Aquattro
03-08-2004, 06:29 AM
Sam, in light of all the info you've provided, left hand still sucks! :razz:

zulu_principle
03-08-2004, 06:44 AM
Nice summary Sam.

I dont think ill even notice the change next week.

Wendell

Buccaneer
03-08-2004, 07:08 AM
Hey Titus ... what do you say to no sidebars at all and put the main link info ( search etc ) at the top ... then there is more room for pics :cool:

Cheers

StirCrazy
03-08-2004, 01:08 PM
so what is nextstep and what does it have to do with buliton boards? :mrgreen:

Steve

Aquattro
03-08-2004, 02:46 PM
so what is nextstep and what does it have to do with buliton boards? :mrgreen:

Steve

He posted a link that explains it.

http://www120.pair.com/mccarthy/nextstep/intro.htmld/

Quinn
03-08-2004, 03:12 PM
Interestingly this is the area of psychology I've been planning on doing my grad work in, ergonomics/human factors. However I don't think I'm qualified to conduct research into this issue at this time. :rolleyes:

Like Wendell, I think we'll all be over it in a week.

Delphinus
03-08-2004, 03:16 PM
Anybody want my old NeXTStation? Hehehe ... :mrgreen:

Gujustud
03-08-2004, 05:10 PM
I don't mind it. I run a few forums, and this is slightly different which is nice.

I would maybe recommend expanding the size of the actual forum in width (looks 640 now, maybe to 800) just to fill up the gap on the right side.

Moving some of the menu to the top/bottom would be awesome as well. Whatever the case, good job! I know how much works goes into running a forum (my largest forum has 6000+ members) so I appreciate the work thats gone into this forum!

Quinn
03-08-2004, 05:18 PM
On 800x600 resolution, the right side of the screen is already cut off. The widths of the tables need to be set to percentages rather than absolute pixels.

Buccaneer
03-08-2004, 05:20 PM
(my largest forum has 6000+ members) so I appreciate the work thats gone into this forum!

So now that you bring it up ... what kind of forum is it ?

Gujustud
03-08-2004, 05:47 PM
On 800x600 resolution, the right side of the screen is already cut off. The widths of the tables need to be set to percentages rather than absolute pixels.

True. I moreso was saying it looks like the table is 640 in width, and that setting it to around 800 would be better (but in real terms, to 100% so that depending on the viewers setting, it goes all the way to the right side, and fills up the grey area).

(my largest forum has 6000+ members) so I appreciate the work thats gone into this forum!

So now that you bring it up ... what kind of forum is it ?

Mazda6Club.com (http://www.mazda6club.com/forums)

Quinn
03-08-2004, 05:55 PM
True. I moreso was saying it looks like the table is 640 in width, and that setting it to around 800 would be better (but in real terms, to 100% so that depending on the viewers setting, it goes all the way to the right side, and fills up the grey area).

The master table appears to be set to 830 pixels, too wide for 800x600. Perhaps 96% or something to that effect would be optimal. The problem I've had with PHP is that I never know where the code I want to change is located. I was never much of a coder.

StirCrazy
12-11-2004, 10:38 PM
Just for the record, IT STILL SUCKS ON THE LEFT SIDE :confused:

Steve

Doug
12-12-2004, 01:23 PM
Just for the record, IT STILL SUCKS ON THE LEFT SIDE :confused:
Steve

My, we were in a good mood last night .