PDA

View Full Version : how do you clean your filter socks?

bignose
03-10-2012, 04:18 AM
I put mine in the wash with all my clothes. I don't like the hair and lint I get in the sock.
Looking for a better way thats safe for my tank.

toxic111
03-10-2012, 04:22 AM
I just wash them
In the machine by themselves with some baking soda

whatcaneyedo
03-10-2012, 05:34 AM
Warm water cycle, cup of bleach, inside out, second rinse, socks only. Thats how I do it.

Cleaning Filter Sock
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80099&highlight=filter+sock

How to Clean a Filter Sock
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=64693&highlight=filter+sock

Filter Sock Cleaning
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56376&highlight=filter+sock

Cal_stir
03-10-2012, 01:37 PM
i soak them inside out in a bucket with bleach a few days, rinse them a couple times and turn them right side out and soak them in the rinse for a few days, i rinse them again and move the to a larger bucket full of tap water treated with PRIME, when i have @ 20 in the treated bucket i ring them out and hang them to dry.
i have @ 30 socks in the cycle.

Reefer Rob
03-10-2012, 02:49 PM
For felt, hot water, heavy duty cycle, no bleach.

Switched to mesh. Hand wash and hang to dry.

reefgirl189
03-10-2012, 02:59 PM
By themselves in the washer with no soap (obviously), hang to dry.

ILIKECOUGARS
03-10-2012, 03:01 PM
Heavy duty cycle, cup of bleach, inside out, socks only, hang to dry. Wash 4 filter socks at a time.

Reef Supplies
03-10-2012, 03:41 PM
Yupp, bleach here as well but I don’t use the washing machine as there might be residues from other soaps. I also use Seachem prime to make sure there is no bleach residue.

Here is what we do

1- Turn them inside out and rinse them a little
2- Dump them in about 2 gallons of water with 2 cap-full’s of bleach and let them sit 24-48 hours.
3- Rinse them agian
4- Dump them in about 2 gallons of water with a couple of cap-full’s of Seachem prime, let them sit for about a day
5- Rinse and let dry

Overkill? Yeah maybe, but sure worth the extra work. Besides, it seems like a lot but it really does not take any time at all.

Ray

Cubeman
03-10-2012, 04:22 PM
Inside out in the washing machine by themselves. Just warm water with the extra rinse cycle. Once they are dry I take them outside and beat them with a hard piece of tubing which seems to remove some extra dirt particles and makes me feel good :twised:

Lance
03-10-2012, 04:48 PM
Heavy duty cycle, cup of bleach, inside out, socks only, hang to dry. Wash 4 filter socks at a time.

+1

slakker
03-10-2012, 05:56 PM
I just rinse it well then hot water wash in the machine...

HaZRaTTy
03-10-2012, 10:13 PM
Inside out in the washing machine by themselves. Just warm water with the extra rinse cycle. Once they are dry I take them outside and beat them with a hard piece of tubing which seems to remove some extra dirt particles and makes me feel good :twised:

LOL

tim the toolman
03-10-2012, 11:27 PM
Turn them inside as soon as I remove them. Shake out all the pods into a spare bucket. Dump that into a coffee filter then back into the fuge. Then wash the socks In bleach and double rinse hang to dry.

lastlight
03-11-2012, 05:24 AM
I was soaking mine in enough water to cover them in an ice cream pail with a generous amount of bleach for a few days. All 3 socks have disintegrated in the past week so maybe I used too much?

I was holding one of them letting it drain into my sump and the side blew out! That was not pretty...

bignose
03-11-2012, 05:45 AM
I will use bleach from now on my socks are turning dark and nasty. What about media bags that have velcro?

Cal_stir
03-11-2012, 01:08 PM
I was soaking mine in enough water to cover them in an ice cream pail with a generous amount of bleach for a few days. All 3 socks have disintegrated in the past week so maybe I used too much?

I was holding one of them letting it drain into my sump and the side blew out! That was not pretty...

I use @ 1/2 cup of bleach in @ 2 litres water, sometimes soak @ 5 days, never had a problem, I use felt 100 micron.
I get the wife to sew them with heavy duty thread when they are new, even the welded ones.

ILIKECOUGARS
03-11-2012, 03:52 PM
I will use bleach from now on my socks are turning dark and nasty. What about that have Velcro?

I throw the media bags with Velcro in the same wash with the filter socks.

lastlight
03-11-2012, 03:55 PM
mine were 100 micron mesh and i've just replaced with 200 micron felt. I would suspect felt bags are more durable but still I'm thinking I was using too much bleach.