PDA

View Full Version : Substrate size

Starry
03-09-2012, 09:08 PM
Whats the consensus on live sand for both sps and sand dwellers, is Caribsea Ocean Direct Original Grade to fine? (snow storm) or should I go with the Caribsea Arag-Alive Special Grade Reef Sand? Plan on running a 3" sand bed and have my heart set on a pearly jawfish,as well as a few other sand dwellers.
Flow will be 800 gph return, 2 mp40's and 4 mj 1200 with Hydor-Flo attachments. Will be running a dsb of 6" in my fuge if that matters.

fishytime
03-09-2012, 09:14 PM
I would go with the latter......or agramax select.....its not too fine and not too coarse.....

Reefgoat
03-09-2012, 10:22 PM
I have the caribsea original and would recommend against it. I have a bag of Aragamax select sitting here that I plan to replace it with. The Aragamax select has a nice small size without the very fine dust of the original grade. It has a very clean, fine, consistent look. I probably prefer it visually to the special grade reef sand but the special grade does have at least one significant addtional benefit.

I have the special grade reef sand in my larger tank. I really like it. It is great for placing frags on the sand as although it can still be burrowed in by animals it doesn't move too easily and definitely doesn't blow around.

Starry
03-09-2012, 11:27 PM
Anyone know who sells Natures ocean substrates here in Canada?

http://www.livesand.com/

mseepman
03-10-2012, 06:12 AM
For the most part Live Sand is a scam. Today I bought three 40lb bags of dry special grade sea floor. When I researched the live sand pretty much every expert says it's all fluff and that a cup of sand from someone else will bring life to your whole sand bed quickly just as well.

Starry
03-10-2012, 12:28 PM
True, but would rather not have to wash 300 lbs of sand. can pour the "live" right in.

Starry
03-10-2012, 03:37 PM
Also, I dont think its all fluff. a year or so back I set up a 20 gallon using dry macro rock, and some ocean direct live sand. a few weeks later the sand was swarming with pods and spagetti worms. no way they came in the rock. gonna go with mostly agramax select, and put OD original on top,unles I can find something better.