PDA

View Full Version : Please help to fix my crooked stand

Casey8
03-10-2012, 02:01 AM
I built a crooked stand that was custom made by ME, and please don't ask me for the picture :redface: I was hoping when I let it sit on the carpet and fill up the tank with the water it will be OK, but it is not. One side of the tank is about more than half an inch lower of water than the other side.

I need help from some handyman here, please tell me what to do to make it more levelling without tearing this crooked stand apart to redo it.

The Grizz
03-10-2012, 02:04 AM
Shim the sides that are low with some strips of oak. I suggest oak because it is a very solid wood & will not intend from the stand & tank weight.

Casey8
03-10-2012, 02:10 AM
Thank you very much for your quick rescue :mrgreen:

gregzz4
03-10-2012, 02:49 AM
I use composite shims from places like Home Depot. In the door department. Man-made, tapered, and will not crush.

Casey8
03-10-2012, 03:05 AM
I will shop at Home Depot tomorrow and see what the difference in price between oak and composite shims, I am a cheap skate here and no job right now.

The Grizz
03-10-2012, 03:08 AM
If you know it's a 1/2" for sure a small strip of oak might be cheaper then a bunch of composite shim, I don't know for sure cause I have never had to use shims.

gregzz4
03-10-2012, 03:12 AM
12 pack of shims is $3.00 :mrgreen:

apexifd
03-10-2012, 03:15 AM
or I have few left over pcs that you have have

The Grizz
03-10-2012, 03:16 AM
12 pack of shims is $3.00 :mrgreen:

But are the shims stackable & stay solid with out shifting. I'm just thinking if you have to use 3 or 4 of them will it be solid enough?

Casey8
03-10-2012, 03:16 AM
Maybe a little less than half inch or maybe more, I am blind with milimeters. But I think it is not a big deal compared with an half inch difference right now. I don't want the stand to collapse one day. I will go with oak if it is cheaper.

Casey8
03-10-2012, 03:20 AM
or I have few left over pcs that you have have

You are so kind to me as always, but thanks. I'll go Home Depot tomorrow anyway, I just want to get out of the house, I have been sitting around here for over 2 weeks now. No job :sad:

gregzz4
03-10-2012, 03:25 AM
Very solid. They are man-made, composite stuff. Won't compress, even wet, like wood can. They are 9"+ and tapered very nicely. Plus, score them a couple times, and they readily snap off. Can't go wrong with 'em.
Wish I could link them, but even with the code from my receipt, they won't come up on the Home Depot site where I bought them.
It's these, but grey instead of brown
http://www.homedepot.com/buy/lumber-composites-shims-wood-shingles/shim-it-152940.html

Casey8
03-10-2012, 03:31 AM
Very solid. They are man-made, composite stuff. Won't compress, even wet, like wood can. They are 9"+ and tapered very nicely. Plus, score them a couple times, and they readily snap off. Can't go wrong with 'em.
Wish I could link them, but even with the code from my receipt, they won't come up on the Home Depot site where I bought them.
It's these, but grey instead of brown
http://www.homedepot.com/buy/lumber-composites-shims-wood-shingles/shim-it-152940.html

hehe ... I can't go wrong for $3, it is a perfect fit for my pocket :razz:

cuz
03-10-2012, 03:33 AM
If you've got nothing but time on your hands why not just fix the stand?

Casey8
03-10-2012, 03:39 AM
If you've got nothing but time on your hands why not just fix the stand?

You just don't know how lazy I am yet, I actually enjoy every minute just sitting around doing nothing ... just no money. And I don't think I am able to fix it, because the wood I got cut at Home Depot were so uneven at the beginning. I didn't notice untill I started to build it. Too late now, all glued and screwed together. I am so embarrassed just to look at my crooked stand that I have made. The most ugliest stand that nobody could have imagined it ! :redface:

cuz
03-10-2012, 04:01 AM
lol.. fair enough, I am however really curious what it looks like now!!lol

Casey8
03-10-2012, 04:07 AM
lol.. fair enough, I am however really curious what it looks like now!!lol

hahaha ... I am hiding it at the corner of my bedroom so no one will pay attention to it. That's why I was saying "please don't ask for a picture" at the beginning.