PDA

View Full Version : Question for the beananimal overflow experts

Werbo
03-09-2012, 02:40 PM
For the beananimal overflow is it possible to have the full siphon and secondary drain T'd off after the ball valve so only one pipe enters the sump (into one filter sock). The third emergency drain will run independently.
Thanks.

Gripenfelter
03-09-2012, 03:12 PM
For the beananimal overflow is it possible to have the full siphon and secondary drain T'd off after the ball valve so only one pipe enters the sump (into one filter sock). The third emergency drain will run independently.
Thanks.

Kind of defeats the purpose of running a bean animal system.

I would leave it as 3 pipes going into the sump.

I'm also guessing it would be harder to tune.

ScubaSteve
03-09-2012, 03:17 PM
The secondary pipe would let air into the full-siphon pipe, thus killing the siphon. So you won't be able to handle the flow of the full siPhon, let alone the additional flow the secondary pipe would bring. So, no.

Cal_stir
03-09-2012, 03:18 PM
the sec drain has air in it so it would break the siphon on the main drain

Werbo
03-09-2012, 03:58 PM
I thought the full siphon would be broken. Thanks for confirming.

I will have a large 42LX12DX5W external overflow.

1. Do I fullly submerge the full siphion?
2. Does the secondary drain set the level of the overflow? What should the level of the overflow be in relation to the main tank?
3. Is the emergency drain approx 1 inch higher than the secondary drain?
4. The top of these stand pipes have any special plumbing. Anything similar to a durso? Or strainers to keep fish out?

Sorry for all the questions but this will be my first proper overflow. I you have a similar large overflow could you post pictures of your beananimal. Thanks in advance.
Tyler

Cal_stir
03-09-2012, 04:14 PM
All the bulkheads are on the same horizontal line.
Both the siphon and sec drains have turned down elbows at the same level but because air is allowed the enter the sec and water does not flow until the water line is up to the bulkhead, the sec is used to control the water level in the overflow box.
The emerg drain elbow is turned up and above the water level in the overflow box.

braid11
03-09-2012, 04:39 PM
[QUOTE=Cal_stir;691730]....the sec is used to control the water level in the overflow box. ...QUOTE]

Isn't it the siphon with the gate valve that controlls the water level in the overflow? That has been my experience. Once it gets to full siphon, I can tune it a little: open it a bit more to carry a bit more flow, or close it a bit to flow a bit less, changing the water level in the overflow.

Tom

braid11
03-09-2012, 04:52 PM
2. Does the secondary drain set the level of the overflow? What should the level of the overflow be in relation to the main tank?

Tyler

The level of water within the overflow is not that big a deal, unless it is very deep. Then if the level is low, water will make noise as it falls over the edge down into the overflow.

Mine is only about 4.5 inches deep, and as long the siphon is working the level makes no difference in noise.

Just barley cover the top of the downturned Tees.

If you ever want to run a wave box, make sure you have about 1.5" from the top of the overflow, to the top of the tank. When it's all working proper, the top of the overflow will be the water level in the tank.

Tom

Tom

Ryan-b
03-09-2012, 04:56 PM
I have quick question about the bean animal aswell. Mine is up and running, but when I start it up it will not get a full siphon unless I pull the elbow out, and allow it to get the full siphon. Once it has a full siphon I can put the elbow back in and it runs fine.

I have also let it sit for a good 20 mins with no siphon started.

Sorry for the hijack.

ScubaSteve
03-09-2012, 04:59 PM
I thought the full siphon would be broken. Thanks for confirming.

I will have a large 42LX12DX5W external overflow.

1. Do I fullly submerge the full siphion?
3. Is the emergency drain approx 1 inch higher than the secondary drain?
4. The top of these stand pipes have any special plumbing. Anything similar to a durso? Or strainers to keep fish out?

Sorry for all the questions but this will be my first proper overflow. I you have a similar large overflow could you post pictures of your beananimal. Thanks in advance.
Tyler

1. Fully submerge the full siphon otherwise you get horrible sucking sounds. At the sump, don't submerge the end more than a couple inches otherwise you won't get the siphon started.

2. Yes, the secondary drain sets the level (sort of). The main siphon handles most of the flow, so with somefine tuning IT sets the level of water in the overflow (if the flow in = flow out, there is no change in water level) but if set this way it's easy to cause fluctuations. Decrease the flow through the main siphon with a gate valve until water JUST starts to trickle into the secondary over flow (thus the secondary effectively sets the height of water in the overflow box). If you have the bulkheads on the bottom of your overflow box (ie. you have risers coming up vertically from the bulkheads), I would set the secondary overflow a little bit higher than the entrance to the main siphon. This gives you a bit of leeway if you cause a fluctuation (like sticking your arm or a bag of frags in the tank) before the water level in the overflow box gets down to the main siphon and makes horrible sucking sounds.

3. I have my emergency drain and a straight pipe coming up from the bulkhead below (no elbows or anything). The end of the emergency is about 2" higher than the entrance of the secondary (so about 1" higher than the middle of the T I use for the secondary) and is about 1" higher than the operating height of the water. Again, this gives some leeway in terms of fluctuations so the system doesn't flip out if you stick your arm in the tank.

4. The main siphon is closed (as in no air can enter the pipe), so nothing special there. I'd add a strainer if you don't have teeth on your over flow (I had a cleaner shrimp who used to ride that water slide continuously until he took one ride too many). Secondary and emergency pipes... I wouldn't bother putting strainers on them. There's little to no flow through them to actually suck up critters (though they could crawl in) and they are basically your "Oh S***" buttons, so my thinking is to have as little restriction on them as possible. Just my opinion, others may differ.

In terms of special piping on the secondary, you just need an air tight cap on the end of the pipe with a hole drilled to fit a piece of airline tubing into. The tubing is bent over and set just above the water line in the overflow. If the water rises to plug the end of it it will cause the secondary to become a full siphon and it will literally drain your overflow like flushing a toilet (Very cool to watch... errr, the overflow, no the toilet).

Unfortunately, this is the only pick I have handy of my overflow. If you need more, let me know.

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad114/Nergetic/127.jpg

Werbo
03-09-2012, 05:58 PM
Thanks guys. In summary:

1. Main drain fully submerged with a strainer 3-4 inches below the secondary drain.
2. Secondary drain has a T fitting followed by a down turned elbow to set the height of the overflow box (2 inches below the water level of the main tank). Airline tubing (as in picture) coming out the top.
3. Emergency drain with a T fitting and an upturned elbow (to allow stop water from flowwing when your arm is in the tank). Cap the emergency drain to make it air tight?

Cal_stir
03-09-2012, 06:02 PM
1. Fully submerge the full siphon otherwise you get horrible sucking sounds. At the sump, don't submerge the end more than a couple inches otherwise you won't get the siphon started.

2. Yes, the secondary drain sets the level (sort of). The main siphon handles most of the flow, so with somefine tuning IT sets the level of water in the overflow (if the flow in = flow out, there is no change in water level) but if set this way it's easy to cause fluctuations. Decrease the flow through the main siphon with a gate valve until water JUST starts to trickle into the secondary over flow (thus the secondary effectively sets the height of water in the overflow box). If you have the bulkheads on the bottom of your overflow box (ie. you have risers coming up vertically from the bulkheads), I would set the secondary overflow a little bit higher than the entrance to the main siphon. This gives you a bit of leeway if you cause a fluctuation (like sticking your arm or a bag of frags in the tank) before the water level in the overflow box gets down to the main siphon and makes horrible sucking sounds.

3. I have my emergency drain and a straight pipe coming up from the bulkhead below (no elbows or anything). The end of the emergency is about 2" higher than the entrance of the secondary (so about 1" higher than the middle of the T I use for the secondary) and is about 1" higher than the operating height of the water. Again, this gives some leeway in terms of fluctuations so the system doesn't flip out if you stick your arm in the tank.

4. The main siphon is closed (as in no air can enter the pipe), so nothing special there. I'd add a strainer if you don't have teeth on your over flow (I had a cleaner shrimp who used to ride that water slide continuously until he took one ride too many). Secondary and emergency pipes... I wouldn't bother putting strainers on them. There's little to no flow through them to actually suck up critters (though they could crawl in) and they are basically your "Oh S***" buttons, so my thinking is to have as little restriction on them as possible. Just my opinion, others may differ.

In terms of special piping on the secondary, you just need an air tight cap on the end of the pipe with a hole drilled to fit a piece of airline tubing into. The tubing is bent over and set just above the water line in the overflow. If the water rises to plug the end of it it will cause the secondary to become a full siphon and it will literally drain your overflow like flushing a toilet (Very cool to watch... errr, the overflow, no the toilet).

Unfortunately, this is the only pick I have handy of my overflow. If you need more, let me know.

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad114/Nergetic/127.jpg

yours is an external box so you don't need elbows and your box is a bit deeper than most internal overflows.
you want to set the system up so small amount of water is flowing thru the sec drain, as much as you can without it gurgling, that sets the height of the water in the box(that and where you put the bulkheads)

Cal_stir
03-09-2012, 06:04 PM
Thanks guys. In summary:

1. Main drain fully submerged with a strainer 3-4 inches below the secondary drain.
2. Secondary drain has a T fitting followed by a down turned elbow to set the height of the overflow box (2 inches below the water level of the main tank). Airline tubing (as in picture) coming out the top.
3. Emergency drain with a T fitting and an upturned elbow (to allow stop water from flowwing when your arm is in the tank). Cap the emergency drain to make it air tight?

do you have an internal or external overflow?

ScubaSteve
03-09-2012, 06:35 PM
do you have an internal or external overflow?

He has a 42x12Hx5W external overflow (on the 1st page).

ScubaSteve
03-09-2012, 06:42 PM
Thanks guys. In summary:

1. No need for 3-4". 1" will suffice. I'd say 2" tops.

2. Correct, though it doesn't have to be 2" below. To low and it splashes; too close to the top and you might have issues with overflowing the box if the water level changes suddenly (again, arm...). Mine is 2.75"-ish below the surface doing 600 gph on a 12" wide overflow. No splashing.

3. Emergency drain: don't cap it to make it air tight and no need for a T or elbow. Just run a pipe straight up and have it a bit above the normal water level.

Cal_stir
03-09-2012, 06:53 PM
He has a 42x12Hx5W external overflow (on the 1st page).

DOH! my bad

Werbo
03-09-2012, 08:25 PM
This is great info. Thanks again.

Could you provide a picture or link to an example of a strainer used on the full siphion drain

scubadawg
03-09-2012, 10:55 PM
I noticed that you have caps on 2 of your overflow tubes, is that necessary?

Cal_stir
03-09-2012, 11:54 PM
the caps are for cleaning out the pipes if nec